Discussion: Senate GOP Leader Jabs Trump On Trade In Op-Ed

1 Like

Let’s start by trading Cornyn for a better senator!

2 Likes

“Certainly, there are ways we can improve trade agreements in the future for American businesses and consumers. And that’s why legislation that provides strong enforcement of our trade laws and assistance to better prepare American workers with the skills to compete in a global economy is so important.”

You start working on that you pasty white gas-bag - along with holding hearings on Obama’s SCOTUS nominee and other stuff US senators are supposed to do. Quit f*ucking around! (pissed off Texan who hates this sorry excuse for a human being)

4 Likes

You are not alone in being a Texan who hates this, well actually both TX senators.

2 Likes

You mean for something useful, like, say, a collectible?

3 Likes

Oh, yes! That would be so sweet!

“[T] he tremendous benefits trade provides folks here at home.”

Cui bono?

Sure, my retired in-laws can save five cents on each purchase of cheap, Bangladeshi tchotchke.

Made by kids chained to factory floors, on 24-hour shifts, in buildings barely resisting collapse.

But the inescapable truth is the overwhelming spoils of “free trade” go to the very rich.

The very, very rich.

Who then enjoy obscene tax rates and shelters.

It’s short-term GDP growth, for a sliver of Americans, who sacrifice entire communities for a quick buck.

Globalism (n.): An economic racket that allows corporate capital to flow freely across borders, while sealing those same borders against financial audit, worker rights, and environmental protections.

4 Likes

Cornyn has the gall to criticize others for “exaggeration”? Please. “Not intended to be a factual statement.” He’s still absolutely worthless, and will next be heard to pledge to vote for HO. Save us, voters of Texas, please.

2 Likes

Is there anyone sane in Texas?

2 Likes

“And that’s why legislation that provides . . . assistance to better prepare American workers with the skills to compete in a global economy is so important.”

Translation: The average Wages in Manufacturing in Mexico decreased to 2.10 USD/Hour in June 2016 and we have to educate American workers on how to survive and prosper at that income level if we are going to compete in a global economy.

2 Likes

Cornyn’s not the brightest bulb in the Senate, so of course there’s a Texas joke about him!

“While suturing a cut on the hand of a 75 year old rancher,
who’s hand was caught in the gate while working cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man. Eventually the topic got around to Cornyn being elected by a mass of media led, brainless conservatives to be our Senators.”

The old rancher said, “Well, ya know, Cornyn is a ‘Post Turtle’”.
Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a ‘post turtle’ was. The old rancher said, “When you’re driving down a country road on you come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that’s a 'post turtle”.

"The old rancher saw the puzzled look on the doctor’s face so he continued to explain. “You know he didn’t get up there by himself, he doesn’t belong up there, and he doesn’t know what to do while he’s up there, and you just wonder what kind of dumb ass put him up there to begin with”.

4 Likes

Here’s a photo of Cornyn after a week-end on Brokeback Mountain! Isn’t he a fine looking dude?

I miss Beavis and Butthead. The Great Cornholio was one of the all time Super Bowl halftime entertainments and predicted the today’s version of the Great Cornholio running for President on a Deport Them All Platform.

1 Like

“Certainly, there are ways we can improve trade agreements in the future for American businesses and consumers. And that’s why legislation that provides strong enforcement of our trade laws and assistance to better prepare American workers with the skills to compete in a global economy is so important.”

This was the same issue that Sen. Tim Kaine used over the weekend – enforcement – for why he does not support the TPP.

And it appears this is an issue President Obama’s team is working to address about TPP and trade ageements in general, by getting the TPP partners to formalize agreements legislatively that are contained in the TPP text. At least one – Vietnam – recently has passed legislation to formalize an area of agreement, and a couple others are also taking that step.

Another issue involves strategy. At a recent joint press conference in Singapore, their president made a good point, that TPP also involves defense and other types of agreements, and that if TPP fails, it could undermine confidence in the US, which could also extend to reduced confidence in our willingness on security agreements. Others have also made this point.

Also, China is also wooing Asian nations to join the trade pact they are trying to establish, and if we lose these countries to China’s orbit we will be sidelined in a growing and important region.

To say nothing of how China is not expected to uphold enforceable worker rights or environmental standards, which will lead to a race to the bottom.

Also, and not to get too conspiratorial here, but I wonder if money from multinationals is being used to influence anti-TPP sentiment in Congress and the general public; one of the potential benefits of TPP is that it could reduce the economic incentives to outsource to low-wage nations, something the multi-nationals might be reluctant to lose.

1 Like

Settle down, Beavis!

I had to try to explain Beavis & Butthead to my roommate from Spain - I could just not do it justice - but I think he got it eventually.

Ha. I kind of think Spain might have carried the show on their version of MTV. Probably impossible to dub into Spanish…maybe subtitles.

Are they not on Youtube so you could at least show him a sampling?

This was during the early 90s :grinning: