Discussion: Scientists Say Harvey Rainfall May Become Norm For Future Storms

Fake news! Fake news! FAKE NEWS!

USA: http://wtvr.com/2017/06/15/president-trump-tangier-island/

Ireland: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/17/donald-trump-ireland-golf-resort-wall-climate-change

USA 2: http://fortune.com/2016/10/24/donald-trump-hurricane-payout-mar-a-lago/

Told ya.

2 Likes

And, thankfully, there’s a song for Pence too.

Watch your backs Scientists.
Nonbelievers and “The Donald” will crush you.

3 Likes

Just because …

… he’s brilliant.

Second best band I ever heard live (after The Tubes).

Ah …

Boys like you were born to waste,
You never listen to a word I say
And if you think you’re here to mess around,
You’re making a big mistake,
Cause you’re gonna find out the hard way,
You can take the hard way.

No matter what I do or say,
You’re much too dumb to educate.
One day life’s going to turn around and slap you in the face,
Then you’re gonna find out the hard way.
You can take the hard way.

Well, you’ll do it your way and I’ll do it my way,
And we’ll see who’s the one to survive.
You’ll find that with no foundation
Or qualifications
There’s no way that you can get by,
No, there’s no way you can get by.

Why don’t you take the easy way?
Why don’t you co-operate?
Don’t just sit there and vegetate.
Do you want to end up illiterate?

You think that life’s a vacation
And you’ve no inclination
To dust away the cobwebs of your mind.
Now it’s time for confrontation
And I’m tired of being patient,
So I’ve got to be cruel to be kind.
You’ve got to be cruel to be kind.

I’m wasting my vocation teaching you to write neat
When you’re only fit to sweep the streets.
Your intellect is such
That it requires a killer’s touch.
So I’m going to play it your way,
We’ll take the hard way.

You should to take the hard way.

1 Like

I hope the “both sides” of this post doesn’t become the norm, because both source sides are saying the same thing…that the warming planet is causing more severe storms…and we have the ability to slow that down (if not the political/economical will). That Mass guy is an idiot who contradicts himself in order to say “nothing to see here.”. Granted, our “all of recorded time” only extends to late 1800s with weather, but Jesus Christ in a boat what is it about 1 in 3000 year events becoming more frequent that doesn’t ring a warning bell with these deniers???

9 Likes

This article seems exceedingly cautious about the impact of climate change on the dimensions (but not the existence) of this hurricane/storm. There is a good, detailed piece in the Guardian yesterday about how this storm was aggravated by factors attributable to global (and in particular marine) warming. Can’t find link.

5 Likes

I think this ^ is the link.

7 Likes

Harvey wasn’t a giant hurricane. It just got stuck over the coast. Most hurricanes would have moved on quickly. That a hurricane would end up stuck right over the coast was an accident of the jet stream and was inevitable.

The real culprit is Texans don’t like planning. Planning gets in the way of freedom and drives up costs. They just want to build where they want to build. The lack of zoning laws in Houston as well as the lack of organized thought going into to development of the city has a lot more to do with this disaster than global warming.

3 Likes

The careful tenor of this article is what scientists rightly sound like when they haven’t had a chance to look at all the data. Unfortunately, it is this scientific tone that either the truly ignorant or the willfully ignorant point to in support of their “no one is saying it is climate change” argument.

3 Likes

From the abovementioned Guardian piece:

The stalling is due to very weak prevailing winds, which are failing to steer the storm off to sea, allowing it to spin around and wobble back and forth. This pattern, in turn, is associated with a greatly expanded subtropical high pressure system over much of the US at the moment, with the jet stream pushed well to the north. This pattern of subtropical expansion is predicted in model simulations of human-caused climate change.

5 Likes

I am not sure we can assign this to global warming because the jet stream does normally meander.

" See , I TOLD you it was NOTHING to do with climate change . You did not believe me " .

Sometimes a bunch of factors come together. Sure, a storm like this could have gone Cat4 in two days without global warming, if the conditions in the gulf had been just right. And sure, even without global warming you could have had two stalled high-pressure systems sitting in just the right place. But when you’re shooting craps, the idea is not to use dice that are loaded against you.

And yeah, building in floodplains and covering all your water-absorbing surfaces in asphalt and concrete also not a good idea. Put it all together, and it’s a recipe for the disaster we have now.

2 Likes

Almost got crushed outside a theater in Pittsburgh waiting to get in during the Preservation tour. Great show though. They acted out Preservation Act 1 & 2. One of the best concerts I have ever been to and I have been to at a lot of them.

Bruce Stirling, a born Texan and Austin graduate, postulated in his 1994 novel Heavy Weather that much of Texas would be uninhabitable for humans without tornado and storm-proof homes by 2031. Here’s a question: Is a dollar spent on rebuilding Houston infrastructure a better investment for the country than moving people to safer areas elsewhere in the state or country?

1 Like

This might be a good time to mention that Pruitt just relaxed EPA requirements on gasoline “to help the victims of Harvey” amidst a refinery slowdown. And, simultaneously denied a request from a biofuels consortium to raise the limit on the amount of (GHG-reducing) biofuel mixins allowed that would have had a similar effect of raising refinery output.

Pruitt working to speed up global warming under cover of helping the victims of Harvey.

(edited for clarity)

3 Likes

This article seems exceedingly cautious

Which is a good thing. Blurting out unproven assumptions is how the careful work of scientists gets discredited.

6 Likes

BUT…BUT…BUT…the Petro-Chemical industry is there and it needs employees

1 Like