Discussion: Schumer: We Have To Put ‘Meat On The Bones’ Of DACA Agreement With Trump

2 Likes

As long as it “bones” Donnie’s base, I’m good with it…

3 Likes

Just keep a careful eye on what gets thrown into the stew while you aren’t looking, chef Schumer.

4 Likes

The revelations by the co-author of “The Art of the Deal” are being proven true on a daily basis.

2 Likes

Structurally Unsound

Quite apart from Trump’s inability to keep the thread of any thought or intention long enough to deliver on any deal, this supposed deal never made any structural sense.

Trump could decide to just leave DACA in place. It’s an Executive Order, not a statute, therefore whether it continues or is rescinded is (almost) entirely at his discretion. He doesn’t need D votes to take either action, therefore Pelosi and Schumer can’t help him do it, and aren’t needed to help him do it.

Maybe you could still have some deal between the Congressional Ds and Trump whereby he lets DACA survive, and they give him something else in return, something apart from legislation. But everything I’ve seen written about this “deal” says that it was an agreement to seek a legislative solution. And the only thing the Ds are mentioned as agreeing to is greater funding for “border security”, as long as that doesn’t involve a wall. But the Ds are already for greater “border security”. That’s been one half of our messaging on the undocumented for decades. We’re for “increased border security” and “a pathway to citizenship”, and nothing an iota less nebulous. There’s zero concession for Ds to support more funding for “border security”.

Not that Trump and Congressional Ds can’t make any sort of deal anyway that means anything about any legislation, unless Trump is negotiating on behalf of the R Congressional leadership. Only that R leadership can allow any sort of legislation to come to the floor to be voted on. Any talk of a legislative fix covering the same ground as DACA that did not include the R Congressional leadership was just fantasy league baseball. Trump can’t bring legislation to the floor of either chamber, nor can the D Congressional leadership. The R leadership has to be on board and at the center of any deals that involve legislation.

People may be a bit disoriented by the event that was presented as a “deal” with Ds that Trump sprang on the R Congressional leadership whereby hurricane assistance and a raise in the debt ceiling would be passed as a package deal. But whether or not the R leadership really was as surprised as it seemed, this was an outcome they wanted anyway. They were undoubtedly quite happy to let Trump and the Ds take all the credit for this deal, because a clean raise, or a raise linked only to something they wanted passed anyway — hurricane relief — is something they dearly wished they could get but were afraid to embrace too openly for fear of their party’s complete idiots.

The R leadership was a silent partner to that debt-ceiling/hurricane “deal", but there can be no mistake that the swift passage of this deal clearly means that they dearly wanted this outcome, and managed to get there without taking the heat for it from their crazies. It is equally clear from the fact that this same leadership has not already got a legislative DACA fix on the floor to let Ds and their party’s non-crazies pass easily, that the leadership does not clearly want this outcome. Without them, there’s no deal that is structurally sound, or has any practical effect.

Trump v. Sessions has been an interesting battle, probably the strangest of them all in this Administration.

2 Likes

OFFS. Is Schumer now channeling Gary Cohn?

1 Like

Ain’t like they really have any say in the final vote.

1 Like
       Schumer: We Have To Put ‘Meat On The Bones’

As opposed to ’ throwing them red meat ’ ? ? …

Careful Chuck …

There are some who don’t like to give up their dinner —

1 Like

Both racists, but one cares about making his actions look like they’re in accord with the law.

1 Like

“He called the wall a ‘medieval solution to a modern problem’…”

“…from a feudal party that cheers torture, crusades, and a Russian lord.”

“…rejects science, evolution, and global warming.”

“…believes the Earth is 6,000 years old.”

“…views the Book of Revelations as a scientific journal.”

“…and thinks burning heretics, women, and gay people is actually a pretty good idea.”

4 Likes

Impaling can actually be moved to the category of ’ art ’ –

1 Like

I just not hopeful because the current GOP congress keeps proving how inept they are getting anything done eventhough they are in the majority

1 Like

I don’t know. These younger Impalers just don’t have the work ethic. I mean, how hard is it to have the piked heads looking the proper direction? I’m constantly cleaning up their lazy beheadings, and don’t get me started on digital/analog. I’m sorry but digital just doesn’t have the warmth needed to reproduce screams properly.

1 Like

We have all lost with the decline of ’ apprenticeship ’ —

1 Like

I just want to know was there an actual deal? Or more of an agreement that there wouldn’t be funding for the wall?

No easy answer to that question. Trump, Pelosi and Schumer made an oral agreement, but it’s entirely dependent on their getting majorities in the House and Senate to send a bill to the White House. As Sam Goldwyn memorably stated, “An oral agreement ain’t worth the paper it’s printed on,” and an agreement with Trump is even more worthless. Nonetheless, it’s a step in the right direction, Trump is only interested in improving his approval rating, and it will be while before this is final. Compromise really is built in to our governmental system, it’s long past time the GOP understands that simple fact. I remain cautiously optimistic. The only points I’ve heard are support for DACA legislation in return for “border security,” not necessarily the Wall.

1 Like