Discussion: Schumer Slams Obama Budget Cuts To Anti-Terror Funds

Discussion for article #246025

Interestingly enough, I haven’t yet found any statement from Schumer about congress refusing to hear budget testimony from the administration.

15 Likes

The President’s budget will not even get a hearing in Congress.

Both budget committees have already said this, so why is Schumer even mentioning it ?

What is he agenda ?

8 Likes

Both budget committees have already said this, so why is Schumer even mentioning it ?
What is he agenda ?

it’s in the article … because a significant chunk (if not most) of those funds would end up in ny, esp in nypd anti-terrorism unit. and they do like all the toys they’ve been able to accumulate over these past several years.

9 Likes

What specific programs has Obama’s budget targeted for reduced funding or defunding? What or whom is Schumer trying to protect? He’d probably say “the American people” – but there are others who see $$$ first, and security second. Any speculation about why he is out there making this statement now publicly, instead of wrangling behind the scenes? What is the political motive?

4 Likes

… I can’t believe this freaking prick is next in line for Democratic Senate leader after Reid. He is such an asshole.

If there’s anyone on the Dem side who symbolizes what’s wrong with the “Establishment” nowadays it’s Schumer. I swear if someone ever actually took a look, they’d find about a few dozen corporate logos tatooed or branded on his ass. Maybe one day I’ll be proven wrong, but to me he’s basically a rent boy for anyone with enough money. He’s my current runner up for the “Joe Lieberman Wannabe” award.

8 Likes

I was asking the same questions below before I saw your post. Thanks!

somebodies wallet is gonna be a little bit emptier because of those cuts…I think that shummer is one of those third way dems…bought and payed for …by wall street and lobbiest he is one of the dems who needs an attitude adjustment… while out of office

2 Likes

Nowadays? How about always. If this is as commenter Enon above mentions, an attempt to protect financial interests in the state of NY, then its the same old story of congressmen fighting to keep military bases open in their states or districts. They represent their constituency first before the entire country. There is an overlap of interest in the apparatus of security – but I cannot tell what it is that he wants to keep funded. Is one of the programs slated for cuts the one that supplies surplus military vehicles and weaponry to small towns? That is the most visible pork…but surely there is some specific scared cow(s) that’s on the chopping block that he is trying to protect.

2 Likes

I don’t know exactly either – but suspect he might be greasing the wheels for democrats who are up against re-election so they can tell their constituents that they are fighting for their interests – meaning programs that exist within a particular state, or to give the impression that certain democrats are more hawkish on matters of security. than Obama. Schumer has never been the strongest ally of Obama.

He is jewish – and so am I – and while I do not agree with Schumer on some issues, I think he is representing the interests of people of NY, not the state of Israel. Your implication that he has duel loyalty has the unmistakable smell of anti-semitism.

4 Likes

NYC has been using federal “terror” funds to shore up the city budget for years – well past when it made any sense… and because they’ve been none-to-shy about needing the largess, it’s allowed other areas of the country to also get in the act (remember the sno-cone machines) rather than using the money more tactically to shore up our defenses.

3 Likes

Pretty ugly comment, Charlie.

2 Likes

There’s still a lot of moving parts for anyone to make a definitive conclusion about Schumer’s remarks.

Even though Obama’s budget has been declared “dead on arrival,” some parts, particularly his call for increased spending on cyber-security and a “moonshot” expenditure on cancer research, seem likely to wind up in an eventual budget.

Some of this is election year politics and some is jockeying for political favor. Much more will become apparent later this year.

1 Like

There is still almost $1 Million a day in the scaled back budget to be apportioned to the big cities. Not bad in my view.

1 Like

Absolutely ugly.

1 Like

In light of recent attacks in Paris and San Bernardino…

Not a penny of that bloated “anti-terror” (what a mindless and meaningless abuse of the English language that phrase is) line-item in the DOA proposed budget would have done anything to prevent or respond to the San Bernardino type mass shootings then, now, or in the future.

Besides, Congress won’t even go through the motions of scheduling a hearing on the President’s proposed budget, so your sanctimonious grandstanding is less that worthless.

3 Likes

Exactly. The man is an egomaniac who loves to hear his own voice.

2 Likes

Hey, Ted Nugent, Stormfront is over —> here

1 Like

That’s the problem with terrorism funding. Anyone who dare tries to improve upon it, make it more efficient, make it more in line with the overall budget and with our present needs, gets called “weak on terror” or worse. And, unfortunately, it usually works.

1 Like