Discussion: Schiff: If Trump Fired Special Counsel It Would 'Be The Last Straw' For Congress

This is a ‘dare’ ?

5 Likes

I don’t buy it. If Trump holds his base, the Republicans won’t move. They can’t.

5 Likes

sounds like wishful thinking

3 Likes

“I don’t think that Congress would sit still and allow the President to pick his own investigator,” Schiff said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

Schiff said he hopes it “would be the last straw” for many Republicans in Congress who have “stayed their hand and not been willing to speak out” against Trump’s decisions.

GOP response: “Here, hold my beer…”

4 Likes

I wouldn’t hold my breath. The cons have hitched their wagons to the incompetent peckerhead, and they’re in it for the long-haul. Not a one of these guys has any integrity. Not a fuckin’ one!

4 Likes

Maybe the Democrats.

Actually the Republicans need Trump as the target of a vile press, celebrities and liberals in general.
It will be one of their big campaign issues in 2018

1 Like

“I think he should let Bob Mueller do his job, do his job independently and do his job quickly,” House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) said.

There's the rub, the out they'll eventually exercise. Mueller's investigation could no doubt run for years were it properly conducted and each avenue of malfeasance and criminality explored. It doesn't lend itself to quick resolution.
Mueller will be painted as partisan and vindictive when his efforts run long. And the mere length of his investigation will be used as reason enough to call it into question. However, his termination will abort any concerns about duration.
2 Likes

Trump: I have many more straws up my sleeve. I will abolish Congress next, just those who disagree with me.

3 Likes

Go on Donnie Two Scoops, make Comey’s day.

If Louise Mensch is right, Comey recorded everything, so Trump is well and truly forked…

But that base just might be shrinking, which would spell trouble for Rs. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-base-is-shrinking/

2 Likes

That would be rich, Comey had himself wired. Bold move if true.

I think what Schiff and the rest of us need to face is that the GOP doesn’t want this investigated, and in fact, they are building a revised party around a marriage of Russian political technology and Russian money to American resentment and greed.

Trump is just the first born.

4 Likes

If Trump gets Rosenstein or his replacement to fire Mueller, Dems (especially in Congress) will have to forget about making peace with America’s sainted abusers and make the case against them in every district, every time, between now and the end of 2020. I am reading this as Schiff pulling the dad move “don’t make me turn this car around”.

3 Likes

If Rosenstein fires Mueller he immediately gets put on the Christmas card list of 63+ million voters.

From your mouth to God’s ears.

I can’t imagine Republicans voting to reinstate the Special Counsel Act.

1 Like

After all his years in government, you’d think Schiff would know Republicans better. I think Trump will eventually try to fire Mueller, and, if he succeeds, then the majority of House & Senate Republicans will back him.

Because that’s who they are now.

3 Likes

One of the Koch Brothers lesser known industries? Funding GOP last straws. Plenty where those came from…

1 Like

If that’s true, then the only way back is armed insurrection. On the plus side, we could finally finish the Civil War.

7 Likes