Discussion: Santorum: 'I Don't Know' What The Pope Is Talking About Anymore

Discussion for article #232313

I’m no expert, but I’d say the actual teachings of Christ.

20 Likes

There is a difference between not liking what he is saying and not knowing what he is saying, Ricky. But you know that. So why make yourself sound stupid? You know exactly what he is saying. And if you need a little help I will translate because I speak Pope. Ricky, you and your so-called Christian conservatives better change your ways or you will find yourself in that warm, netherworldly place that you believe everyone who disagrees with you is going.

14 Likes

I could be wrong, and this theory is probably pretty out there, but I think the Pope is usually talking about the Bible. Which for some reason seems to catch them off-guard.

13 Likes

“Be fruitful and multiply” is an outdated concept. Humans have have multiplied past the point of usefulness for anyone and everyone, including themselves.

20 Likes

I think Sweetdee is pointing out that, while most Popes talk about the Bible, Pope Francis is actually talking about the lessons and words of Christ, not the gunk that others wrote about that got thrown in to legitimize the political power of the Church.

25 Likes

He listens to the Pope (or at least tries to)? Who knew? I was pretty certain he didn’t give a flying fuck what anyone said and just decided one day that “being Christian” was whatever HE wanted it to mean.

15 Likes

And certainly not many catholics follow that be fruitful and multiply. I am an ex-catholic and catholic women in the 60s were practicing birth control such as it was

9 Likes

I know, it probably didn’t look like it, but I was actually co-signing with snark.

2 Likes

Of course, since the Pope goes against almost everything Santorum stands for which makes Santorum look like the fool that he is

12 Likes

“When he speaks as the leader of the Catholic Church, I’ll certainly pay attention,” the former senator continued. "But when he speaks in interviews, he’s giving his own opinions, which I certainly will listen to, but from my perspective, that doesn’t reflect the idea that people shouldn’t be fruitful and multiply, and that people should be open to life as something that is a core value of the faith and of the Catholic Church.

First, the Pope is always the Pope. He doesn’t clock out at 5:00. He’s always speaking as the leader of the Catholic Church. I’m not Catholic and yet I’m aware of that.

Secondly, why is it that when someone says something relatively mild and generally unobjectionable, Republicans hear, some extreme, alternate version of what was actually said? The Pope didn’t say “people shouldn’t be fruitful and multiply”, he just expressed the idea that it’s not necessary to have enough kids for a football team.

42 Likes

“Sometimes very difficult to listen to the Pope”,

but never a dull moment listening to you, Ricky.

6 Likes

People like Santorum that think Jah exist only to justify them – are the absolute worst people that humanity has to offer.

It’s very simple Sanctimonious Santorum…being fruitful and multiplying, words from your bible, doesn’t mean what you think it means. What doesn’t he get? He’s been reading between the lines for so long, he’s forgotten what the actual words say.

I’m no bible expert, but it doesn’t take a genius to understand that the Pope probably knows a bit more about that book than some good ole’ sweater-vested Catholic ex-politician.

Funny how everyone like Santorum had to fall in line when the Pope was a lot more conservative in his dictums. But now…not so much.

12 Likes

what part of “infallible” don’t you understand?

6 Likes

Ah, the ramblings of a cafeteria catholic!

6 Likes

In all fairness, the pope did not make a lot of sense. If he weren’t celibate he might understand that only birth control can keep couples from breeding like rabbits. Of course the answer is for the pope to drop his opposition to birth control.

That said, as a secular outsider I’m happy with direction this pope is taking the church. Next up: follow up your statements on the environment by refusing communion to lawmakers who oppose action on climate change. If they could do it to John Kerry, they can do it to Rick jizz-blood-n-poop.

2 Likes

I wonder how long before conservative American Catholics begin leaving the Church? I can easily see it becoming a very public thing conservatives do to show opposition to the Pope. Just as when the president was first elected and reelected and they became seditious, traitors, I suspect they will eventually react similarly to a Pope they dislike.

It’s quite possible that’s exactly where he’s going with that. Baby steps.

7 Likes

You might say that underneath, Santorum’s faith is a mixture of different things.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available