Discussion: Sanders Accuses Clinton Of Embracing Obama Only For Black Votes

You beat me to this thought. I mean she did serve in his cabinet and fly all over the planet trying to get shit done…should she say he is a compromised, failed leader so she doesn’t seem to trying to get the votes of people of color. This is the problem I have with Bernie…he may be an idiot. Smarter for him to speak to the things he appreciates about Obama such as climate change efforts, etc. and neutralize the Hillary attempt to own a President who is very popular with lots of cohorts a Democrat needs to win. You can’t vet Hillary anymore than she has been vetted the past 30 years…on the other hand does he wonder why the Repelicans have not drawn out the red scare guns on him yet?? It is because they really want to run against him and are saving those bullets for after Hillary is finished.

30 Likes

They don’t. Comments like that don’t help him at all. It makes it easier for superdelegates to pledge to HRC too. Neither she nor Pres. Obama just became Democrats 2 weeks ago.

23 Likes

(You left out ‘ignorant.’)

This really saddens me. There is no need for it and I must say that I’m a bit surprised he’d go there. I have no doubt the man wishes to do right by America, no doubt. However, I’m also thinking he’s so not ready for a national campaign. The rest of the nation is a lot more diverse than Vermont (and that’s not a sleight at VT).

20 Likes

Me either. Let’s talk about what you both want to do as President, please…

4 Likes

I’m getting disappointed with Bernie and his campaign on a purely intellectual level too. Check out Krugman’s column today on Sanders’ highly improbable economic outcomes.

39 Likes

Let me help you, Bernie. Here’s how you’re supposed to make the argument you’re burying under identity politics and a thinly veiled freakout over your poor polling with the black community:

“Obama’s policies were good, great even, and we’ve made a lot of progress through him and our fight to pass and defend his proposals, but what Clinton proposes is that we SETTLE, that we rest on our laurels, that we merely focus on defending the status quo, that we’ve done enough for now and should put down our pitchforks and torches and go home, pause for a while, stop the fight. I’m not willing to do that. I’m not wiling to allow the GOP-supported culture of greed, avarice, plutocracy and corporate oligarchy bog us down and render us immobile. That Frankenstein Monster must burn, and feel the burn it shall if I’m President.”

See? Easy. Maybe a bit hokey, but it sticks with his theme of dreaming big, is a fair election-style argument and makes the point by focusing on general policy differences…without all the brain damage and slop he spilled all over it by engaging in this race-based identity politics bullshit.

17 Likes

What was telling to me in the townhall last night was Senator Sanders saying he was better on feminist issues then Hillalry because Gloria Steinberg made him an honrary woman. Gee, now Senator Sanders is saying he is a better woman than Hillary. Next thing Senator Sanders will be saying he would be the first woman POTUS.

15 Likes

Angelernie Merklanders?

5 Likes

Heh – you know I linked to this story late last night and was actually called evil by a Sanders supporter here for expressing the same anger at him about it that I see expressed here now. The thing with Sander’s supporters that I am finally seeing is so different from Clinton supporters is that Clinton supporters love Obama and agree with his policies. Its seems Sanders has made our primary a referendum on his administration. So the question is really – do we embrace Obama’s legacy, or kick him to the curb because he wasn’t radical or brutal or partisan enough to get “the job done” as Sanders sees it. Sanders wanted to primary Obama in 2012 - and so now he is doing it using Clinton as the proxy – and shaming her for embracing Obama and appealing to their shared African American supporters.

47 Likes

Clearly a little hardball is starting, and it’s tough to say who started it. When you start using the language of the right, though, that’s trouble. Bernie, please cut it out. This is not good.

15 Likes

You really don’t want to make accusations of Alzheimer’s when your preferred candidate is not much younger and certainly the right age for such problems.

3 Likes

Clearly a little hardball is starting, and it’s irrelevant to say who started it.

It’s gonna happen. It’s gonna come from both sides. But they need to keep in mind that it has to be tempered in a way that does not draw lines int he sand or drive a wedge between their supporters that is not surmountable. GOPers may not have to worry about that, and the decrease in turnout it risks, but Dems do.

7 Likes

Disgusting.

5 Likes

Indeed

4 Likes

Oh come on. Unclench it. You’ll sit more comfortably. I’m harsh on her all the time too.

3 Likes

Have you not seen the many endorsements of African American elected officials versus Bernie’s support from the marginalized Cornel West?

Do you know that the Clinton Foundation offices are in Harlem?

I guess your suggesting that those endorsements are just African Americans being stupid or something?

Pandering is exactly what Bernie has done:
1.) Free College - legislation offered only this election cycle. Oddly enough, in the societies that do have free college - only the top students gain admission, it’s not open enrollment. In other words, the cultural bias of the SAT’s will likely prevent some racial minorities from going to college if the U.S. adopted the European model.
2.) Universal Healthcare - not even legislation he’s offered, otherwise, maybe CBO could ‘score it’. Oddly enough, take a look at Bernie’s plan - it is a windfall of $9400/employee for corporations.
3.) Changed his position on marijuana - just last month. Pandering?
4.) Voted against ‘half-a-loaf’ Immigration proposal that would have put 12 million undocumented workers on a path to citizenship…not because he’s a purist, because he was protecting ‘real Americans’ in the AFL-CIO.

17 Likes

So now I am DISHONEST also. That’s right EVIL AND DISHONEST because i disagree with you.

5 Likes

We all know who those Berniacs on this site are and the fact that they despise Pres. Obama. They despise him because he, supposedly, didn’t get enough done.

Nevermind the reason why he couldn’t accomplish what he wanted. Nope. He could’ve transformed this country but no. He just couldn’t do it (because reasons) and Sanders will. Because Sanders is a revolutionary and that’s what “the People” want.

EDIT TO ADD: It couldn’t have been about race because - ahem - the future is colorblind…

10 Likes

Yep, I read last night both the links you posted (thanks), before going to bed. Bad enough to cause me a series of nightmare. That’s because slowly but surely we’ve made progress for the last seven and half years while our patience and endurance were seriously and constantly tested due to this or that setback. The progress we must defend and just cannot afford to lose. And a mere thought of the worst possibility in this election just makes me feel sick (literally).

7 Likes

At a time when he seems to be continually climbing in the polls…this is just a dumb thing to say.
It sounds like a mixture of mildly racist “Hillary is Pandering To Those People” and completely Trumpesque “Obama Didn’t Praise Me, Unfair. They’re Both Weak”

8 Likes