Discussion: San Juan Mayor To Trump Admin: 'Damnit, This Is Not A Good News Story'

You’d be wrong. Increased climate activity means an increase in lake-effect blizzards all across the Great Lakes region, including the majority of northern (ie: not the Ohio River basin) Ohio, as well as more storms backing themselves up on the Allegheny Mountains. And that’s without looking at the effects on local agriculture, Ohio’s ability to sustain its population without outside aid, the effects of large, sudden population grown on construction and what that would mean for local seismic activity (see: Taipei 101—it’s not just fracking that’s causing earthquakes!)… Is Ohio ‘safer’ in the short-term? Sure. In the long-term? No.

So no, that’s not planning for the worst, that’s putting your head in the sand.

I guess we could take Congress and Trump hostage and force them to engage in treaties and other agreements that reduced carbon emissions. Since the only way they’re going to do it is through extreme coercion or at the point of a gun. Of course those methods cause other problems.

That many? I’m surprised. I’d also like to see exactly what kind of hit the “family” farmers took. Because if you have a farm worth $20 mil free and clear and you can’t borrow $5m on it over 5 years…

I bet a thousand times as many family farms (and other family businesses) get broken up because one or more of the heirs insists on the main holder buying them out…

2 Likes

Ask Ryan or Yertle. When either one replies with a laughable excuse, that’s your answer.

1 Like

Reducing carbon emissions will not stop what we’re already seeing. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve still got a window to avoid the really worst case scenario… but the happy little climate we all grew up with? Even if we stop all emissions now, stop all clear-cutting of forests, stop all expansion of human defoliation… that’d take a long time to regain.

We need to figure out how to survive the world we’re already in.

3 Likes

I’m actually worried about my new best friend, Stephanie Ruhle, and her anger levels. Homegirl is PISSED about the response.

3 Likes

Oh, and that don’t have any topography that will make their infrastructure vulnerable to even a 500-year storm, and have no flood zones but aren’t deserts…

(I live in vermont, and Irene was a frightening wake-up call. Some of the smallest towns that got hit were helicopter or small-ATV or hiker-only for about a month after the storm, because when your road goes over a mountain or through a pass that’s just too bad.)

1 Like

It is really quite simple… when Trump sees pain and suffering of a bunch of white people he doesn’t hesitate to push the forces he controls to the rescue. But, when the victims are american citizens that look and speak like the people he is trying to kick out of the country he wants to see a P&L statement first.

3 Likes

They’ve been getting the short end of the stick from the US for years, and now Dotard Donald is giving them the shaft.

They can’t win for trying.

1 Like

How about something similar to the photo of Obama and the Arizona governor wagging her finger in his face?

That would be a phenomenal optic.

Hey, next Democratic administration - put her in charge of FEMA - she gets it.

3 Likes

When I was there, it was, unfortunately, tramp’s. Thought it still is, but, as you question that, I really can’t say. Anyway, it’s a beautiful place and you know the pussie grabber will be playing golf tomorrow…

Link to Rosie Perez segment
Rosie Perez to Pres. Trump: Puerto Ricans are Americans

It’s good.

msnbc.com is surprisingly good. You can do a keyword search or thru the ‘watch’ drop down menu under Nicole Wallace. It’s occasionally wonky (but free!), for example, a different video started playing and I had to click on the Perez segment again.

1 Like

Thanks for finding that, frantastic!

Nicolle Wallace is surprisingly good, too. Of course, once a “real conservative” is back in power, she, Steve Schmidt, David Frum and the rest of the 'pub herd will be off their self-righteous Outrage Train and back to marching in lockstep.

2 Likes

No, I meant the DHS secretary. I genuinely thought it was possible that Trump’s DHS secretary would be so insular and dumb that she would use the exact language of Barbara Bush’s infamous Leona Helmsley moment. That’s where we are now.

1 Like

Hey, Fu&&**, these are Americans!

Yes, they may be ‘brown’ but it is not about their debt OR their color, because these citizens of the US did not create this debt or their heritage, it is because they are US Citizens.

You are a fraud, a criminal and a blatant racist, and these are our bothers and sisters, and children, in horrible trouble.

FIX THIS AND SAVE THEM or GO - JUST GO.

1 Like

And the one that will still be deteriorating in 2050, just 30ish years from now, no matter what we do today.

1 Like

A nuance missed by the media, when the medical ship Comfort is brought up:

The Comfort is normally docked in Baltimore with a skeleton crew to perform maintenance, etc. When she is to be deployed, more crew arrives and they prepare to go to sea. When ready, she sails to Norfolk, VA.

Why Norfolk? That’s where the medical staff joins the ship, and they load all of the supplies that can’t be indefinitely stored on a mothballed ship. Only after this is completed does the ship set sail to the crisis zone.

By waiting until after the disaster before deciding to activate the Comfort they wasted about a week because of the time needed to get the ship ready.

3 Likes

A big lie (German: große Lüge) is a propaganda technique. The expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, about the use of a lie so “colossal” that no one would believe that someone “could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously.”

You nailed it:

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available