Discussion: San Juan Mayor To Trump Admin: 'Damnit, This Is Not A Good News Story'

3 Likes

She’s terrific.

40 Likes

Trump: She is just a 1. How can she possibly know what good news is!!!

6 Likes

Good for her. Keep fighting the good fight.

This whole fiasco is so incredibly disgusting. How on earth could ANYONE think this is okay??? That moron from DHS (well, both of them actually) should get disciplinary action for such a callous and clearly untrue comment.

42 Likes

The worst news story is the media itself.
They are shameless in promoting Trump’s lies, and failing to report adequately on conditions.
The gap between the level of coverage of the PR situation, and Houston or NOLA after Katrina, is disgraceful.
There seems to be some improvement, but how many lives could have been saved, had the media been focused on the PR story from the start?

25 Likes

We need to make PR a state so she can be elected to congress.

31 Likes

From the moment the hurricanes approached Puerto Rico, it was clear this was never going to be a happy story, even if the relief efforts were run by the reanimated corpses of Dwight Eisenhower, Florence Nightingale, and Albert Schweitzer. It’s offensive to paint it that way.

14 Likes

I’m not sure they would want to be part of this cluster.

7 Likes

Shorter Elaine Duke

23 Likes

I was watching Faux News last night about 7:30 (captive audience) when some blondy anchor was mediating a dispute between a Puerto Rican woman who was saying the same thing as Madame Mayor. On the other side was some privileged white boy defending the admin’s response. At one point - and this was from the closed captioning - it looked like he said, “white Americans don’t care”.

Like we needed to be told that.

15 Likes

And what about the virgin islands, i have heard little to none about their status.

15 Likes

No kidding. I have a friend who teaches at UVI. Because he’s on sabbatical this term, he was able to leave early, and is in Rhode Island now.
What I heard from him about conditions on St Thomas is awful.

10 Likes

I don’t know, when the reporters on the ground have their stories aired they aren’t defending the administration’s response. Most of the good news stories seem to be emanating from Washington, DC. The Governor and Mayor have been pretty clear about what needs to be done.

15 Likes

This is NOT Trump’s Katrina!!*

(*This is Trump’s Katrina + Trump’s Iraq War + Trump’s 9/11 + Trump’s S&L Crisis + Trump’s Iran-Contra + Trump’s Beirut + Trump’s Watergate + Trump’s Viet Nam + Trump’s Pearl Harbor + Trump’s Greedo Shooting First.)

9 Likes

I suggest that tramp play golf this weekend at his Rio Grande, PR championship course…see the problems up close and personal. It is a stunning resort and golf course and he’d hear from the locals. He’s going golfing somewhere, so why not Rio Grande? And, i’ll Bet the resort is running a special!

12 Likes

…and he don’t care.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea. Why not invite him down?

2 Likes

Trump relates more easily with the death and destruction sowed by the hurricane than he does with the victims.

Obviously because he’s such a whirlwind of chaos and destruction himself.

4 Likes

At the beginning of the week, the government officials on PR seemed to be playing the “flatter Tramp or this is going nowhere” game. I was stunned by their words until I realized that they, like everyone else in the world, know that if they criticized him, he’d dig in his heels and make matters even worse.

Now they’re finally speaking up to the reality on the ground and hopefully their constituents’ situations will dramatically improve and fast. Sadly, that will not matter to the still uncounted number of US citizens who have died due to this deplorable delay.

(edit to fix the abbrev. of Puerto Rico to PR)

21 Likes

Well, his wealth is basically in real estate. Hard to make much more of an excuse for the dotard.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available