Discussion: San Juan Mayor To Trump Admin: 'Damnit, This Is Not A Good News Story'

Additionally, the inheritance tax applies to a whopping 5600 families in the entire country.

4 Likes

Any pendejo jerkweed who think anything that has happened or is happening now in Puerto Rico is good should be awarded a chopper ride to the center of the island. They should be dropped off there wearing street clothes and equipt with a pocket knife. Let some of these Beltway Boobs LIVE there for the night, and see if that doesn’t change their pinheaded opinions.
This whole mess is being run by people who define “disaster” as not enough sugar for their morning coffee.
Puerto Rico has a population that places them between Connecticut and Iowa. If anything like this had happened in Des Moines or in Westport there would be more Military and militarized police there than there are residents.
I remember the Allied Food drops into Occupied Holland, done with the consent of the Germans., who knew the end of the war was coming.
Why is there not an “air bridge” to San Juan, the way there was into Berlin in 1949?
I hear there’s a 3-star general running things on the ground. They ought to give him the 82nd and the 101st Airborne to help set things right. If we had declared war on Puerto Rico or screamed the “T-word” invaded" and “occupied” San Juan, the city would be better off than it is now. How many Aircraft Carrier groups are headed for Puerto Rico? How many Hospital ships?
I remember what the US Navy did in Hati in 2010. (Operation Unified Response)
The fact that we’re not doing the very same things for our own people make a bitter joke out of “Defense Spending”
What the hell is it all for if we can’t protect our own people and help them when they need iit?
This is a MASSIVE FAILURE of more than one Branch of a “government” with it’s head up its backside.
I’ve seen the Japanese Self-Defense Forces respond after record Earthquakes, Flooding, and after Fukushima. The fact that America was so unready to perform as well or better should raise serious questions about many things. It’s time for the “Government” and the endless money shipped in crates to the DoD to start paying dividends.
Dividends. The one thing our worthless “Commander-in-Chief” might take an interest in., Because he’s too damnably worried about the NFL to think much about real people. So much for the “good News.”

2 Likes

If I’m standing amid the rubble and devastation of Puerto Rico I’m thinking to myself “I’m a U.S. citizen, I can move to Ohio if I want. Find some damned job, and not subject myself to the periodic agony and loss living on an island in the path of constant hurricane activity entails. I’m out of here.”

Other than the rare freak tornado I think living on higher ground away from a large river in Ohio probably holds the promise of extremely infrequent ruination at the hands of climate related events.

Would that qualify as planning for the worst?

I’d start by looking at campaign contributions around that time.

1 Like

Sure. They ought to be able to do a lot of things.

But, you know, it’s Congress.

2 Likes

Note that I didn’t intimate anywhere that it was likely.

I was mainly interested in whether or not they could. We aren’t always going to be dealing with the 115th Congress.

:wink:

2 Likes

“In his brief career as president and a candidate for president, Mr.
Trump has attacked virtually every major institution in American life:
Congress, the courts, Democrats, Republicans, the news media, the
Justice Department, Hollywood, the military, NATO, the intelligence
agencies, the cast of “Hamilton,” the cast of “Saturday Night Live,” the
pope and now professional sports”.

And the Girl Scouts of America got a restraining order against him.
(NYT)

Nobody has seen the bottom of DT’s inhumanity to man or woman yet.

3 Likes

You’d be wrong. Increased climate activity means an increase in lake-effect blizzards all across the Great Lakes region, including the majority of northern (ie: not the Ohio River basin) Ohio, as well as more storms backing themselves up on the Allegheny Mountains. And that’s without looking at the effects on local agriculture, Ohio’s ability to sustain its population without outside aid, the effects of large, sudden population grown on construction and what that would mean for local seismic activity (see: Taipei 101—it’s not just fracking that’s causing earthquakes!)… Is Ohio ‘safer’ in the short-term? Sure. In the long-term? No.

So no, that’s not planning for the worst, that’s putting your head in the sand.

I guess we could take Congress and Trump hostage and force them to engage in treaties and other agreements that reduced carbon emissions. Since the only way they’re going to do it is through extreme coercion or at the point of a gun. Of course those methods cause other problems.

That many? I’m surprised. I’d also like to see exactly what kind of hit the “family” farmers took. Because if you have a farm worth $20 mil free and clear and you can’t borrow $5m on it over 5 years…

I bet a thousand times as many family farms (and other family businesses) get broken up because one or more of the heirs insists on the main holder buying them out…

2 Likes

Ask Ryan or Yertle. When either one replies with a laughable excuse, that’s your answer.

1 Like

Reducing carbon emissions will not stop what we’re already seeing. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve still got a window to avoid the really worst case scenario… but the happy little climate we all grew up with? Even if we stop all emissions now, stop all clear-cutting of forests, stop all expansion of human defoliation… that’d take a long time to regain.

We need to figure out how to survive the world we’re already in.

3 Likes

I’m actually worried about my new best friend, Stephanie Ruhle, and her anger levels. Homegirl is PISSED about the response.

3 Likes

Oh, and that don’t have any topography that will make their infrastructure vulnerable to even a 500-year storm, and have no flood zones but aren’t deserts…

(I live in vermont, and Irene was a frightening wake-up call. Some of the smallest towns that got hit were helicopter or small-ATV or hiker-only for about a month after the storm, because when your road goes over a mountain or through a pass that’s just too bad.)

1 Like

It is really quite simple… when Trump sees pain and suffering of a bunch of white people he doesn’t hesitate to push the forces he controls to the rescue. But, when the victims are american citizens that look and speak like the people he is trying to kick out of the country he wants to see a P&L statement first.

3 Likes

They’ve been getting the short end of the stick from the US for years, and now Dotard Donald is giving them the shaft.

They can’t win for trying.

1 Like

How about something similar to the photo of Obama and the Arizona governor wagging her finger in his face?

That would be a phenomenal optic.

Hey, next Democratic administration - put her in charge of FEMA - she gets it.

3 Likes

When I was there, it was, unfortunately, tramp’s. Thought it still is, but, as you question that, I really can’t say. Anyway, it’s a beautiful place and you know the pussie grabber will be playing golf tomorrow…

Link to Rosie Perez segment
Rosie Perez to Pres. Trump: Puerto Ricans are Americans

It’s good.

msnbc.com is surprisingly good. You can do a keyword search or thru the ‘watch’ drop down menu under Nicole Wallace. It’s occasionally wonky (but free!), for example, a different video started playing and I had to click on the Perez segment again.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available