Discussion: Russian News Agency RT Says British Bank Suddenly Blocked Its Accounts

1 Like

Suddenly free speech is important to Russians? lol, good one.

26 Likes

That was quick. Just a couple of days ago I was reading about the CIA prepping a response to Russia monkey wrenching our election.

13 Likes

It is, of course, impossible that RT might have violated any bank or regulatory requirements on structuring of transactions, maintaining up-to-date accountholder information, blah blah blah. Or had an account at a branch that might not be able to service them post-brexit…

6 Likes

In a word, good.

3 Likes

"They’ve closed our accounts in Britain. All our accounts. ‘The decision is not subject to review.’ Praise be to freedom of speech!”

What’s the definition of irony again?

15 Likes

A letter posted online by the channel appears to show that the freeze is not in effect yet. It warns that banking facilities will be “cancelled and closed” on 12 December.

They are good, they just need to find another bank…

4 Likes

And suddenly Assange doesn’t have Internet access because of a “state actor.”

11 Likes

The intelligence apparatus apparently did do something to Assange’s net service (according to Wikileaks), but chances are this action is due to bankers realizing that they have a choice.

4 Likes

did Wikileaks check on the idea that the embassy didn’t pay its internet bill?

3 Likes

I don’t think blocking Assange’s Internet access will be the only thing they do in response. I’m anxiously awaiting another shoe to drop.

6 Likes

What would be completely and totally awesome would be if suddenly all the Russian money NOT invested in Trump, and or all the funds Trump DOES NOT have invested in Russia suddenly became … unavailable.

10 Likes

Though it won’t likely happen (for obvious reasons), what you just typed was actually done in a Blacklist episode.

Cry me a river of tears.

2 Likes

Putin wants to intervene in affairs of other countries but doesn’t like it when other countries do the same to him.

7 Likes

For obvious reasons, the next moves will (or should) be subtle. While both sides are clearly pissed off, neither are reaching for any digital ‘accelerant’.

at least not yet.

2 Likes

Or that the embassy itself was tired of his bullshit?

3 Likes

Glad to see a bank doing the right thing.

Nitpicky, I guess, but is it just me, or does this statement seem weird?

"We have recently undertaken a review of your banking arrangements with
us and reached the conclusion that we will no longer provide these
facilities,” NatWest said in a letter to the network.

They didn’t reach that conclusion, they made that decision, amirite?

2 Likes

Can we close the account of Rush Limbaugh network? Now that would really be worth the trouble.

1 Like

yup

They won’t say it out loud (and maybe its a Brexit matter/poor BoJo), but it wouldn’t surprise me, if this decision was based off of taste as opposed to a foreign ministry decision.

However the question is: Will the Russian government do something punitive?

2 Likes