Discussion: Rick Perry's Border Ad Foreshadows Brutal GOP Primary In 2016

Discussion for article #226371

Okay so Republicans should love a bill that would make it a Federal felony to hire undocumented workers and then should love a bill that will establish a nationwide identification system so that employers would know whether the person they are hiring is a citizen or a legal resident but they don’t.

4 Likes

Republican Prez candidate strategy is perfectly understandable. They’re appealing to white people. Since one white person equals 7 Latinos or Hispanics it all makes sense.

2 Likes

Romney came within 1% of winning as much of the white vote as Nixon and Reagan yet he lost while both the former won in landslide. Has Breitbart/FOX/Drudge really manipulated the GOP that much? Do they really think just slapping a Latino on to the ticket will eliminate their policy and rhetoric problem.

I know those are rhetorical questions, because as evident by their statements they really do. If you follow the recent trends Latinos will rise by another 1% of the electorate, Asians by 0.5%, and if Hillary is the nominee the black vote* should stay about the same. Where does the GOP think they will get extra vote

• BY the way, I’m not denying the power of Obama but black voting rates in Presidential elections years has been trending up for 20 years. A combination of the drop on crime lowering the number of exfellons, better target GOTV efforts, but more importantly getting a person to vote the 1st time and they tend to keep voting. That is why the expected drop in black voting in 2012 from 2008 made little sense. People who vote tend to keep voting (at least in Presidential elections).
5 Likes

Some reporter should find a Texas employer who’s illegally hiring these workers Rick Perry keeps talking about. The question to the employer should be where’s all the big savings from all that cheap labor? The question to Rick Perry should be what penalty he thinks the American businessman should pay?

A worthy follow up would be whether Rick Perry feels that big American businesses should be accountable for the illegal hiring practices of their American small-business contractors and subcontractors.

3 Likes

Vicious Brutes always eat their own.
They just can’t help it. When your constituency consists of Racists, Misogynists, Ammo-sexuals, and the American Taliban, what did you expect the ads to look like? Unicorns and Flowers?

3 Likes

Texas leads the nation in job creation because they’re low-wage jobs, often done by illegal immigrants, as well as by legal ones. Texas is gaining population because housing is cheap, largely built by illegal immigrants, as well as by legal ones. Texas’s wages are among the lowest in the country, largely because employers can hire for less due to the competition from illegal immigrants, as well as by legal ones.

Perry is the governor of where??

5 Likes

This is almost as tone deaf as Hillary staking out her position as Super Hawk Neocon Wonder Woman.

Almost.

1 Like

The dead Governor walking has been over for quite a while now, big eye-wear frames and TV ads not withstanding.
I sincerely hope many TX billionaires and other 1%ers waste tons of cash on the best thing, no matter poor reading skills and serious comprehension issues, to stumble out of Central Casting since Ronnie.

2 Likes

So who is going to pick our crops…pick our apples…pick our peaches…pick our broccoli…pick our tomatoes…pick our oranges ? Who is going to wash our dishes at the restaurant? Who is going to do the hard back braking work that Americans won’t do and are incapable of doing? Why are the Republican nitwit politicians leading the charge against little Latino children who are fleeing violent drug zones created by American addiction to drugs and our government’s ineffectiver Drug War? Next thing the Republican Tea Party will demand is that all women cover themselves with a burqa.

1 Like

Is this ad being aired in Texas? I’d be interested in hearing what effect it will have on Wendy Davis’s campaign. If I were her, I’d be thrilled.

2 Likes

This is why passing immigration reform was never really going to help the R party with Hispanics. Even if it passed through the House and was signed into law, the debate on the right would be a contest over who can hate the law the most. And then every potential presidential candidate would feel the need to go on FOX to tell everyone how deeply they hate the new law. During the debates moderators would certainly ask what they’d do differently, and it would be a race to see who could get further to the right on the issue. Like nearly every issue, Republican candidates can only win the primary by taking positions that destroy their chances in the general.

1 Like

Why is Perry committing an unforced error? He lives in Texas. He, more than any other potential Republican candidate, should know the danger Republicans create for themselves when they pander to their clueless old white base on this issue.

I guess Perry is just as stupid as he sounds.

2 Likes

Pretty difficult situation for ® candidates trying to win primaries. How do you cater to racists, bible thumpers, idiots and conspiracy theorists enough to win your base, while dancing through enough egg shells to not look like a complete buffoon or sociopath to have a chance in the general? I feel so sorry for their predicament.

Republicans can successfully pivot to the “center” (these days meaning moderately right-wing) without losing their base, who perfectly understand it’s a temporary swing to woo independents. However, independents are becoming more and more aware of this ploy and don’t buy the right-wing nut cases’ story as easily. It’s going to be a hard sell in the general after they’ve spent the primary season yelling about locking up and deporting all the brown people.

The real problem for Republicans is the hispanic vote is reaching critical mass. You can’t write hispanics off and expect to win any of the swing states.

3 Likes

Yep. Independent Latinos and Latinas are not going to buy their Etch-a-Sketch routine by any stretch of the imagination. They are screwing themselves and I, for one, am quite happy with that.

1 Like

Hmm, I thought Obama was doing a lot to secure the border. These activists seem to think so:

I looked at the electoral map and I can’t understand how they get more than about 150 electoral votes. Just looking again, I see that Romney got 206.

I can’t imagine them matching even that any time soon.

2 Likes

Charles Schwab with HQ in San Francisco is sending approximately 1200 jobs to El Paso and Austin with help of a some baksheesh, no, investment fund enterprise money. Ricky’s going to point this out as progress. The weather in Texas is the least of the things San Francisco-based employees are going to hate about Texas.

1 Like