Discussion: Republicans Sink Deeper Into Their Obamacare Repeal Quagmire

8 Likes

leaving it completely up to states and the free market

Since that worked so well before Obamacare …

32 Likes

with a bitter taste in their mouths

That’s the taste of Trump.

26 Likes

Do we know who wrote the bill? I recall several weeks ago one of the members of the group tasked with writing the bill claimed not to have seen the text.

6 Likes

Monty Python: oracles of the future.

29 Likes

Great work @aliceoll ! Love the humor in this.

13 Likes

Lots!! I’m glad you asked. Authorship clarifies intent. The process was corrupt, even by GOP standards.

Didn’t notice the sock fringe. Can someone flag? Not working on my phone.

5 Likes

Done.

5 Likes

I must be getting as good as y’all because I spotted it immediately too.

3 Likes

I agree, it does matter who wrote it and how it was written. In pharma manufacturing it is said, “The product is the process”. They were never serious and it showed.

6 Likes

The photo of Priebus and the trash cans is a perfect shot. Fitting.

32 Likes

Are there four or more moderate Republicans willing to calculate their chances of reelection are better if they caucus with the Dems on health care instead of sticking with the GOP’s razed earth strategy? Is a realignment in the Senate possible?

A boy can dream, can’t he?

2 Likes

I read that as a reference to McConnell. Whether or not he composed the text, his fingerprints are all over it.

7 Likes

Specifically, I want to know which outside groups had control of the pen.

2 Likes

They don’t need to caucus with the Dems, A bill written in a committee made up of members of both parties, with input from actual experts, the way bills are supposed to be written would be a giant step forward.

16 Likes

Personally, I would suspect the Club for Growth and its affiliates (i.e., the Kochs). The major clue is the “market-driven” rhetoric. CfG has marked this as a key vote and it will be included on its 2017 scorecard. From the CfG’s web site:

This proposal would be the first step in repealing the disastrous Obamacare program. It would establish reconciliation instructions for committees to report language that would effectively gut the big-government healthcare law. We have the full expectation that this language will be considered in the first quarter of the year, and that it will abolish ALL of Obamacare’s taxes. We also expect that a replacement plan will be considered within two years, contrary to the longer term plans that have been discussed in the media.
Congress still has a lot of work to do in order to end Obamacare and replace it with a market-driven, pro-growth healthcare insurance plan, but passing this resolution is the necessary first step. We strongly urge passage.
http://www.clubforgrowth.org/key-votes/key-vote-alert-yes-on-obamacare-repeal-resolution/

10 Likes

And probably NO healthcare representatives.

1 Like

Presumably, there were no dumpsters for him to hide behind.

8 Likes

Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL) grumbled Tuesday. “Everybody’s frustrated. A lot of us are, because we’ve got a few people runnin’ on us.”

Didn’t even make it through the whole article before this quote from the fine Southern Senator caught my ear. “Runnin’ on us”, isn’t that one of those fine Old Southern slave expressions? Or is it from Alabama’s prison chain gang industry?

14 Likes

“What has to happen is the Republicans have to admit that some of the things in the ACA we actually liked, and the Democrats have to admit that some of the things that they voted for in the ACA are broken and need to be fixed.”

Gosh, that almost sounds like responsible adult leadership and governance or something. If only I believed Murkowski would put her vote where her mouth is when push came to shove.

12 Likes