Discussion: Report: Trump Officials Quashed Study Showing Refugees' Net Benefit To US

2 Likes

“Some people call me the Space CowPie,
Some call me the Canker of Love”

6 Likes

Oh sure, let’s do a “study” that gives us the predetermined results that we want. Just so Republican. Works for tax reform, healthcare, climate change, etc.

Half the country is scientifically illiterate and willfully so.

19 Likes

There must be a pretty big lump under that rug from all the things they have swept under it.

13 Likes

2 Likes

“Trump administration officials nixed a study that found refugees had brought in more government revenue overall than they had cost…”

So Trump is running government like a business.

A failed business.

Like all his others.

Because – unlike even the dumbest of freshman business majors – he hasn’t got the slightest grasp of ROI.

16 Likes

Facts, facts? We don’t need no stinking’ facts!

2 Likes

What other data from other agencies, CDC, NOAA, DOJ, EPA, DOE, DofE, etc., is being “quashed?”

14 Likes

Well, this is how they think science works. Come up with an idea (a theory) and prove it with cherry-picked data so we can continue to fund more research and get rich. (Because all scientists are overpaid and only care about making more money - or is that bankers. I get confused.)

8 Likes

Worse. Here they took a study and edited it to show what they wanted it to show.

5 Likes

Is that a trick question?

Answer: All of it, unless it is supported by the Bible or Breitbart…

4 Likes

I wonder how a study of the military would turn out using the same methodology? We spend hundreds of billions on the military. I would say each soldier/sailor/marine/airman would probably cost a fortune, but I know from experience they don’t actually see much of that money.

6 Likes

DO NOT under any circumstances allow people to know the truth!!! Fear and Loathing. THAT’S the ticket.

6 Likes

All of it, from every agency. Rational approaches to problems run contrary to everything Trump wants to do. Nearly every Cabinet head was named specifically because they were uniquely suited to destroy that department, with long simmering animus toward the agency’s purpose and goals. Carson hates poor people, Pruitt hates the environment, DeVos hates public education, Tillerson hates diplomacy, Sessions hates civil rights, Dr. Tom Price hates sick people and their access to health care. And Rick Perry is so goddamned stupid he thought the Secretary of Energy roamed the world selling U.S. oil and natural gas to other nations.

8 Likes

We already know that the EPA is hiding information about the Superfund sites flooded during Harvey.

8 Likes

Can’t let people know that nonwhites are a benefit to this country. It defeats their narrative

4 Likes

A great deal of the daily business that agencies do now has to go up the ladder to be approved by HQ. It’s making what was already a less than efficient process one this is completely inefficient. I though businessmen were all about efficiencies. Guess this just further shows how bad at business the Orange Menace is.

2 Likes

Miller, who the Times reported wanted to consider costs and not revenues

Miller is simply following the GOP gospel on deficit reduction - deride the cost of government while ignoring the revenue side of the equation. As @irasdad said, they don’t understand the basic principles that are clear to even the dumbest of freshman business majors.

7 Likes

It occurs to me that his personal investment is nearly always zero, so he may have difficulty with the concept.

7 Likes

Um, no, by and large they’re not. For all the bitching people do about the inefficient, cumbersome, wasteful government the private business they work for is likely just as bad. The suggestion box hanging on the wall is for show. And management wipes their ass with dollar bills, just like in the DoD.

5 Likes