Discussion: Report: Trump Has Pardoned Alice Johnson After Kardashian Lobbying

1 Like

Is there anything reality-teevee stars can’t do?

7 Likes

Welcome to Celebrity Pardons, the newest sur-reality show coming from the Swamp…

29 Likes

Apparently this is how t-rumpus is going to get major celebrities to come visit him now, by dangling pardons.

9 Likes

Broken clock

8 Likes

I… er… um… okay…

3 Likes

How fucking pathetic! Trump, on a daily basis, lowers the bar for the Presidency. Although I am reasonably certain that he will not be re-elected in 2020, I shudder at the destruction that will have occurred to the institution of the Presidency (and the government as a whole) by then. God help us.

6 Likes

If it’s true, Kim Kardashian just justified her existence.

10 Likes

I lack the outrage-bandwidth for regular old garden-variety corruption.

I guess it’s good to have powerful friends.

3 Likes

On the next episode of Keeping Up With The Kompromat…

”You’re pardoned!”

7 Likes

Trump may be waking up to the fact that his pardoning power is one of the easiest things he can do. He’s discovered that the review process can be bypassed, and no one can really stop him from doing it whenever the mood strikes him. No need to deal with Congress, courts, regulations, etc. It’s one of the few ways he can actually feel powerful.

24 Likes

I don’t particularly think pardoning people serving life sentences for non-violent offenses is a bad thing. It’s how selective Trump is going to be. This is about him. It’s always about him. People know and follow the Kardashians. God knows why, but they do.

So he can get more attention by doing this.

16 Likes

" It’s one of the few ways he can actually feel powerful."

Apart from Twitter, next he will combine the two …

6 Likes

A justified pardon by a disgusting man.

10 Likes

This is a great example of how to use unearned privilege for Good. Now, hopefully, she’ll go on to use it for actual systemic judicial/prison reform! Clearly she does have influence over the Decider in Chief, so this might actually be an effective way to go about it.

3 Likes

Maybe she can move onto that 16 year old who is getting an excessive 5 year sentence for stealing some sneakers?

4 Likes

“President Donald Trump has pardoned Alice Johnson…”

It’s a good start.

Now beg forgiveness from the Central Park Five.

Also resign, confess your treason, rat out the rest of the GOP mob, and turn yourself in to the authorities.

Then maybe – maybe – we can say justice has been served.

18 Likes

Let’s see, she gets this the pardon for this one, Rocky got one for Jack Johnson, Ted Cruz got D’Souza, who’s next? Scott Baio? Somebody better get working the phones…

2 Likes

He did NOT pardon her. He commuted her sentence. She is still a felon. https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/06/politics/alice-marie-johnson-commuted-sentence/index.html?adkey=bn

12 Likes

Two minds. She was part of a multimillion dollar drug ring. Saying she’s a grandmother has positive associations that may or may not be valid here. We usually don’t take pity on mobsters because they’re grandfathers. OTOH life is a harsh sentence for anything non-violent, and the appalling harshness in drug sentencing for disadvantaged people generally is a widespread injustice. So no dog in that fight. What I will say is there are far worse miscarriages out there that haven’t been taken up by a D-list celebrity. Putting the pardon power in the hands of a featherhead criminal may have been as bad an idea as putting any other power in his hands.

21 Likes