Discussion: Report: Rep. Michael Grimm Will Plead Guilty To Tax Evasion

Discussion for article #231431

Are felons allowed to remain in Congress?

10 Likes

The House should censure him and ask that he resign.

But he’s a right-wing Republican, so that won’t happen.

19 Likes

Yes, and not paying taxes is pretty much the reason behind the GOP movement IMO.

12 Likes

Uh, oh…similar crime as Eric Garner! OBEY THE LAW. DON’T RESIST ARREST.

7 Likes

That’s why so many of the far-right faithful refer to taxation as “legalized theft by the government.”

I prefer Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes opinion of taxes:

“I like taxes; for with them, I purchase civilization.”

9 Likes

Hopefully not ones who have had a lawsuit of life endangerment brought against them. One can only hope.

2 Likes

May be similar to Eric, but his collar is the wrong color blue. Because he’s still breathing.

Not right wing enough. No one is safe.

1 Like

Wouldn’t you think his constituents would run him out? After all, they must be thinking, “Wait a minute, we have to pay our taxes - how come we are paying his salary but he doesn’t have to pay his share???”

4 Likes

You would think so. But then he would blurt out ‘Obama’ and his T’bagger constituents are easily distracted to the point of voting for him again.

3 Likes

He wasn’t selling loose cigarettes tax free was he? The penalty in NY for that is nasty.

9 Likes

Not paying taxes is a repug core value. I expect the repug House will welcome him with open arms.

2 Likes

Nope. They just reelected him, knowing that this was hanging over his head.

I know. I thought maybe they re-elected him because they truly believed in the truthfulness of his not-guilty plea. (snark). Since he is now pleading guilty . . . . .

20 counts pleaded down to one, probably no jail time.
Sweetheart deal, especially considering the last Staten Island tax evader was sentenced to death by strangulation on the spot.

4 Likes

Does this mean he’s going to throw himself off a balcony like he threatened to do to that reporter who asked him about this scandal?

6 Likes

The clown who ran against him was truly awful–about the dumbest, slimiest character the local Dem machine could have extruded.

Can answer my own question on this one:  For the GOTP, it’s a feature, not a bug. :-S

1 Like

If you’re going to be targeted by a Democratic administration, it helps not to have committed the crimes you are charged with.