Discussion: Report: NYPD Tried To Delete Wikipedia Pages On Eric Garner, Other Killings

Discussion for article #234273

Honestly, DOJ should give the NYPD the Ferguson treatment. When I said the shit was ubiquitous, I meant it, and focusing next on NYPD would help us tell the racist GOP/Teatrolls to shut their fat white-fright mouths about the south and conservatives being persecuted.

9 Likes

I wonder if any of the New York newpapers/media will cover any of this? I’m talking to you New York Times, New York Post, Bloomberg News, Wall Street Times.

1 Like

“Not here to build an encyclopedia”.

How much more Orwellian are these jack-booted thugs going to get before the citizens stand up and realize they need to be reigned in? Seriously, trying to rewrite or delete history?

2 Likes

Because the NYPD is Cosa Nostra with badges.

2 Likes

Really??? And people are surprised by this???

2 Likes

"Garner raised both his arms in the air” was changed to “Garner flailed his arms about as he spoke.” “[P]ush Garner’s face into the sidewalk” was changed to “push Garner’s head down into the sidewalk.” … The sentence, “Garner, who was considerably larger than any of the officers, continued to struggle with them,” was added to the description of the incident.

Too subtle. Next time try to work in some demon references.

1 Like

So thin-skinned, they couldn’t survive a water balloon hit when the body armor is off.

1 Like

Can’t have a Miniluv without a Minitrue to go with it.

Interesting. ’ “Garner, who was considerably larger than any of the officers, continued to struggle with them,” was added to the description of the incident." I’ve thought several times that really big blacks scare the shit out of cops, which may cause them to overreact.

Trotskyied; To be erased from history. To become a un-event or a un-person.

1 Like

Sounds like what the “The Ministry of Truth” would be like if it were run by the gang from “Car 54 Where Are You?”

1 Like

Story gaining traction on tech sites:

1 Like

If the truth was changed to a lie, then whoever made the changes needs to be charged under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

Wikipedia is an encyclopedia and thus any additions or changes that do not reflect reality are an act of sabotage.

1 Like

Maybe IP addresses that are known to be repeat, um, “scrubbers” should have a setting where any submissions need to be run by the paid staff to check first.

2 Likes

The paid staff is miniscule and has other things to do. But the admins are dedicated and have seen this kind of thing a million times, albeit not usually so high profile. “Unsigned” IP only edits are highly suspect anyway. If you are out to revise history, Wikipedia sees you coming. This will be watched very closely.

The heading on this discussion page says they tried to “delete” pages, not “scrub” them. Actually deleting pages without going through the process is considered blatant vandalism and is quickly reverted on Wikipedia.

2 Likes

The ironic thing, which the NYPD and many others doing the same thing have still not learned, is that creating an account is actually more anonymous because you can simply sign up with a burner email address from yahoo or hotmail, which is untraceable without a court order involving some major criminality. Unsigned edits, on the other hand, show your IP address to everyone, which in turn shows exactly where you are.

My experience has been that 95% of IP-address edits are either 1) outright vandalism, or 2) completely worthless. I really don’t understand why they don’t get rid of them (yes, I’ve heard Wales’ rationale, and it doesn’t make sense).

1 Like

The Ministry of Truth is alive and well in the 21st century. It just took three decades longer than Orwell predicted.

1 Like

The DOJ should also review the actions of Staten Island District Attorney Dan Donovan. He never should have been in charge of “prosecuting” the officer who killed Eric Garner. Donovan is closely linked to the police unions. He received political endorsements from them, and the union conducted a Get Out The Vote campaign on Donovan’s behalf. He owed favors to the union, and repaid them by rigging the grand jury in the Garner case. Now the unions are lining up behind Donovan’s run for Congress. Blatant corruption. http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/law_enforcement_unions_donovan.html

1 Like