Discussion: Report: Former Dem Sen. Evan Bayh To Jump Into Indiana Senate Race

No, the bank doesn’t have a shady rep. They screw individuals right out in the open. :wink: If you got what you thought you should, it’s all good. They can’t change your terms or anything. I’ve dealt with them specifically on behalf of clients with mortgages and they really do suck. Not to mention the people who bought my last house from me (two doctors, mind you). 5/3 screwed around for two weeks on the closing date. Notably, they didn’t tell us it would be delayed the first time by two days until after the husband (a brain surgeon) had traveled in from their home state and we were all enroute to the closing. They are seriously customer service clueless.

1 Like

I remember in 08 he was Hillary’s surogate at many events here in Iowa. If she wins we could see a more “on board” senator then we saw after the '08 election.

4 Likes

TPM:

Former Sen. Evan Bayh (D-IN) will announce a bid for Senate on Monday and replace the current Democratic nominee in the race, Baron Hill, CNN reported Monday morning, citing an unnamed source. .

… “While our campaign had been making great progress and building momentum all over Indiana, it is simply not enough to fight back against the slew of out-of-state, special interest and dark money that is certain to come our way between now and November,” Hill said in a statement… …

… Democrats have been heavily recruiting Bayh to run for the seat, in part because he had $10 million in a campaign account when he retired, according to CNN.

Seems to me like the better option would have been for Bayh to stay retired from the Senate and transfer his campaign fund to Hill - if that’s possible under current campaign finance rules.

Do you live in Indiana? If not, who cares.

While far from perfect Evan Bayh is about as good as we can expect to come out of Indiana. And we know what they’re capable of electing. On balance this is sort of good news.

4 Likes

I’d rather he sleep at his desk than spend most of his time on teevee bad-mouthing his party, as he did before. (Only Lieberman was worse on that score, and he became an independent.) His actual record wasn’t quite the very worst, but I’m hard-pressed to think of a shallower, oilier, more corporatist, more self-serving Democrat.

That said, I’m (breathes deeply) 100% behind him over his GOP opposition, or pretty much anyone else in today’s Republican party; we need to control the Senate for all the obvious reasons, and the cushion of the Indiana seat (if he can win it) will be helpful in 2018, when the map won’t be favorable to us. Having him around again just means I’ll have to learn to better control my gag reflex.

1 Like

Bayh? Really?

Past is prolog. Doesn’t Indiana have any good strong dems to run in the senate race? Why must we always reach back to those that lost?

Better than a gop/bag!

Can’t have an opinion unless you live in that state involved?

Good to know.

He didn’t lose the election. He opted not to run after he won the nomination, as I recall.

Well, no, I don’t live in Indiana. Don’t know how you figured that one out, but you got me there, pal…

…However…I do live in the United States, and even as someone who would very much like to see a Democratic majority in the Senate next year, I believe we need someone like Evan Bayh kneecapping a progressive agenda like a fish needs a bicycle. Because we’ve seen this movie before. If you’re a Republican and you want some “bi-partisan” cover, Bayh’s your man…er, dog. As in Blue Dog. Tax cut for the 1%? He’s on it. Restrictive abortion funding amendment? Voted for it. The kind of Democrat Roger Ailes wants on Fox News? That’s Bayh. And last I recall, he left the Senate because he didn’t like it there anymore, and did so in such a way to maximally screw Democrats.

So, to sum up…I don’t really care that you don’t care. Because lots of other people, in and out of Indiana, do.

1 Like

My bad, I thought he lost in the 2010 tea bagger nonsense.

However, I did find this tidbit.

“Evan Bayh to exit Senate he no longer loves…”

Do we really want to return to the Blue Dog nonsense???

From 2009:

This morning on MSNBC’s Morning Joe, Sen. Evan Bayh (D-IN) discussed the creation of a new group of “moderate” Democratic senators whose goal is to “restrain the influence of party liberals.” MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell explained the implications of Bayh’s new group, saying “this is the group that will control the outcome politically on what can pass on the Senate floor.”
Bayh explained that his office would be issuing a press release detailing the group and its 15 inaugural members.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2009/03/18/36891/bayhs-four-secret-sens/

Second the credit union. I had a bank account for six months when I started working, then switched to a credit union when I wanted to take out a small ($500) car loan. The bank refused me, but the credit union let me take it out on my signature and had lower interest rates. I’ve never had any other account since. They’ve held my mortgages, my car loans, and my education loans. I’ve never paid for checking and they know me by name.

1 Like

Keep always in mind that in 2018 there is a strong possibility that the Democrats will lose up to five Senate seats, so they need to really, really pile on this time to build up a buffer. There were nine flippable seats (by which I mean the Democratic candidate is ahead or no more than 5% behind today); now there are ten. The Dems really need at least nine so as to have a bombproof majority for 2018 and on.

2 Likes

Here is how they stood as of yesterday (haven’t done today’s update yet). The numbers with decimal points are from Pollster, probably the best source; numbers without decimal points are from unpolled or underpolled states thus not on Pollster. All links are to the Democrat’s “ActBlue” fundraising page. The list is in order of current polling favorability (excepting, of course, Bayh).

sufficient to withstand 2018  ↑

dark-horse "extra" possibles  ↓
  • Evan Bayh, Indiana
    no polls yet

EDIT ADD: The five Blue seats at high risk in 2018 are in Indiana (the other Indiana seat), Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, and West Virginia.

In my opinion, a Senate race currently no worse than a 5% spread is definitely in play, because the Blue wave for 2016 has hardly begun to ramp up yet. Let’s wait till middle or late August to really see what’s what.

3 Likes

I read a piece earlier today that basically opined that Pence wanted to be VP because it gives him the loyalty card to play in 2020…basically, “Hillary is horrible, but where were YOU when we needed to run against her?”

I am not entirely sure I buy that as valid reasoning…hitching your wagon to the disaster that is the Trump campaign seems to me to have many more negatives to a political career, than anything the loyalty argument can buy.

But…avoiding having to run a losing campaign for re-election? That sweetens the pot quite a bit.

However, trying to be Trump’s VP candidate and keeping distance from what he says…well, I am not sure Pence can do those type of dance moves. I am not sure Fed Astaire could do those type of dance moves.

1 Like

Mike Pence proved he can’t even slow-dance–
the way he mangled the Religious Freedom Restoration Act legislation-- and aftermath.

A mindless ®obot.

jw1

1 Like

The conservative Rubin agrees Bayh would be electable.

People like this are why the Democrats keep losing seats in Congress and at the state level. Why vote for a fake Republican like this, when you can choose the real thing?

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3984661/mister-ed-o.gif

Ohhhhh Wiiiiiiilbuuuuuur-- iiiiiiit’s Iiiiiiiiindiaaaaaaaaana!

jw1

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available