Discussion: Report: Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Fires City Police Supt. Amid Protests

Discussion for article #243304

Firing a subordinate over some shit YOU did. Way to go, Rahm.

7 Likes

The driver of the bus will be provided counseling.

Squishy goes squish…

Not just some subordinate, McCarthy needed to go. It’s not enough, however, they need to clean house.

12 Likes

What an awful little cretin. Hiring this prick is a stain on Obama’s record.

5 Likes

And now, Rahm, would you please fire yourself? Thank you…

6 Likes

I’m sorry to say Emanuel is just trying to salvage his own political ass.

8 Likes

Really? He was “shellshocked?”

4 Likes

Well, it has been a whole year and all… Everyone thought they were safe.

6 Likes

To paraphrase Richard Nixon from 1977:
‘If the Police do it, that means it’s not illegal.’

1 Like

Am I the only one that finds Rahm Emanuel’s temperament to be the same as Chris Christie’s?

3 Likes

McCarthy did his job, keeping the investigation stonewalled until after last November’s election. Some thanks from Rahm.

4 Likes

And that isn’t about to happen. This was a sacrificial lamb, and nothing more. They will promote from within and the status quo will remain unchanged.

The problems in Chicago also go well beyond just the PD. Judges, prosecutors…the entire system is rigged to protect cops

6 Likes

As odious as I find Rahm, a Republican mayor or Governor would have never taken such action. Think about this next time people tell you both parties are the same. Democrats, at least to some degree, cannot ignore public opinion forever. Republicans can get away with being overtly hated as long as 4 or 5 mega-donors think they are useful.

4 Likes

I disagree completely. Whatever one wants to say about his character, Rahm busted heads and got shit done. I thought he was an excellent COS to the president.

And he was right to fire the superintendent. There was a year long investigation into something that should’ve taken no more than a couple of weeks at most. My understanding is that time and again the mayor’s office was assured there was no serious wrongdoing on the officer’s part. If that is true, then the sup. needed to go.

4 Likes

It’s pretty clear that if this had surfaced during this year’s reelection campaign Rahm would have lost, and deservedly so. To cover up this murder to save your own political ass is beyond reprehensible. I’m sorry I voted for Rahm, and he needs to resign.

2 Likes

Hey, Rahm, have you tried charter police stations???

2 Likes

Another Chicago top cop fired over the CPD’s use of excessive and/or racist force.

Anyone who thinks that’ll solve things has been misled.

Emanuel is a bully. He was a bully as a kid, he was a bully as COS, and he’s a bully now. And the pattern of CPD brutality has been reported extensively and discussed in city council meetings. The mayor is well aware of the systemic problem if not the case-by-case details.

4 Likes

It is a start but you have a long, long way to go.