Discussion: Rep. Tom Garrett Is Our Duke Of The Week

Scottsville, Virginia, not Scottsdale

2 Likes

Well done, Tom. The competition is always stiff, but you came out a wiener! :laughing:

4 Likes

This behavior should put Garrett in the running for an award from the GOP for “Best Misuse of Elective Office.”

The Republicans admire this sort of thing, and lots of other Gopers will emulate it.

1 Like

You can see how this kind of thing happens, especially with people who have egos of the kind required to run for congress these days. You ask staff to do you a favor, or you have an important appearance and need a clean tie THIS INSTANT, or whatever, and then it gets to be a habit, and it expands…

But it’s also wrong and potentially a federal crime. Which is why congressional leadership should be warning incoming legislators not to go down that road, and should be monitoring to make sure they don’t.

Oh, right, GOP.

4 Likes

Will there be a “Best Misuse of Appointed Office” category, I think this one would have the most competition.

3 Likes

“Unsurprisingly, staffers left in hoards…”. Seriously, “hoards”? For Christ’s sake, it’s “hordes”. Would TPM please hire at least one proof reader?

10 Likes

Garrett’s a solid Rethugliklan. He seems nice.

1 Like

I ‘thought’ this stuff was illegal in the House…or maybe ‘not-permitted’ would be better. Don’t these people ‘all’ have the right to take him to HR or whatever they call that House Cmte which governs this kind of stuff? I mean when all the crap-ola re the sex harassment pay-offs happened I thought I read MANY of the complaints were about being forced to do these kinds of house-keeping things?

2 Likes

LMAO. So funny. So true. So sad. Nice article!

1 Like

And I thought I was a curmudgeon. You know how few sources publish this sort of content and how few users of TPM pay for it? And that is all you have about an amusing and informative article? I thank my stars regularly that the talented staff of TPM did not check their principles at the door when they chose their profession/employer.

5 Likes

Punctuation goes inside the quotation marks, Gus.

5 Likes

Isn’t there a name for this principle – grammar Nazi’s always have to make one grammar mistake in their post pointing out someone else’s grammar mistake? Poe’s law for grammar Nazi’s or sometthing?

1 Like

Finally. FINALLY. We in Charlottesville are used to being referred to in the national press as “that place where the Nazi’s attacked.” Now we can be known as “that place with the Congressman who makes his staffer scoop up dog doo-doo.” Thank you, Tom Garrett!

While we’re on the topic, this is perhaps Tom Garrett’s greatest hit: A smiling picture with noted local white supremacist Jason Kessler (red tie), March 2017, as the latter was organizing the “Unite the Right” rally, which brought that swarm of Nazi’s to Charlottesville that August and resulted in the death of three people. The meeting was to support the RAISE act, which would have cut legal immigration to the US in half. (Full disclosure: Garrett later denounced this guy. I guess he deserves a medal. In addition to a Golden Duke.)

5 Likes

He has done basically nothing for the 5th District. He does little for rural people who could often use internet access. His approach has been basically an emotional appeal to base instincts and fear. He has been pretty much a useless pawn. The 5th deserves better. No leadership. No principles. Just mailing it in and staying under cover when the spot light was on the 5th last summer. Not sure why he even ran in the first place. Maybe a good DC Lobby gig was always the goal.

2 Likes

Talk about an abuse of power. This creep deserves to lose. Btw why do so many of these guys look like Blake Farenhold?

1 Like

Stand down guy.

Maybe they hoard their love for Josh? I’m a Prime member by the way.

1 Like

Know thay wil knot!
Tiem four yu too joyn the 21rd senturrie, gramppa!

1 Like

It is a good article, but TPM’s contempt for copy-editing is a frequent annoyance for this paying customer… don’t even get me started on Josh’s posts, where some of the best political analysis on the web has to be deciphered from in between all the typos…

(Adding)- and yes, smart analysis strewn with typos is still preferable to vapid takes perfectly edited.

3 Likes