Discussion: Rep. Steve Stockman Would Like To Be Chief Climate Change Denier

Discussion for article #230570

I’m hoping the president nominates him for Idiot Laureate of the United States instead.

10 Likes

This man is not well. And I don’t mean that in a “He’s saying a bunch of stuff I don’t agree with” way, either.

3 Likes

It’s sad state of affairs when politicians race to see who can be the stupidest. That being said, even with this moronic Act, Stockman is still light years behind people Gohmert and Bachmann when comes to stupidity.

4 Likes

“Stockman Effect”

I’ve head of this - it’s where you say stupid shit because you’re born stupid.

3 Likes

I’m all for it. And can we please have more funds dedicated to research on Bigfoot, UFOs and why members of the GOTP are so colossally stupid.

4 Likes

Hey Steve - Floss, how does it work?

2 Likes

So Stockman is claiming to be a scientist by requiring the NIH to study his idea? More to the point: science experiments are generally complicated things and they are usually expensive considering it takes salaries to be paid to scientists, money to buy necessary equipment etc. How then does Mr Stockman propose to allocate money for this endeavor? I suspect his GOP compatriots won’t like the idea of allocating money for this work.
It would be poetic justice if this bill resulted in undeniable evidence that humans are causing the climate to degrade.

3 Likes

I would prefer that the title be “Moron Czar”.

5 Likes

What Stockman is really saying is that ‘I am available to be pimped out to any and all oil/energy/coal/fossil ‘donations’/dark money that I can get my grubby fingers on’

3 Likes

Floss? It’s made by a dental floss tycoon in Montana.

4 Likes

I say stick him and $ister$arah on a melting ice floe with a mama polar bear and her cubs…

2 Likes

Just a fad… Hmmm… I remember when the fad started. I was a tender 12 year old in the 7th grade back in the autumn of 1963. I was there when the fad began. We saw too amazing films produced by Bell Telephone Laboratories. Two reels played on an old school projector. One of the films was about the coming of global warming due to the very perceptible rise in atmospheric CO2 concentration since the beginnings of the industrial revolution, and it’s sequel was the coming global energy crisis. It’s amazing how scientists using scientific methods can use real evidence to make some incredibly accurate predictions. So some passing fad, huh?

2 Likes

I am continually amazed, but not shocked anymore, that uneducated ignorant fools like Mr Stockman can get elected to positions of responsibility that can affect the entire nation. But thankfully science does not operate on controversy but, rather, … facts.
Stockman is welcome to have his own opinion but he doesn’t get to have his own facts.
Presently, science demonstrates that the world’s climate is changing and the preponderance of available evidence says that the changes are human caused.

5 Likes

In 1896 Nobel prize winning physicist Svente Arrhenius, after determining that carbon dioxide was transparent to ultraviolet radiation yet absorbed infrared and heated, devised the greenhouse gas law and predicted that the burning of fossil fuels would warm the Earth. Anthropogenic Global Warming is neither new nor a “fad”; it is the result of detailed and well understood chemical and physical atmospheric processes. Anyone who does not understand this is willfully ignorant.

3 Likes

If the Earth’s magnetic field decreased it would have profound effects on all sorts of parameters. Consider: if the liquid metal core of our planet were to freeze we would lose the protection of our magnetic field. then the solar wind would strip away out atmosphere (that wouldn’t be good). In short order the Earth would resemble Mars. Cold, dry and 1/10thof it’s present atmosphere. Eventually this will happen but not for several billion years. I think what we are seeing in Mr Stockman is the “Fox Effect”. It’s caused by watching too much of Fox news. Watching Fox News warps one’s brain.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Mr Stockman isn’t smart enough to be willfully ignorant.

1 Like

The sad thing is that none of Stockman’s staffers bothered to check with any climate researcher. Or they would have found out that climate researchers have a very good understanding of the effects of natural influences on climate (volcanoes, the sun, orbital variations, etc.) And they know that natural forcings can not solely explain the warming that has occurred over the past 30-40 years. The warming can only be explained once the additional forcings from man-made greenhouse gases are considered. And worst of all, this is something that climate scientists have known for quite a while. It is not a new development. Stockman seems to think that since of his absurd reasons for global warming have any validity, we can just go back to the top of the list and go through the rejected items all over again. This is not a coincidence either. Recently Fred Singer, one of the most ignorant kings of climate warming denial and a denialist when it comes to links between cigarettes and cancer, wrote a letter to the editor trotting out many of the same long ago disproved canards. Naturally the media jumped all over it with pleasure since it goes with the “false equivalency meme” that they love…even though it had no basis in scientific reality at all.

2 Likes

You can get all the information you desire already. Just watch the History Channel and its sister spin off H2. They specialize in ufo controversy, bigfoot shows and the grandfather of all idiot programs that specialize in idiot pseudoscience speculation “Ancient Aliens”. There you can revel in learning that everything you thought was a human advancement was deliberately caused by extraterrestrials from the planet Omicron Zeta in the Orion Cluster. I’m serious. The program “Ancient Aliens” really does speculate that every human advancement was caused by aliens…and I don’t mean illegal aliens from Central America. It’s the worst kind of speculative pseudoscience trash masquerading as truth. That it is actually on TV should be an embarrassment to any and all broadcasters.

4 Likes

Or, you begin to identify with the stupid person holding your intelligence hostage.