Discussion: READ: WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange Indicted Under Espionage Act

1 Like

This is not surprising, although the timing is weird. I thought they would get Assange to the USA somehow and THEN throw the book at him.

4 Likes

If this news suddenly makes Russian puppet Trumpanzees critical of their Cult Leader, I’m good.

Today:

A month ago:

Link
"Mueller said this is done by some low-level aide, acting alone; there’s no evidence he coordinated it with even Donald Trump, let alone with the Russians or Vladimir Putin; and that it was just an attempt to conform the GOP platform to what Trump’s stated foreign policy was. And over and over and over, from the Trump Tower meeting to all of the post—Russian connections after both the convention and the election, Mueller used the same language over and over and over again, which is that there’s no evidence, or the evidence does not establish that these conspiracy theories actually happened…

1 Like

Arrested on a US extradition warrant? How does that square with the fact that he was charged, and is currently incarcerated, for bail-jumping?

Both Sweden and the US will be claiming first dibs on him after the Brits release him from his current jail sentence, afaik.

3 Likes

Can’t do that with an extradition.

1 Like

After spending years in the Ecuadorian embassy in London, Assange was evicted and arrested on a U.S. extradition warrant in April related to one charge regarding conspiracy to hack.

I would had described his staying in the Ecuadorian embassy as “hiding out”, under their protection, or just maybe receiving sanctuary.

2 Likes

Assange is a POS and guilty of many things, including conspiring with Russia to subvert our election because he didn’t like Hillary. That said, the last thing I would want is for this asshole’s actions used to undermine the media’s legitimate mission to expose government bad acts.

14 Likes

Haven’t read anything beyond this report yet, but folks should be careful about what they wish for.

2 Likes

“A federal grand jury has indicted Wikileaks founder Julian Assange on 17 counts of violating the Espionage Act.”

Meanwhile, back on November 13, 2017:

“President Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. and Wikileaks exchanged private messages on Twitter during the 2016 presidential campaign, The Atlantic reported on Monday.”

Tick tock, scumbag, tick tock.

33 Likes

That wouldn’t work. The US needs England to extradite him. Under the extradition treaty, he can’t be charged for additional crimes committed before the extradition.

Edit. I see @turdburgler made the same point above.

6 Likes

Hmm so Greenwald is saying it was OK for Manning to give Assange access codes, so as to be able to directly hack into the US systems? Isn’t it a crime to actively participate in stealing classified information as opposed to having someone hand you classified information and publishing it?

11 Likes

You made it better.

2 Likes

The new indictment – which charges him for his publishing activity – raises fundamental First Amendment questions.

GOPers: That’s the one that guarantees consequence-free speech for conservatives, right?

1 Like

Greenwald is also very peachy with Edward Snowden’s acts and it is no coincidence Snowden lives in Russia.

3 Likes

Wonderful schadenfreude for the troubles of one of the biggest assholes out there (donnie bonespurs is the biggest, no contest).

3 Likes

That picture looks like Tom Hanks in the movie about the Fedex Dude who gets stranded with a soccer ball on a desert island.

3 Likes

The last three counts are a direct assault on the First Amendment and ought to be dismissed. The rest of them are for shit no one, even a “journalist,” ought to think is very cool and legal.

Someone drops classified documents in your lap? Print away. Someone says “hey, I can get you more, would you be interested?” Still okay to say “yeah, sure.” Maybe even okay to say “dunno, whattaya got?”

Actively collaborating and directing the activities of the hacker stealing classified documents in real time? Yeah, now you’re committing espionage.

30 Likes

https://definitions.uslegal.com/d/doctrine-of-specialty/

If I Remember right, journalists cannot accept information that is illegally or wrongfully obtained by a source. But if it lands on their desk, I believe under the transom (over the transom) and they don’t know who gave it to them or where it came from, they can publish it then.

3 Likes

What?! The defender of world democracy has been indicted while imprisoned in Great Britain and possibly under indictment in Sweden for sexual assault?!

I’m shocked! Shocked, I tells ya!!!

Oh, and Glenn Greenwald can eat shit and die. And so can Edward Snowden.

4 Likes