Discussion: READ: White House Tells McGahn Not To Comply With Congressional Subpoena

1 Like

So, McGahn can decide whether his career and reputation can turn to shit like everyone else who’s come near the Black Hole squatting in the White House. I would love to see Strawberry Shartcake have a meltdown when McGahn disobeys him, as he should.

33 Likes

Either assert executive privilege or STFU.

19 Likes

White House counsel Pat Cipollone told Don McGahn not to comply with a congressional subpoena for documents… in a letter to McGahn’s attorney Tuesday.

Now that’s what I call a circle-jerk. Thankfully, no actual humans were involved in the exchange.

14 Likes

The White House records remain legally protected from disclosure under longstanding constitutional principles, because they implicate significant Executive Branch confidentiality interests and executive
privilege.

Which is precisely why Congress wants to see those documents and have a chat with McGahn.

See how this works?

25 Likes

So is this an order to McGahn? Or can he ignore it? (I guess you could say the same thing about the subpoena, but things getting confusing).

3 Likes

“The DOJ is aware and concurs…”

Another fact in the impeachment of Barr for obstruction of justice.

38 Likes

Yeah iam a little confused, are they actually asserting it this time or are they doing the usual thing of talking about it but not officially asserting it?

6 Likes

Gee, Mitch’s little pity party on the floor has aged well

6 Likes

McGahn will flip. He’s not going to jail for Donald. His John Dean moment.

36 Likes

I could be remembering the details wrong from a @StayTuned episode (Preet Bharara’s podcast), but memory tells me that once McGahn was allowed to share the information/documents executive privilege was waived and no longer applies; the info/docs have been shared, the cows are out of the barn, and that’s that.

47 Likes

Yepper, all the attorneys are making money. If McGahn complies, they could sue him because anyone can sue anyone for most anything. But would they have a basis for so doing? And would McGahn have the resources (money to pay his brethren attorneys) to fight it?

1 Like

I don’t think this is something McGahn has to comply with…even if Trump tries to assert executive privilege he can’t stop him from testifying about the information already in the public domain. This is, as usual, an open attempt to threaten a witness…hopefully McGahn ignores this and testifies…really, this should drive him to do so.

24 Likes

Docs were due in Committee hands at 10am on May 7.

Letter is dated May 7.

Why does everyone always wait until the last minute?

(What if McGahn complied … yesterday … ? )

I’m sooooooo glad to be living in a country where the powerful simply have no rules to play by.

Calvinballland.

11 Likes

I am getting the sense that one reason the House leadership is resistant to impeachment is that by their actions it seems that the White House is trying to trigger impeachment hearings. Maybe the administration thinks the majority of people don’t care enough about separation of powers, and can be stampeded into the view that “the Democrats are trying to undo the election!”

Still, I think calling the White House on it makes more sense than letting them run out the clock, aggregate power, and normalize law-breaking for another week. As Josh suggested, we can’t really rely on the courts to honor a close Democratic victory, and so the best chance in 2020 is to air as much of Trump’s dirty laundry as possible.

19 Likes

Come on McGahn …

4 Likes

Trump cannot stop everything people have on him. He should have been going up the escalator instead of down in 2015…

8 Likes

Statistically non-insignificant chance it’s precisely this.

But, Josh’s Razor ™: “the stupidest explanation is probably the correct one.” They’re panicked, dumb, and flailing.

16 Likes

Double Secret Reverse Psychology

Or is it?

1 Like

Executive privilege doesn’t legally obligate anyone—does it?
If McGahn decides to spill all the pillow talk, is there any legal recourse?

3 Likes