Discussion: READ: Republicans Go After IG Report That Criticized Trump DC Hotel Lease

The Republicans who sent the letter question why the IG spent time in the report on a lengthy discussion of the constitutional law issues at hand, and also allege that the watchdog failed to mention Justice Department arguments defending Trump’s ownership of the building in the report.

Me thinks the Republican pocket edition of the US Constitution does not have the Nobility Clause, so Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 is a great mystery to them.

15 Likes

A lot of people say Gym Jordan will happily “assist” any Group Of Predators.

9 Likes

The GOP seems to have forgotten that it doesn’t control the House. By all means let’s have a public hearing on this with Democrats deciding who and what to subpoena, and which questions to permit or disallow.

24 Likes

Old enough to remember when ‘pay to play’ was both a major campaign issue and a Trump campaign talking point.

12 Likes

Which is why the Freedumb Caucus had to go and get the dumbest US Senator to sign the letter.

12 Likes

Oh you thought he was talking about being against ‘pay to play,’ I thought that was his sales pitch.

6 Likes

Why are they so willing to die on this hill?

9 Likes

Because they’re gnats, and gnats will do what gnats do, be annoying and pests.

5 Likes

You’d also think there would be someone in the GOP who is properly described as a “lawmaker.”

Nope. Just criminals (i.e. law breakers) and the folks they pay to destroy the law before it destroys them.

7 Likes

Meadows? Jordan? Johnson? These guys go around with constant Trump hard-ons.

And of course the kicker is on page 2 with a massive documents request to be provided to them by Jan 18. Cummings should just invoke the legal equivalent of “fuck off”.

7 Likes

A “personnel and time log accounting?” These clowns have no idea how a government agency operates. No one is keeping track of “billable hours.” The IG’s office is not a profit center. At best they can tell you who worked on a project. That’s about the extent of it.

15 Likes

There’s nothing more virtuous than looting from the United States Treasury to enrich Preshitident Skanky-Manslut and his family.

3 Likes

So, if I correctly understand how this works, the IG can simply ignore the request as though it was never made, since the Dems control the House. I seem to remember numerous requests when the tables were turned that simply ignored. I guess it sucks to be in the minority.

15 Likes

Perhaps these originalist judge-loving Republicans ought to start by reading the language of the lease.

5 Likes

It takes a level of intellectual genius unique to the GOP to question why the IG would spend time doing Constitutional law research on an issue of Constitutional law.

15 Likes

Well, in the spirit of bipartisanship and comity, I think we need a special prosecutor to look into this lease, seeing how the Republicans are so concerned about it.

If not, maybe a subcommittee headed by AOC?

To show comity, with a little comedy.

17 Likes

Last I knew, we had a national zoo … unless Junior and Captain Juice Box have been over there pursuing their shared hobby.

1 Like

Yup, that says it all, only I would call it:

The FreeDumbAss Brotherhood

3 Likes

We have a POTUS who is – sorry to overuse the term – a Manchurian Candidate.
His latest orders from Putin are to emasculate his intel people – disregard anything they say about Russian mischief. See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil. Fingers in ears, lalalalala.
And the GOP poobahs are concerned about this? It’s insanity.

IMPEACH !!!

9 Likes

Obviously the Republicans new course of action is trying to beat Nancy Pelosi to the punch. I say go for it called her bluff show me exactly why and what did they have to say to justify it we know it’s in the lease are you slay this stupid Republican doesn’t.

And this new policy of theirs falls right into what Donald Trump is threatening to do to try and get out in front of any challenger from his own party And attack them before they get a chance to decide to run against him. Seriously I have heard some dumb strategy disease in my life just has to take the cake they must be low on what they can do to offset the challenge the Democrats out for them.

2 Likes