Discussion: READ: Full Text Of Obama's Dem Convention Speech

1 Like

My President
Our President
Extraordinary and beyond… Thank You Barak Hussein Obama

6 Likes

I can’t count times I’ve listened to this man speak and been left temporarily dumbstruck, wondering sarcastically “welp, what’s left to say after THAT?” As much as he’s had good writers, the man could read a Campbell’s Soup label’s ingredient list and leave you feeling like you just experienced something profound, perhaps leaving you slightly changed for having lived the hearing of it. But it’s not a soup label, and it is something profound, and you have been changed, and there maybe really is nothing more to say, only to act, and he made it abundantly clear tonight what to DO: Vote for her.

13 Likes

Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. who never knew his father, but turned that abandonment into being the father to his daughters he wished he’d had. I think about that and I’m destroyed. I’m also destroyed to think the first daughter of the first black president is going to vote for the first time this year for the first woman president. How wonderful is that.

12 Likes

Hot Damn, what a speech.
Hilary entering at the end.
I am moved and excited by his words.
Go Democrats! The next few weeks / months will be tough but, for tonight, I will savor this feeling.

7 Likes

We’ve been joking for the last year about a guy who doesn’t have a f*ck left to give.

Turns out he still does.

4 Likes

Don’t just read it. Experience it.

Youtube link to Obama’s entire speech:

Totally. Worth. Watching. All of it.

All the Democratic Convention videos:

[ ETA -

[quote=“President Barack Obama”]"We all need to get out and vote for Democrats up and down the ticket, and then hold them accountable until they get the job done.

If you want more justice in the justice system, then we’ve all got to vote – not just for a President, but for mayors, and sheriffs, and state’s attorneys, and state legislators. And we’ve got to work with police and protesters until laws and practices are changed."[/quote]

Get that message out to everyone. We need the strongest turnout ever seen in 2016, and 2018 and 2020. Do not forget that the U.S. Census is coming in 2020 … and if we don’t set the stage for that before 2020 gets here, we will be well and truly fucked. Do NOT forget what the Republicans did to us and our country, and the world, when they took advantage of the 2010 Census.

Every single time you talk with anyone about voting, make sure to mention this until everyone includes this in the discussion. ]

1 Like

Time and again, as my exasperation has boiled over into comments whose snark slid over into pure meanness, because I’ve forgotten there’s a real human on the other side of the comment I’m responding to, he gives a speech and he shames me. It doesn’t last, but that’s because he’s better than me. He’s better than we deserve. And what he’s gotten in return is eight years of abuse and demonization and not just from the right, not by a long shot. And, sadly, it’s the willful, spiteful blindness of so many, most right, some on the left, to the fact that he’s better than we deserve that makes me as bad as they are.

9 Likes

I love President Obama!

Great, great, great!

Well said.

However, give yourself some credit steve, I’ve been reading your comments for years now. You might complain once in a while, and be snarky, like we all do. But, you have been supported of this comment thread, of our President and to me personally when attacked by trolls.

It’s a pleasure to read your thoughts on different issues. And sometimes, regardless of who writes the comments, it’s okay to show your displeasure!

3 Likes

Thank you. Truly appreciated. But I am much meaner in my Disqus persona over at MoJo and RawStory.

1 Like

As well you should be!