Discussion: Popular Liberal Polish Mayor Dies After Being Stabbed In The Heart Onstage

A RWNJ assasinating a popular liberal mayor?

The price of democracy is getting too high.

7 Likes

It only takes one bad apple to upset the extremist Right Wing / White Supremacist / White Nationalist apple cart!

4 Likes

Oh, jeez, this is bad news, especially with the current RWNJs in charge in Poland.

(Gdansk has a spectacularly beautiful old town…)

7 Likes

Is it worse for the regime to say there are bad people on both sides?

3 Likes

Godspeed Mr. Adamowicz. Scary times.

3 Likes

I hope we can keep our own vastly better-armed crazies tamped down as much as possible until we don’t have an instigator-in-chief any more. Seriously concerned.

9 Likes

It’s never ‘too’ high…

There was a nasty incident the other day in London in which RWNJ Brexit backers surrounded a pro-Remain MP and called her “Nazi” and “traitor.” She was afraid for her life. Other Remainer MPs have gotten death threats and are constantly looking over their shoulders…I hope there will be another referendum so that these people get slapped back there. They are really feeling energized worldwide. It would help to have instigator-in-chief marginalized as well. Hugely.

9 Likes

Perhaps poorly worded, but you catch my drift…

1 Like

When will we hear from the NRA that this crazed knife-wielder would have been stopped if all of Poland was armed?

3 Likes

Apparently guns aren’t necessary to accomplish second amendment remedies.

1 Like

As soon as I read the city (Gdansk, known to me from my boyhood interest in WWII as “Danzig”), I wondered if or how he’d have been involved in the shipworkers’ activism, which ultimately overthrew Soviet communism and (s)elected a pope. Reasonably people can argue about what part they played, but I don’t think anyone would deny that they had at least some hand in it.

Adamowicz was part of the democratic opposition formed in Gdansk under the leadership of Lech Walesa during the 1980s.

It’s mightily wrong and (stochastically terroristic) for the ruling Polish Right or their supporters to call him a Nazi. Unfortunately, I have nothing much more to add to others’ comments of condolence, sadness, fear, and concern.

2 Likes

Democracy, the rule of law and liberalism were never very strong in Central and Eastern Europe prior to the end of WWII. Since end of Soviet control of what was the Eastern Bloc, I don’t think they blossomed much.

One, Jo Cox, was killed a bit more than a year ago by a RWNJ. Thank you Cameron.

5 Likes

Yes, I remember, tragic. The culprit in that case was a Brexiteer and Nazi sympathizer. funny how Brexit has brought out the Nazi element in Britain…reason enough to go with Remain.

4 Likes

& trump in the US but…

DoNT cAll Us RAcisT, SnOwFLakeS!!!

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available