Discussion: Poll: One In Eight Trump Supporters Want To Change Their Vote

1 Like

“Not my fault. Somebody should have told me that guy was Donald Trump. Who could have known?”

25 Likes

Yeah, hindsight is 20-20 but unfortunately, it doesn’t solve the problem for us.

8 Likes

Yeah, but his base—the people who will never leave him; who use Trump water, eat Trump steaks, wipe with Trump toilet paper—those guys are rock solid in their support.

3 Likes

Well, to be fair, the toilet paper is a Koch product.

10 Likes

Trump hindsight is 100% ignorant…

4 Likes

And the other 7 ?
We are doomed.

12 Likes

Trump could appear on television, inform everyone that he is blasting the entire planet to a radioactive cinder, and 87.5% of his voters’ last words as the lights go on would be “Well, at least it wasn’t Hillary.”

25 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. 7 out of 8 Trump voters think he’s doing a good job. What the hell?

12 Likes

A more interesting number to me would be how many who voted for Jill Stein would do the same if they could have a do over?

I think 12% is a very low number given that a lot of otherwise reasonable people voted for him.

How many voted for Trump but denied doing so to the pollsters? Of course a number we will never know.

There is a natural reluctance to admit you got something wrong, and given how horribly wrong this is, I think some are sticking to their story because they were too public in their support with friends and family to walk it back now without eating a lot of crow.

13 Likes

Well…not necessarily that 7 out of 8 think he’s doing a good job. Some of those 7 are ones who said, well, I’m not thrilled but, given the options we had, that was IMO the best choice.

1 Like

On the other hand

19 Likes

If you never admit you were wrong you’re not wrong …right? Many so\called conservatives seem to have a real mental issue about being and admitting being wrong.

8 Likes

Trump is really ignorant of history. He fashions himself and his family after the Romanov’s, but is unaware of what happened to them.

5 Likes

Well, I reckon that lots of people who voted for Trump in November, thinking they were clever and free thinking change-makers, are never going to admit it now.

So the poll is likely skewed toward the Proud-Ignorent end of the Trump voter spectrum, and away from the Fed-Up-and-Duped end. And the Proud-Ignorent are still proud, and no more knowledgeable than they were last year.

13 Likes

Excellent point. There are many attitudes or behaviors that pollsters can’t gauge accurately. This poll has two of them–admitting you did something in the past that is now controversial (voting for Trump) and admitting your act was a mistake (voter remorse).

6 Likes

Well, if Bob Mueller does his job they may yet have a chance for a mulliigan.

9 Likes

That would give us a number just slightly higher than his current avg approval rating but mostly in line with it.

We haven’t seen a breakthrough we want to see, just yet…

2 Likes

The Guardian has a good article today about Trump voters still blaming Hillary.

They say that there’s no way their opinion was altered by Russian propaganda because they know Hillary is such a liar and a cheat… exactly what they were told to think.

18 Likes

Of those surveyed in July, 12 percent said they would not vote for Trump again if the 2016 election were held today, but about 88 percent said they wouldn’t change their vote, according to the poll.

…