Discussion: Police Stood By As Mayhem Mounted In Charlottesville

The only action by the police was the officer on the bullhorn.

Hard to judge from the sidelines, but it seems like they could have been more involved in keeping the groups better separated.

I suspect we will hear more about his. Did the police “stand back” when they might have intervened to prevent some of what happened in Charlottesville? The police sure used different tactics in Seattle to keep the opposing groups separated. I heard Al Sharpton (I know. . . ) mention this earlier on Saturday, but this possibility wasn’t picked up on by anyone else.

2 Likes

I had read that there had been a plan by the City officials to have the rally held at a much larger park, where the groups could be better physically separated by the police, but a federal judge turned down that plan, forcing City officials to hold the rally at the much more confined setting. If so, that certainly didn’t help.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that . . . thanks for adding that information for consideration.

The Daily Stormer, a popular neo-Nazi website, encouraged rally attendees to bring shields, pepper spray, and fascist flags and flagpoles. A prominent racist podcast told its listeners to come carrying guns.

These statements were not made by “websites” or “podcasts.” They were made by real people. Who were they? They should be charged with conspiracy to commit assault and murder. A person can be charged and convicted for any crime that occurs during or as a result of the commission of a felony. Incitement to riot is a felony. The organizers of this riot should be charged with murder, for their active participation and support of the murderer who crashed into the peaceful protestors.

You read correctly. The Nazis wanted the rally to be held in Emancipation Park (where the statue is), but after seeing how many Nazi groups were signing up to attend, the city wanted to move it to McIntire Park, which is apparently much larger. Nazis said that moving the rally away from the statue infringed on their First Amendment rights. Judge agreed with the Nazis. Details on the court injunction here:

http://www.nbc29.com/story/36115819/judge-grants-injunction-jason-kessler-can-have-unite-the-right-rally-at-emancipation-park