Discussion: Police: 'Empire' Star Jussie Smollet Attacked In 'Possible Hate Crime'

The celebrity news website TMZ reported of the incident, citing unnamed “sources directly connected to Jussie,” that the two men who allegedly attacked the actor after he left a Subway sandwich shop at around 2 a.m. Tuesday first yelled at him: “Aren’t you that fot ‘Empire’ n**?”

Coach always told us nothing good ever happens after midnight.

Gee, I wonder who they voted for?

4 Likes

Many
Are
Getting
Arrested

Your turn soon, guys.

10 Likes

This…oh boy, this is going to get NASTY

2 Likes

This had Proud Boys written all over it.

12 Likes

How does the word “possible” fit in this scenario? It is not possible to come up with one single other explanation of this other than it was a hate crime.

11 Likes

"JFK Killed In Possible Assassination Attempt!"

Sounds like a headline you’d read from AP or Politico, doesn’t it?

8 Likes

Pretty sure Chicago is not MAGA country. Someonesane probably has it right. Unfortunately, the cold weather is not going to make guys in ski-masks look out of place (my tiny–under 5 foot-- daughter has class at DePaul this morning and is wearing one since she has to be on L platforms and walk downtown).

Edited: someonesane for Proud Boys attribution, but hope the_loan_arranger is correct

Stochastic hate crime attack. Under Trump, we may not know exactly when or where it’s going to happen, but we can bet it will.

2 Likes

True that. As a LEO I know about modern criminal Forensic Science. If enough resources are devoted to solving the crime it will be solved.

Given who the victim was the Delta Bravo’s who did this will need a good lawyer.

3 Likes

InfoWars claim that this is a set-up and he did it to himself in 3…2…1…

2 Likes

QUICK! Someone get Savanah Guthrie to interview the assailants about their feelings of being persecuted and economic anxiety.

6 Likes

I thought about this, but we’re still reporting based on the police and unnamed sources. Plus, ‘hate crime’ in this context is a legal term that would be proven in court. If this did happen, it’s certainly racist and homophobic, and possibly a hate crime, but we don’t have enough information to say that yet.\

edit: tagging @krux too bc of their comment

12 Likes

Interesting fact: whichever of the several 24 hour Subway Sandwiches he was exiting from in the area, he was within blocks of Trump Tower (401 N. Wabash).

I hadn’t realized the weather. Otherwise a ski mask would be serious premeditation. (Friends who have been bashed over the decades have reported their idiots to have been looking for someone to beat up, but not necessarily them.)

This makes me so unbelievably angry. I would love to find these low life, no class fkers in a dark alley. I know ‘violence doesn’t solve anything’ but it would reduce my blood pressure.

2 Likes

I can hardly begin to say how enraged this makes me! The Current Resident has opened a fifty-five gallon drum of hatefulness and sprayed it all over America. Now people are just walking out of the shadows and pulling this kind of stupid sh*t because they feel entitled to do so. Damn! That pisses me off something terrible.

6 Likes

They did dump bleach on him, which isn’t something most people carry around, and he had received threatening letters a few days ago, so premeditation can’t be ruled out.

15 Likes

Who carries bleach around in DT Chicago? If they live in the area, they are likely not doing their own cleaning, nor are they on their home way from a housekeeping gig at 2 am. Their intentions were highly questionable whatever they may have been. Just my opinion.

2 Likes