Discussion: Police: Aurora Gunman Had Previous Arrests, History Of Domestic Violence

My thoughts exactly.

The only possible explanation is that MS-13 has re-armed the populace with millions of guns in just a couple of years, despite Trump’s exemplary efforts to keep all the Mexicans out of White America.

So, I’m quite understandably torn. On the one hand, I’m obviously opposed to thousands of pretty blonde Lahrens tied up in vans, practically mummified in duct tape. On the other hand, I’m obviously incredibly supportive of anyone who provides firearms, no matter how lax their commitment to background checks or sensitivity to criminal histories, known mental health issues, self-published death threats and promises to “punish” people, etc.

And so I leave it with all of you: Which came out of the opened door – the lady, or the tiger?

1 Like

So, they took his card, and no one ever thought to find out if he had already purchased any guns? Am I reading that correctly?

1 Like

I’m an HR manager, and I conduct a lot of these meetings. I know your comment is tongue in cheek, but, gaming this out a bit, the only way an HR’s manager’s gun would be useful would be if it was literally out in the open all the time, ready to shoot first. I’m pretty sure that if the person I’m firing shoots first from across the table, meaning at very close range, I won’t be in any condition to shoot back. I don’t think my employers would look kindly on me if I started shooting first, just as a precaution.

1 Like

This is probably obvious to us here at TPM, but the common sense thing would be to ban domestic violence offenders from gun ownership. If nothing else, their families are probably at high risk of being shot to death, if beating doesn’t get the desired result.

3 Likes

Lots of people have proposed that kind of legislation. You’ll never believe what happened next …

coughough NRA coughcough

4 Likes

Yeah, I was pretty sure I wasn’t the first person to think of it. So, tell me, what happened next? :confused:

Police: Aurora Gunman Had Previous Arrests, History Of Domestic Violence

Most importantly, he had a gun.

2 Likes

Someone everyone is agreed shouldn’t have had a gun under existing laws. The answer: more thoughts and prayers.

1 Like

It says he was arrested for domestic violence, but no mention of being convicted. So it likely wouldn’t have mattered.

1 Like

In some places, even a DV arrest leads to at least temporary seizure (and the accused can file to get the weapon back. But in this case, if the state’s various databases were talking to one another – something the NRA has actively worked against – the DV arrests would have triggered a notice that there was an outstanding order (possibly a warrantt – the reporting isn’t clear) for the defendant to give up the handgun because it was not lawfully owned once the felony conviction report came back. So they simply could have said “Give up the gun you have no right to own” before releasing him on bond for the DV charge(s).

1 Like