Discussion: Pliable GOP May Help WH Snatch Victory From Jaws Of Defeat On Nat’l Emergency

1 Like

“They’re being beaten up right now, so if you see anybody that’s got blood dripping out of their ear, they may be changing,” Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) told the Post of his still-undecided Republican colleagues. “There’s still a significant number, but there’s a lot of people being bruised and bullied.”

Because, this is what you do when your policies and ideas suck.

And when you’re a wanna-be authoritarian.

36 Likes

Meanwhile, ferret-head will vote to give the Traitor-in-Chief what he wants, I expect.

8 Likes

I’m a little confused. If they pass the 30 day limit bill, I imagine it lets them save face for a while, but I still don’t expect they’ll have the votes to actually approve of Trump’s emergency. Definitely not in the house.

I also suppose that Congress simply letting the deadline pass without approval might be better for Trump’s standing in court rather than a bill that unequivocally states Congress’ disapproval.

8 Likes

According to a Tuesday Washington Post report, Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) has drafted legislation that would put reins on the 1976 National Emergencies Act by limiting any President’s unilateral action to a 30-day period before requiring congressional approval. A growing number of Senate Republicans seem to be gravitating towards supporting Lee’s legislation and the national emergency.

any = future Democratic POTUS.

In terms of the present, I still don’t see how that would work in the favor of the 4 vulnerable Rethug senators up for re-election next year. It doesn’t buy them any cover.

14 Likes

Whatever Happened to Melania Trump’s Anti-Bullying Crusade?

Daily Beast - June 13, 2017

9 Likes

They can try this but it still matters that it takes legislative contortions and Oval Office jawboning to get the Senate not to reject this Hail Mary attempt to fund Trump’s big signature promise to his base after two years of controlling the government. And the thing still goes straight to the courts and a very uncertain future. That’s just weak, and if it’s one thing Washington can smell it’s weakness.

15 Likes

“There’s still a significant number, but there’s a lot of people being bruised and bullied.”

Poor little snowflakes, unable to vote their consciences for fear of being subjected to a mean tweet from Cheetoh Jesus. Or, worse, a primary challenge! The entire GOP is a Portrait in Cowardice. Also, too, will this 30-day limit apply retroactively? Mike Lee, as Pierce styles him “The Konztitutional Scholar.” Yeah, right.

13 Likes

Any vote to revise the emergency law is expected to be independent of the vote on the disapproval resolution…

Mitch and Donnie would never renege on the deal after they get what they want, right?

10 Likes

It’s hard to defend an unpopular policy every once in a while.

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused on what the bills does. Is it:

• After 30 days, Congress has to vote to extend the emergency or else it expires? or
  • Congress can’t vote to cancel the emergency until after 30 days pass?

However, honestly I would prefer Trump to actually win on his emergency declaration and get a conservative Supreme Court to sign off on it. That way the next Democratic President can do the same for real emergencies, like Climate Change (Remember, the Pentagon has already declared Climate Change a threat to national security: https://unfccc.int/news/climate-change-threatens-national-security-says-pentagon)

There is no way Trump is going to get much, if any, of the wall built before the next election, so as long as he gets voted out and the Dems hold one or both houses of Congress, he or she could declare a Climate Change emergency on Day 1 and start moving funds from the DoD to Green New Deal projects.

13 Likes

“They’re being beaten up right now, so if you see anybody that’s got blood dripping out of their ear, they may be changing,” Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) told the Post of his still-undecided Republican colleagues. “There’s still a significant number, but there’s a lot of people being bruised and bullied.”

Beat them harder, please.

2 Likes

Its been turned over to Nick Sandmann.

2 Likes

“Pliable” is one way to describe them.

3 Likes

Did anyone expect anything different. The azz kissing will continue until they are voted out.

3 Likes

Party over country. That is what politics has devolved to. Sad.

6 Likes

The problem with having the Supremes sign off is that, like in Bush v. Gore, they will simply issue a ruling and say it doesn’t establish precedent. That way if a new president happens to be black, a woman, or a Democrat (or all three), the court can shrug its shoulders and go back to fellating Republicans. In the law this is called “having your cake and eating it too.”

11 Likes

That’s true, which is why I feel the Dem candidates should be working now to start identifying GND projects that can be implemented quickly. If they can get a few projects or proposals going in the first month, it’ll put pressure on Congress to keep them going even if they get stopped by injunction (e.g. harder to take things away than stop them from starting).

My favorite idea is to start a “Climate Adaptation Fund” which sends a small check per month to all Americans that increases over time. Its primary reason would be to help people adapt to climate change-related impacts. Have the Social Security administration start sending checks on Feb. 1st, 2021 to all Americans. The starting amount would depend on what budget programs could be identified, but the DoD has gotten pretty large increases under Trump so far.

Even if it gets stopped by the courts, Dems could just introduce legislation to keep it going and dare the GOP to vote against it.

3 Likes

Power over others is weakness disguised as strength.
-Eckhart Tolle

2 Likes

I’m just shocked they aren’t rewriting the definition of the word emergency, more in the tune that Trump would like i.e. An Emergency is what I your dear leader says it is.

2 Likes