Discussion: Philly Cuts Off Cooperation With ICE, Citing Indiscriminate Raids, Arrests

Shouldn’t be in the state’s purview to inspect not only the government controlled sites but those sites HHS has contracted with? If HHS is saying they meet state guidelines then the state should have the right to make sure.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity: the story said it takes two of the three entities to declare the contract over. Anyone know if the city courts weighed in? Unanimity of intent would be great.

1 Like

Yeah if there were so many immigrants committing so many crimes then ICE wouldn’t have the time to go after the immigrants that have misdemeanors or witnesses to other crimes.

4 Likes

Just to check out the new food offerings at the concession stands.

2 Likes

Appreciate the perspective from an in-the-know local.

4 Likes

And the beer offerings too. This society may be sliding into the abyss but damn if you can’t get some good craft beers these days.

5 Likes

Well we must make sure we keep up or exceed previous standards.

1 Like

Somebody deserves an Academy Award. This is brilliant.

4 Likes

One more thing I knew nothing about. One more reason to come here and learn a thing or two daily.

I have been to one single NHL game in my life. It was in about 1987, when the NY Rangers were still years away from their first Stanley Cup since the 1940s. The NY Islanders had been a recent dynasty who had held mastery over the Rangers (this I knew from watching the nightly sports report on the nightly local news) and the NJ Devils were beginning a dynasty where they would also hold mastery over the Rangers. The opponent that night were the Hartford Whalers. The game was mostly uneventful except for a chant that one of the referees (identified by his last name, his first name was Kerry) “sucks.” Then, a propos of nothing, the Garden crowd broke into a chant of “Potvin sucks,” about Islander great Denis Potvin. The chant went for many minutes and then morphed into “Potvin beats his wife,” apparently in reference to a domestic violence call his wife once made from their Long Island mansion. I know Philly Flyer fans are deranged, but I thought the Ranger crowd held their own in this regard during my one anthropological foray into the Hockey demographic.

3 Likes

Yet I remember when good ol’ Schlitz was good beer.

1 Like

As a friend of mine liked to say, “balls for days.”

While this from San Francisco is not the same kind of resistance, it is in its way a demonstration of citizens saying no to tyrants.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/SF-coffee-shop-turns-down-Salesforce-contract-in-13108225.php

A San Francisco coffee company has joined the outcry over the services Salesforce provides to U.S. Customs and Border Protection by turning down a $40,000 contract to serve drinks at Dreamforce, Salesforce’s annual user conference.

2 Likes

Philadelphia Eagles are defending SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS. What my man Jay Ajayi (an immigrant) just said…

1 Like

The night I went it was “Caps suck!” over and over. Also at one point the opposing players were going to their locker room during a break. Some Flyers fans were taunting them from a railing above the passageway and one of the Caps slashed at them with his stick. Never heard of such stuff!

In my college days I liked Schlitz—it had a whiff of actual flavor. We’ve all moved on since then but I remember it fondly. Philly had quite a few well-known breweries back in the day. Big German influence in the eastern part of the state historically.

2 Likes

Great catch. Especially notable to label a local elected official by party. Often local elected officials don’t even have a party affiliation. And when they do, it’s often meaningless.

2 Likes

In March 5th Circuit Appeals court upheld Texas ban on sanctuary cities

Other news
February

May

July

This the 300th Anniversary of the founding of San Antonio, by “Spanish’s-Indians” from Mexico. See

2 Likes

Eh, I’m going to mildly disagree. It’s typical to identify politicians by party, especially if it’s relevant to some inter-party conflict. “Let relevance be the guide” sayeth the AP stylebook. Most people know Trump’s affiliation. Nothing sinister about it. @maxaroo

3 Likes

Spot on. And MS-13 started right here in the United States. Look to the real problems.

At the city and county level? Not anywhere I’ve lived it’s not. San Diego County Supervisors often don’t even have a party affiliation. Some places do carry party affiliation down to the local level though, so maybe you’ve lived primarily where that’s the case.

1 Like

Schlitz was the beer of choice in the parental home. When I started drinking, Schlitz was everywhere. It was a good, honest beer. Then things changed very quickly in the 70s. I understand they jacked with the brand and ruined it. I switched to DosEquis or Killians for the few times I have a beer. Otherwise it is scotch or wine.

2 Likes