Discussion: Pelosi Will Not Authorize SOTU Until Government Reopens

You went away and left me long time ago
Now you’re knocking on my door
I hear you knocking, but you can’t come in
I hear you knocking, go back where you been

31 Likes

Good for Speaker Pelosi. Its about time that Donnie learns that as “president” he does not get to dictate policy!

61 Likes

The Washington Examiner had an interesting piece about this:

At the same time, however, as described by McClatchy, no rules would prevent Trump from entering the House chamber, or speaking on the House floor, whenever he wants. So he’s perfectly within his powers to show up and deliver his speech.

That said, Pelosi, D-Calif., has other tools at her disposal to thwart Trump. She could shut off the lights, turn off the microphones, and also make sure that no cameras are allowed because the House won’t be in session.

Both parties have done this to each other in the past.

In 2008, during her first term as speaker, Pelosi adjourned without allowing a vote Republicans wanted related to offshore drilling, shut off the lights, and cut off the microphones to block Republicans from complaining about it. Republicans refused to leave the floor and kept on talking anyway.

In 2016, Pelosi was on the opposite side of this sort of situation, when she joined Democrats in staging a sit-in after the Republican majority blocked gun control votes. Democrats remained on the floor in the dark after the House was put in recess and used social media to broadcast video from the protest.

30 Likes

KA-BOOM

13 Likes

Finally, a solution to the national nightmare: Pelosi has Trump arrested for trespassing and hopefully arranges a prompt rendition to Russia.

23 Likes

Pelosi is missing a grand opportunity here. Denying him has the potential to martyr him further among his base. The better play is instead to stuff the gallery – and the seat on the floor of every Democrat – with furloughed federal workers, and let them then heckle the shit out of him.

17 Likes

My guess is that she set him up…

Jan 1: Tell him that it is not a good idea

Jan 23: he responds saying he is coming anyway

Jan 23: She says… No you are not.

He has no way to overcome her objection and he just looks stupid

22 Likes

probably a bad tactical move IMHO. It would have been better if she said nothing, and just not pass the necessary House resolution for a joint session…and locked the doors and shut off the lights on Jan 28th.

2 Likes

For those outside the Beltway, here is a helpful reading of Speaker Pelosi’s response to Trump, as run through a legalese-to-English translator:

50 Likes

Saw that one coming.

2 Likes

Will there be an uncomfortable standoff at the door of the HOR? Will Trump and the secret service face off against the Sergeant at Arms in a battle to crash the State of the Union? Stay tuned for the next episode of As the White House Turns to find out.

11 Likes

woo hoo! Comments open. Not trying to take credit or anything,but I did respond to the email I just got from Josh about the new commercial free service with a “fix the comments” email. :smile:

15 Likes

In the movie-perfect version of how things should play out, Pelosi should have the chambers surrounded by a couple hundred of the people working without a paycheck thanks to Trump’s bullshit, and even more in the chambers. Trump said they support his actions - let him try giving his speech in front of them and hear their expressions of gratitude.

11 Likes

Can’t Pelosi lock the doors to the house chamber?

If that doesn’t work, and trump wants to give his speech in the dark without TV cameras, she should schedule to have the carpeting vaccuumed and shampooed that night! :grinning:

11 Likes

Doubt it. Dump is too much of a coward for direct confrontation.

6 Likes

Expect this state of play or its equivalent for the next two years. NOTHING will get done. We will be more vulnerable - in every sense of the word - than ever. Thank you fucking cretinous GOP members and voters. It’s ALL on your head.

8 Likes

SOTU?
NOPE
GTFO

35 Likes

No reason to heckle- won’t look good on TV. Trump can get his speech when the government pays their workers again. This is nuts- after one month of work employees are not getting paid.

9 Likes

The thing is - and she knows exactly what she’s doing - she isn’t “denying” him a chance to deliver it in the House chambers; she’s just delaying it. She’s not being unreasonable. Just practical. Not until you agree to re-open the government, you juvenile, orange shitgibbon.

44 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available