Discussion: Pelosi Scrambles To Put Out Fires As Her Infuriated Members Call For Impeachment

Pelosi won’t even schedule a House vote on the Contempt Motion voted out of the Judiciary Committee.

She and Nadler are doing everything they can to slow-walk the investigations. Her excuses not to impeach are all total nonsense:

“not worth it”
“too divisive”
“not bipartisan”
“too good for him”
“easy way out”
“he’s goading us”
“self-impeachable”

4 Likes

I don’t think that is unlikely at all. But that would be Senior goooper visiting the WH with the bad news time.

OTOH, I know you remember that there was much talk of Nixon defying the SC and calling out troops etc. People spoke of it the same way they are now.

6 Likes

I think these stories from anonymous sources are produced by their PR teams. Maybe they sensed some displeasure at that story and published this one? I always take such stories with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Without impeachment, Trump is far more likely to win again. His criminality needs to become as much topic of private discussion between Americans as Clinton’s sexuality was. And the complicity of the Republican Party needs to be brought front and center. Only impeachment can get us there. Only impeachment trusts the wisdom of the American people, when they are finally forced to confront the evidence and discuss the reality of our situation.

Pelosi makes us all look weak, ineffective, losers. Voters don’t and shouldn’t support that. Even in this.

3 Likes

as satisfying as that sounds, its a bad strategy. It completely lacks focus, and provides ample opportunities for Trump victories in courts, and with public opinion.

I would suggest a surgical strike instead. Go after Don McGahn. He is a private citizen who was subpoenaed by Congress who is refusing to show up to testify — including testifying on questions in which no “priviliege” can possibly apply (i.e. stuff that happened after McGahn had left the white house).

Cite him for contempt – and immediately send out the sargeant at arms to detain him. If he files a writ of habeas corpus, tell the courts that not only has McGahn not responded to a subpoena, he is doing so as part of a concerted bad faith effort on the part of the white house to interfere in Congressional perogatives.

Then say that Congress intends to use its inherent powers to detain McGahn until he testifies fully regarding White House efforts to impede the Mueller investigation because executive privilege does not include covering up evidence of a crime. And that if McGahn wishes to challenge that assertion, he must do so from Congressional jail, because he has alrfeady demonstrated that he will not even bother to show up when congress issues a valid subpoena.

7 Likes

is there such a thing?

IIRC that was shown to be nonexistent.

2 Likes

Has someone told Pelosi, it’s difficult investigating when documents and testimony are being held back?

2 Likes

Republicans resisted back then as well. What made the difference were the hearings. While Nixon had lost some support prior to them, the hearings really made the difference bringing his support down into the mid 20’s. That is why they are resisting hearings.

12 Likes

And after Madam Speaker holds her fire until gun is berween the whites of both their eyes Notorious AOC will be on all the shows and under the white hot light of the national media manifest like Oppenheimer’s Lord Vishnu to DESTROY all these deplorables and their WORLD

3 Likes

Here’s my concern. And to be fair - I think like most posters here - I REALLY REALLY WANT Trump gone. I hope to the flying spaghetti monster that my fears of ‘slow walking’ and ‘stalling’ are unfounded, and that Pelosi has some sort of 27 dimensional chess strategy in mind.

But…

I really think time is NOT on our side. And here’s where I’m bumping heads with some of the other posters.

“Patience grasshopper - these things take time. The legal machinery grinds slowly but it grinds exceedingly fine…” - As I mentioned - I’m married to an attorney (she’s really really smart) and I’ve BEEN involved in legal battles and yes - they take a long long long long time. Don’t get involved in one if you’re in a hurry. That’s a given. I understand that.

But I also understand that we are in completely new - unprecedented territory. The old strategies and rules are literally being ignored and tossed out by ‘the other side’. Insisting we play by them - is playing their game.

I’ve posted before what I want. “Move fast - break things”. Agile development. If you need more trite sayings “Outside the box” thinking. We need to CREATE NEW REALITIES that they adjust to and study, judiciously - while we create new realities.

Because THAT’S what controls the narrative. And he who controls the narrative - will influence the vote. “If you’re busy explaining - you’re losing.” And we all know that the Dem’s messaging tends to get very … ‘granular’. We take pride in the fact that it won’t fit on a bumper sticker. But that’s not necessarily a good thing. We can BE detail oriented/13 level chess - but we have to get out ahead and put them on their heels - explaining.

I see… some… of this happening. And I’m encouraged.

I’m afraid that we will ‘slow roll’ to the point (Late this year? Early next?) When the R’s will simply say “You can’t hold these hearings/investigations NOW… Because it’s too close to an election.” - And God knows that excuse has worked before.

The clock IS ticking. I’m afraid the alarm is set to go off sooner - rather than as late as Pelosi thinks.

God I hope I’m wrong.

3 Likes

Trump would call up CBP, doubt the regular military would go along, but those dudes most certainly would.

Good example. That’s what I’m talking about.

2 Likes

When Michael Corleone sends his adopted brother, Tom Hagan, to Vegas, in part because he needed a wartime consigliere, he realized that the demands of war required a different skill set. Same applied to Pelosi.

In peacetime, she would be a fine leader of the house. In these dank, dire, dangerous times, Pelosi simply does not cut it. We outsiders recognize that Trump has declared war on America. I only wish Pelosi does, too. Her many statements prove she does not get it.

3 Likes

No fun not dreaming about doomsday! Reality will be much more boring. Still hoping for a daring flight to exile in Moscow to at least spice it up.

3 Likes

Nancy’s DC Country Club attitude in this matter will destroy our election chances in 2020. Someone needs to talk some sense into her.

2 Likes

And what’s the least bad explanation you’ve seen?

1 Like

Pelosi et al. can make use of DC jails if they have to.

3 Likes

a question for the lawyers out there…

can Garland pocket the request for an appeal for eight days? I.e. Mazars has to comply in a week – can Garland just not decide on the request until after that date?

And if so, can Trump appeal to the Supreme Court if the Appeals court request is still pending?

Ugh I was confusing them with Chicolini…

5 Likes

Nixon did not have a cult following comprising about 40% of the electorate. Trump is every bit the cult leader Jim Jones was, and people drank poisoned Kool-aid on Jones’ instructions. Attempting to find analogous historical circumstances when you’re dealing with the level of fanatical support Trump has in some corners is problematic. There are large numbers of people that would lay down and die for him in the face of the most heinous, grievous revelations of his acts and deeds. He can literally do no wrong for tens of millions of voters. I have watched tearful farmers in the throes of bankruptcy, due to Trump policies, say Trump knows best and feel what they’re enduring is for the long term good of the nation. I won’t be looking to the Nixon-Watergate era for guidance on what to expect in the next few months.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available