Discussion: Pelosi Scrambles To Put Out Fires As Her Infuriated Members Call For Impeachment

1 Like

ā€œTime is on our sideā€ - Pelosi.

ā€œTime is on OUR sideā€ - Trump.

Only one of them is right.

4 Likes

Upholding the rule of law is now starting a fire. Interesting.

12 Likes

And, if so, the question becomes: whoā€™s smarter versus whoā€™s dumber?

My money is still on Madam Speaker.

25 Likes

This is the 3rd or 4th version of this story Iā€™ve seen, but it has a little twist in it Iā€™d like to point out.

The idea of ā€œshould Elijah Cummings go home?ā€

It means that this may be a jurisdictional dispute between the House Oversight Committee and the House Judiciary Committee. Those who support impeachment should remember that some of their favorite members, like the notorious AOC, sit on Oversight, while Judiciary has no star power.

Televised hearings on Oversight may do more to take down Trump right now than televised hearings on Judiciary.

Just a thought.

18 Likes

We understand why youā€™re waiting, but itā€™s so frustrating.

In a steering committee meeting the same day, Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) (of fried chicken fame) also called to start the ball rolling, saying that former President Bill Clinton was impeached ā€œfor sexā€ while Trump is ā€œraping the country.ā€

This brings it into perspective and shows just how ridiculous it all is.

13 Likes

Iā€™d be inclined to believe you - if the Dems, including Obama - hadnā€™t assumed exactly the same thing. ā€œHeā€™ll never win - we got this in the bag - no need to rock the boat.ā€ - Not a winning strategy.

But again - IF in fact both the Dā€™s and the Rā€™s are stalling for time - stringing the whole thing out until the ā€˜fair and unbalanced and uninfluenced vote of the populaceā€™ makes itā€™s decision. Well - who knows how the electoral college and the Supreme Court will weigh in on the vote?

And youā€™re right - Pelosi is smarter than Trump. But is it really ā€œTrumpā€ weā€™re dealing with? And not the McConnell mafia?

11 Likes

Iā€™m With Her.

2 Likes

I supported Speaker Pelosiā€™s slow approach, but If Trump and his henchman Barr keep flouting subpoenas and violating the law, the House has no choice to start impeachment proceedings. Get the witnesses in and testifying. Let the hearings run for months. The news every day should focus on Trumpā€™s criminality. Donā€™t let them get a break.

Just do it.

18 Likes

I donā€™t believe this is what is happening: Rā€™s yes, Dā€™s no.

Weā€™re only going to get to swing the impeachment hammer one time. Too soon, or one D defection, or stalled in the Senate (which that scumbag McConnell can absolutely manage), and weā€™re hosed.

Iā€™m with Her.

1 Like

She and her allies countered, saying that beginning impeachment proceedings would, for all intents and purposes, shut down the investigations into President Donald Trump being headed by other committees.
ā€œYou want to tell Elijah Cummings to go home?ā€ she asked, referring to the House Oversight Committee chairman.

well, this is annoying.

Yes Ms Pelosi. I want you to stop putting the petty turf concerns of standing committee chairs above the well being of the rest of the country.

Maybe you should consider the advantages of centralizing the impeachment investigations ā€” like being able to better control the process. Or isolating ā€œimpeachmentā€ from the rest of the Democratic party agenda.

Maybe you should even consider forming a select committee ā€“ so that Jerry Nadler and the judiciary committee can concentrate on the crucial issues of voting rights violations and stave off the absurd ā€œinvesigations of the investigatorsā€

Because NOBODY is going to hear about anything BUT impeachment until you get this thing under control
/rant off

was anyone else temporarily confused about Rep Cicellini and White House Counsel Cicelloni?

8 Likes

Okay - you believe she WILL begin impeachment proceedings before the election? Or you believe itā€™s imperative to wait until a majority of Senate Republicanā€™s come to her in private and say ā€œPlease impeach him? Weā€™re with you?ā€

What do you see as her endgame? Impeachment - or ā€˜slime them till the electionsā€™?

4 Likes

a thought breezed through my noggin this morning on this topicā€¦sort of.

I think what weā€™re seeing is the Republicans getting their chance to replay Watergate. Their thinking must be ā€œif we had just stuck together we could have shut that bullshit down.ā€ So now theyā€™re all totally in bunker mode and even if one of their own speaks up theyā€™re immediately cast aside as in this morning the Freedumb Caucus threw Amash overboard.

Iā€™m going with impeachment, after all the i dottings and t crossings.

13 Likes

As a Democrat, and a progressive liberal at that, I offer this with only some amount of pride, that being that one of the most obvious differences between Democratic leadership and Republican leadership is that Republicans maintain an extremely tight leash over everyone who manages to steal an election from the voters. Elected Republicans dare not question their superiors in the Party. Democrats are prone to think for themselves. That makes Nancy Pelosi 100X the leader that Mitch McConnell could ever hope to be.

That said, Nancy, either either give us impeachment or a valid reason why not. Simply saying that Republicans will never go along is too obvious, and itā€™s really, really wearing thin.

11 Likes

Itā€™s an admission of weakness. ā€œWe canā€™t do it without the Rā€™s backing us publicly. And we all know theyā€™re not going to do that.ā€ - Which is a back handed way of saying ā€œKeep it up Rā€™s - your strategy is effectiveā€.

12 Likes

Is Pelosi smarter than trump? of course, but that isnā€™t the question.

The question is whether Pelosiā€™s priorities are in order. This article suggests that they are not ā€“ that she cares more about keeping Elijah Cummings happy than she is about Trumps betrayal of America.

ā€¦and she seems to think that yesterdayā€™s court ā€œwinā€ was significant. It was a great morale booster, but substantively, it was extremely minor ā€” we have no idea how long the appeals process is going to take, and even AFTER we get the documents, it will take a while for them to be analyzed, and they are unlikely to do more than incrementally increase our understanding.

So yeah, if they were on Jeopardy, Pelosi would kick Trumpā€™s butt. Sheā€™d probably beat him at poker too. But that doesnā€™t mean sheā€™s doing the right thing.

6 Likes

I think that John Boehner and Paul Ryan (and probably McCarthy now) would vehemently disagree with you.

1 Like

ā€œā€¦and once that happens, once Trump defies a Federal Judgeā€™s ruling (which I expect to happen 100%), well the pressure to impeach wonā€™t be on the Democrats. Itā€™ll be on the Republicansā€

See - the problem with this logic - is it assumes good will, solid legal precedent and an impartial judiciary when it all makes its way to the Supreme Court.

(Which I expect to happen 100%)

And I donā€™t have faith in our Supreme Court to be fair, and impartial and ā€˜non-partisanā€™. Not since the 2000 elections.

And just like Malcom - Iā€™m not a lawyer. But I am married to one. So - maybe that makes my assumptions as credible as his.

5 Likes

which is why I think there should be a select committee. Tell the standing committee chairs to concentrate on making america better in their areas of expertise through legislation. And then put the best former prosecutors in Congress all on the ā€œimpeachment committeeā€, and let them hold public hearings every Thursday and Friday

7 Likes

Nancy Pelosi is utterly unsuited to be the House Speaker at this point in history. She cannot deliver what the times demand.

She is failing the country and the Democratic Party.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available