Discussion: Pelosi 'Leaning Toward' Full Participation In New Benghazi Probe

Discussion for article #223010

Big mistake. Participation just gives this issue legitimacy. This is the ‘swift boating’ of Hillary - how can they not see this.

Right now, no one gives a hoot about Benghazi - it’s viewed as a purely political issue by anyone who’s aware of what’s going on. This is a play for the votes of the less aware. The Dems should be mocking the right on this issue, not participating.

3 Likes

I’m sure Sen Bernie Sanders has more important things to do, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Bernie on the on the panel, along with Alan Grayson.

2 Likes

Like I said before, Democrats will cave to the whims of this Republican witch hunt. I will be quite curious to see who Pelosi eventually appoints to this so-called committee? I would love to see those Democrats be “pitbulls” who won’t let Republicans get away with the nonsense they no doubt will try to get away with. Democrats who can check these Republicans and call them out on this Republican political stunt!! Now, just who are these Democrats that can do that?!

1 Like

If she is going to do it go after them, counter them at every turn. The last thing that needs to happen is just sit and there and let them legitimize their crazy in the head claims.

1 Like

It’s a House panel so while Bernie’s participation might liven things up, he’s a Senator. I do have two words for Nancy though: Waxman and Grayson.

3 Likes

This kind of shreds my remaining respect for her. Because of her, we couldn’t investigate wrong doing in the Bush administration, and now because of her we will legitimize this Republican witch hunt.

And, I’ll never forget it was Hoyer and Pelosi who, against all reason, said Chained CPI was not a cut to Social Security.

Hoyer will be unopposed in the Maryland primary in June. I guess that’s why he can have open contempt for what his constituents might think. I guess Pelosi is similarly “safe”.

1 Like

But who will man the VA investigatory committee?!! (Actually, I’m surprised the R’s haven’t created that Select Committee yet.)

1 Like

Rs are entitled to their opinion but not their own set of facts which is the basis of this show. Putting savvy Democrats on this bullshit panel who can mock while participating is the way to go, and Henry Waxman is one who comes to mind.

5 Likes

Oh they DO see it. In fact, that’s why they’re going along with this charade. They think that their participation will protect their front runner candidate. Personally, I think it’s a mistake. The RWNM will be in ful force to their base no matter what. No matter how loud the Dems scream, the GOP can scream even louder. Taking on the crazies is just a bad idea because you can never “argue” or “negotiate” with a person who is certifiably insane.

3 Likes

Completely disagree. Refusing to participate would allow Republicans to manufacture evidence, leak “evidence” and partial testimony, and create some sort of bogus smoking gun.

Secondly, sitting out the hearings, would allow the GOP on the committee to absolutely relentlessly pummel those testifying to the point that they’d undoubtedly produce sound bytes that make it sound as though someone said something they absolutely didn’t. Picture hours and hours of HRC being raked over the coals for hours and hours. Democrats on the committee would give her an opportunity to finish a point or clarify one before Republicans can seize on it.

Third, I have no confidence in the media at all. I do not believe they’d bother reporting why there are no Democrats on the committee. I also have no confidence the media wouldn’t run with some faux new “revelation” and report it breathlessly. When it’s later revealed the committee members were lying, the media probably wouldn’t bother to give it more than ten seconds of reporting.

5 Likes

Just what the Republicans want: Democrats talking about Benghazi
for 6 months. Its very hard for these Democratic pros to Think outside of the box anymore.

As usual you get it. It’s an opportunity for Democrats to expose the falsehoods and bullshit talking points driving Benghazi. I see the perfect opportunity to expose their lies and bring out some truth. Several “likes.”

4 Likes

If the talk for the next six months is about Benghazi there will be very little or perhaps none in the runup to the 2016 elections. The public will say been there, done that, if the Rs try to reintroduce it.

2 Likes

Democrats and progressives really need to stop overestimating the intelligence of the American people. The vast majority are fucking morons, stunningly stupid. Republicans get that, their problem is only that they overestimate the stupidity of the American people.
I say that because this idea that Democrats could sit out the committee and make some high-minded argument from the sidelines just isn’t at all credible to me. It’s not how the media works, it’s not how the American people operate. The Democrats would simply be tuned out, drowned out for the shitshow going on in the hearings.
Worse than that, sitting out the committee is based on both the American people and the MSM understanding that Democrats aren’t sitting out because they’re scared or because they’re trying to run from the issue but because they’re refusing to legitimize the committee. Right, most Americans can’t even spell “legitimate”, let alone comprehend the concept.

7 Likes

I don’t see it as giving legitimacy to the process. I see it as refusing to give the Rs the entire stage and allowing them to go unchallenged on it.

6 Likes

Pelosi is my representative is the House and she gets reelected to her safe seat because she knows what she’s doing without showing her hand to those she working to corral.

5 Likes

As long as they play brass knuckle politics, Democrats should dive right in. Limit the sanctimony. Republicans don’t give a shit about the victims, so don’t help them pretend they do. Shine a spotlight on Gowdy. Put him on trial.

Elijah Cummings was too classy. We don’t need that now. We don’t care if the media calls this thing a circus. It wasn’t our idea.

Perhaps but one thing is for sure, Republicans hope Benghazi will push obamacare off the table for 2014. Its called “help us change the subject and link ‘Obama hate’ to your 2014 democratic congressional candidate”. Check out Mitch’s strategy against Grimes:In six months he will have her and the president practically in bed together while pretending that Obamacare never happened in KY.

Jesus fuck lady…no no no no no NO. I’m so fucking sick of the spinelessness.

2 Likes