Discussion: Pelosi After Dem Meeting: We Believe That Trump ‘Is Engaged In A Cover-Up’

That’s not a comb over— it’s a dead ferret.

8 Likes

A cover-up of what? That’s kind of important, because if she’s going to pull the trigger on impeachment, it has to be something clear and direct that can be sold to the public at large.

A “process crime” like obstruction of justice or a campaign finance law violation isn’t enough. There has to be some red meat on those bones the House is digging for, or this is a waste of time. Maybe she’s hinting at new information from Deutsche Bank, or something the NY AG has dug up? I sure hope so.

10 Likes

Engaged in a cover-up ------ could have told you that years ago .

3 Likes

It’s a hell of a lot more effective sound-bite and chyron-word than “impeachment.”

Also has the merit of being much less debatable.

It’s a good word and Donald is gonna 'splode from the Golden Tweet-Shitter tomorrow AM.

22 Likes

Nicely put. Here’s hoping.

6 Likes

So far, Pelosi has skillfully tempered her members’ frustration and desire to begin impeachment proceedings
(emphasis added)

Is this reporting or editorializing?

2 Likes

Some effective historical echoes too.

28 Likes

“we believe that the President of the United States is engaged in a cover-up.”

That’s it? Forget impeachment for five minutes. Pelosi is just terrible at communicating to the American voter where Democrats stand on impeachment, the reasons for it, the threat to democracy, our way of life, and the ‘no person is above the law’ zinger that usually gets everyone’s attention. She simply cannot tell a story. I watched her interview with doorrmat Mika on Slow Joe the other day. She was all over the place. Why she can’t delegate this important task is hard to figure.

5 Likes

Fuckin’ A right.

8 Likes

Yep, it’s a bigger deal than it might appear to some.
@dr_coyote is right.

14 Likes

These are very carefully chosen words. She is definitely building up to it and by next week, we will be there, I predict. Although many appreciate her caution, in the end it won’t matter. They’ll be screeching from the rooftops just from this, I suspect.

9 Likes

If she delegates them she looses control, loss of control means she can’t slow-mo this thing until late, very late 2020.

1 Like

33 Likes

Well, it’s like calling a claim a “lie” instead of “baseless.” Strictly speaking you’re making a judgment, but up to a point your judgment can be so near to obviously correct that it can stand as a near-indisputable fact.

6 Likes

Try this instead:

Pelosi, meanwhile, is just trying to turn down the heat until the Memorial Day recess when she can spring her members free to their home states where tempers can cool and stress can dissipate.

She’s reportedly hoping that the longer any talk of impeachment is delayed, the less acute the obsession will be as national attention shifts to ousting Trump via the ballot box in 2020.

1 Like

As I’m sure you know, there were lots of headlines with the word “impeachment” in them as well.

1 Like

So, I’m wondering if this is related to the other TPM headline today: “Tillerson Spilled To House Committee About Trump And Russia.” She sounds more sure of herself than previously, so maybe there’s something new and actionable in what Tillerson told them.

5 Likes

But they’re just going to keep stonewalling, so it’s moot. She wants to be seen as reluctantly and reasonably, and with considerable forethought, undertaking impeachment. She won’t be, thanks to the “liberal” media, but, at least the case can be made that it was carefully considered.

4 Likes

“Cover up.”

Kind of an effective, simple, repeatable, and memorable catch-all for all the obstruction, lies, refusals to allow testimony, non-production of documents, orders to not comply with subpoenas, withholding tax returns, etc., etc.

Cover up. Congress must investigate the president’s cover up. And impeach him for all he’s covering up. And uncover it for the American people.

13 Likes

Which came first?

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available