Discussion: Oregon Calls In Out-Of-State Help To Round Up Rogue Republicans

You know, when the Democrats did this in Wisconsin to protest then Gov. Snotty Walker’s (eventually successful) moves to gut Union rights in the state, everybody cheered.

Now?

Just say’in.

12 Likes

Round up their families and put them in migrant detention centers, that should bring them out of the woodwork pretty quick.

6 Likes

Lose their kids too…

Or would that be too cruel?

3 Likes

Deport them to Guatemala as undocumented.

Your OneWordAnswer™: No.

3 Likes

Texas Democrats did this a number of years back in 2003 over redistricting and the usual suspects either cheered or jeered. I think using law enforcement for political reasons is a bad idea in general.

6 Likes

Did any of those lawmakers make threats like this?

Sen. Brian Boquist, one of Baertschiger’s colleagues, sent a warning to any search party that might come looking for him.

“Send bachelors and come heavily armed,” Boquist said he told the superintendent of the state police. “I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gop-lawmakers-skipped-town-to-avoid-a-climate-change-vote-then-the-governor-called-the-police/2019/06/21/52e21b42-93bc-11e9-b570-6416efdc0803_story.html?utm_term=.0f1a13a6f4dd&wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

8 Likes

Oh, goody! That sounds like a threat.

For their own safety, when the officers locate the lawmakers, they should probably set themselves up a ways clear of the building, and just call in airstrikes.

6 Likes

Oregon Calls In Out-Of-State Help To Round Up Rogue Republicans

Now, that’s a headline I can get behind … in any state … on any issue!

3 Likes

How do you herd snakes?

6 Likes

Screw the $500 a day…take away their salaries. Don’t do the JOB, don’t get paid…just like NORMAL people.

3 Likes

Give their pictures to all the game wardens. I think they are all out fishing.

1 Like

The Constitution of the United States of America, Article II Section 5 says (in part, emphasis added):

Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members,and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.

The Constitution of the State of Oregon, Article IV, Section 12 says (in part, emphasis added):

Two thirds of each house shall constitute a quorum to do business, but a smaller number may meet; adjourn from day to day, and compel the attendance of absent members.

The language is pretty much parallel (as it often is: the idea of the various states being laboratories of democracy is really pretty absurd). So, Senator Boquist, I’d say that once you took the oath of office as a Senator of the State of Oregon, you agreed to be a political prisoner of the state. You really ought read the Constitution before you take the oath.

13 Likes

““they are honor-bound””

There is the problem… expecting republicans to be bound by honor.

4 Likes

That’s why I’m staying out of this one. I didn’t know about Wisconsin but I do remember the situation in Texas in 2003 when Tom Delay wanted to redistrict D’s out of their seats and the D’s fled to OK to avoid a quorum.

Its like a childish game of Hide & Seek.

“Come out, come out, wherever you are”.

To the extent that there is a difference in the situations, it’s a difference in the kind of actions the Republican Legislature is taking. In this case, the Oregon legislature is voting on pretty run-of-the-mill statutory matters. I don’t mean to minimize the impact, but the bills address Oregon statutes.

By comparison, the Texas and Wisconsin legislatures were taking actions that attack the political system. Redistricting outside a Census reapportionment was unheard of at the time, and it was done to further gerrymander an already gerrymandered map. Wisconsin toppled decades of labor law, which directly impacted one political party negatively, and the other party (the one implementing the change) positively.

Attacks on the body politic are qualitatively different from tinkering with statutory law, even making major alterations to statutory law.

With all that said, I still have a problem with legislators absenting themselves to prevent votes.

10 Likes

I agree completely!.. but as l searched for the date of the redistricting walkout I found even more examples of this behavior. As a battle-hardened Twitter user my threshold for arguing nuance has raised significantly.

1 Like

Yes. Also, IIRC, Democratic legislators here in Oregon have done this themselves. Sigh.

I’d separate their kids out, too, just to be on the safe side.

1 Like