Discussion: Omar Accuses Trump Of Endangering Her Life After 9/11 Video

I’m all for firebrand Dems causing a few ripples in the pond. And anything that gets under the skin of GOPers is welcome. But many would agree Omar could choose her words more carefully, not so much to be PC or “civil”, but more so to limit the openings her various remarks provide to Trump and others to twist what she’s said and paint her in a bad light. Most of what she’s tried to communicate was worth getting out there, but a more careful and nuanced expression of it all would certainly have gone a long way in muting and limiting the response of her detractors.

Saying “something happened” on 9/11 was just asking for it, regardless the context she intended. She served up a slow ball, right over the plate. Republicans were going to knock that out of the park, every day of the week.

4 Likes

That is exactly what Trump desires - he has been working on the inflamatory rhetorical formula to weaponize the lunatic right portion of his base - trying to find that combination of hate speech and stupidity that will bring the simmering hostility to an over flowing raging boil.

2 Likes

“Certainly the president is wishing no ill will and certainly not violence towards anyone…", Sanders said.

Really? His tweet says differently.

8 Likes

Trump will wear this accusation as a badge of honor and his supporters will eat it up.

1 Like

“Certainly the president is wishing no ill will and certainly not violence towards anyone, but the president is absolutely and should be calling out the congresswoman for her — not only one time — but history of anti-Semitic comments,” Sanders said."

The bigger question is why aren’t Democrats doing the same thing? It’s absolutely abhorrent the comments that she continues to make and has made and they look the other way."

5 Likes

I think … I think that … er … There’s no doubt about the seriousness of the problem we’re … we’ve got. We have a cancer [we call the President], that’s growing. It’s growing daily. It’s compounding, it grows geometrically now, because it compounds itself.

2 Likes

“Certainly the president is wishing no ill will and certainly not violence towards anyone, but the president is absolutely and should be calling out the congresswoman for her — not only one time — but history of anti-Semitic comments,” Sanders said.

Yes, the tweet with the video and the president’s own caption, “WE WILL NEVER FORGET,” suggests something more along the lines of, “Let’s have a calm, reasoned, insightful, factual, productive conversation about these issues, and try to make smart decisions and reach inclusive consensus to help the nation rid itself of racism and bigotry and come together as a unified melting pot of diverse people and ideas.”

Did no one else get that message from the tweet?

4 Likes

Fascism 101, incite violence then deny you did it, lie about the consequences, lie about your aims, blame any consequences on your opponents, target a small, identifiable part of the population, and blame your problems on them.

This has pretty much all of it.

14 Likes

That’s not what happened.

1. The remarks were taken out of context.
  2. The right ginned up outrage only this up this week. It was an op.

The speech had drawn a protest outside and even news coverage from conservative-leaning outlets such as the Washington Times, which noted that she told fellow Muslims to “raise hell” and “make people uncomfortable” as they seek to defend their rights.

But this week, conservatives began to fixate on the four words she used to refer to 9/11: “Some people did something.”

Silencing ourselves because “Daddy” might get mad is dysfunctional and is the purpose.

The right demonized Hillary for decades. Then Pelosi. Now AOC and Omar are the targets.

Always women who won’t STFU.

Rather than criticizing Omar I think we should be calling out Trump and GOP for being ok with #StochasticTerrorism against a MoC. “Who will rid me of this meddlesome MoC?”

WaPo: President Trump targets Rep. Ilhan Omar with a video of twin towers burning

13 Likes

Context is but one concern when a politician speaks.

Your wife asks you how she looks in a new pair of jeans. You can reply:

“They make you look fat.”…or

“I think I see a pair on a rack over there that is more your style.”

The first remark, while possibly accurate, is a stupid way to reply. Why would you do it? What possessed you to choose the inflammatory response? You considered the entire array of possible replies and “Yes, they make you look fat” was where you landed?

Sure, context matters. But in politics you must keep in mind how your words will be used against you. You don’t have to change your message, or your policies your messages advocate. But speaking to your opposition, and trying to influence them, is even more important than lobbying those in your camp. You’ve mostly won over your camp, or at least have them on your side. It’s your opposition you must court to affect change. And indelicate, ill-considered, imprecise speech provides fodder to the leaders of your opposition to kill your efforts with them in the crib.

3 Likes

She could have easily said “Then the attacks happened” and none of this would be news right now. This is the third time she’s said something that needed “clarification”. She’s not sitting in her living room shooting the sht with her friends anymore, she’s one of the new faces of the Dem party and she needs to think this stuff through.
The response from the right has been despicable, but it shouldn’t be surprising. She needs to fire her writers, and if she’s just making this stuff up on her own she needs to hire someone to bounce it off of first. There are better ways to say what you want to say without starting an unnecessary sh
tshow. AOC is controversial on a daily basis, but she measures her words and the controversy is always on the ideas, which is a battle we can win, rather than on the language. These are rookie mistakes, but I’m not certain she’s learning from the experience, truth be told that was a pretty dismissive remark that anyone could have seen was going to start trouble for us.

1 Like

Nancy, it’s time. Impeach!

2 Likes

What SHS seems to be messaging is that Omar should never ever be allowed to talk. What she is telling us is not what the Republicans want to happen in the Palestine/Israel conflict. And it’s funny how Omar needs to be punished for what she says but the President’s comments are jokes, you didn’t hear what he really said, or that KAC will create more mishmosh out of his words with a pleasant smirk upon her face.

9 Likes

This blame the victim shit has got to stop. None of the fake outrage generated by the right is justified. NONE OF IT and it never is. Democrats need to pull their heads out and realize that this is all about de-legitimatizing a/my Muslim Representative, about demonizing Muslims in general and weakening the Democratic party as a whole. Wake the fuck up.

8 Likes

Precisely. Non-white, non-christian women in Congress are driving the Pumpkin Traitor and the deplorables in and out of Congress completely insane. We need to defend Omar and everyone who is challenging the growing repug fascism. The only response to these lying attacks is:

“What she said!”

6 Likes

You’re playing right into the Republican’s hands here.

If Omar said, “I am against the two-state solution, there should be no Palestine, ever,”

The republicans would mash up a video of her saying, “I am against the two-state solution, there should be no Palestine, ever

…And Dems would fall over themselves to criticize her rather than the people taking her words out of context.

7 Likes

[quote=“mjv135, post:12, topic:86810”]
going to start trouble for us.
[/quote] OMG,this one remark encapsulates all the wrong with the Democratic party today, we live in fear that Republicans are going to say bad things about us. I find it disheartening that at this stage of the game so many in the party still haven’t realized Republicans are bullies and they are going to attack Democrats NO MATTER WHAT, its just their nature and until we start fighting back this bullshit will continue. Ihan Omar, gets it, and regardless of the very real threats on her life she is fighting back, we should be standing behind her 100%. But no, we are clutching our pearls and wringing our hands because she “started trouble for us.” How sickening is that?

2 Likes

You tell me, what is getting talked about most, Omar’s policy desires and her concerns about discrimination and mistreatment of Muslims, or the way she chose to frame them? I’d posit the latter. And that goes even for those in her party, all dragged there in having to defend not what she said, but how she said it. Certainly she could have constructed her presentation such that we bypassed and avoided the controversy and proceeded directly to the heart of what she was addressing, albeit with inevitable quibbling over her words from the right. But the smaller the window for twisting our words the better. There are ways to speak that do not constitute buckling to the right’s inane insistence on hewing to their demands.

2 Likes
2 Likes