Discussion: Oklahoma Frat Member: I'm 'Deeply Sorry' For Singing Racist Chant

Discussion for article #234177

I will not impugn the motives of the student, and, for the moment, assume that it is a heart-felt apology. However, I will only believe that conservatives actually give a crap about race when this same student shows up on Fox “News”.

5 Likes

He’s really deeply sorry for getting caught. Its easy to see from the video that this was hardly the first time it ocurred.

19 Likes

“The Petitts apologized for their son’s behavior but said they did not believe he was a racist.”

News flash. He’s a racist, and I have a strong suspicion he learned it from you.

Racists always seem to have trouble understanding what defines racism, don’t they? Or is it that racists are such chicken shits that they haven’t the courage to stand up for what they truly believe?

10 Likes

It’s doubtful that it was the first time. But that did seem like a genuine apology. And he is certainly suffering the consequences of his actions. It should be possible to forgive him at some point.

Especially reading the statements from the parents I find the whole thing very sad.

13 Likes

Those were apologies, not nopologies. I applaud them for that. It must have been hard to do. Everyone in that family has a lot of soul-searching to do.

18 Likes

ThinkProgress reported that this particular fraternity has a history of racist antics nationwide. Since then, Fiji has also been so exposed.

The apologies may have been hard, but changing their attitudes is going to be infinitely harder. If this is the catalyst for that, I likewise applaud them. But not yet.

4 Likes

¨Rice and Levi Petitt… are originally from the Dallas area, according to the newspaper.¨

I made a vow not to trash Texas based on the actions of a few of its prominent citizens, but man, sometimes it’s hard.

7 Likes

I’m not normally one to discount racist motivation - I think it runs deep in this country, much deeper than most people are comfortable in acknowledging - but in the case with these parents’ apologies, I’m not so quick to judge for some reason. This sounds to me like parents who tried raising their kid right but then lost him, as many parents do, when he fell under the spell of his peers, probably in high school and most certainly in this fraternity. I’ve always thought that even parents with the best intentions can be sidelined by one or two or, in this instance, an entire organization of bad apples.

On a different matter altogether, the university proved that this is how you handle a scandal of this nature: swiftly, certainly, decisively. Kudos to Boren and those in his administration who immediately recognized how disgusting the behavior was and instituted swift punishment. His fellow Democrats would do well to recognize that strong leadership, not spineless triangulation and face-saving moderation, is impressive.

17 Likes

No you’re not.

1 Like

How can you “not be racist” yet sing about lynching blacks with derision?

13 Likes

I applaud OU’s forceful response to this incident (which, as a Longhorn, is exceedingly difficult to say).
These sons of privilege, who, no doubt, were none too happy to go watch black students perform for their amusement on the gridiron every Saturday before returning to their segregated frat house for an evening of racist caroling and date raping, must truly be shocked at the justifiable outrage leveled at them–perhaps the first time anyone has challenged their worldview in any sort of meaningful way.
The real question is will this be a teachable moment for them or will it calcify their existing mindset and simply add a layer of lifelong resentment and rage to it?
Apologies are nice and all, but my guess is it will be the latter …

8 Likes

Somebody must have pointed out to him that there is a limited career path for professional racists. Outside of the Republican party, there just really isn’t much of a job market for these types.

7 Likes

I’m quite impressed with the apologies. They seem heartfelt.
I don’t know what goes into the minds of someone that would learn, recite and then perform a chant like that and it does make me wonder what other songs or racist behavior they (him and his frat) engage in. It really boggles my mind that someone could actually sing a song, with those hateful words and then smile and laugh with such glee. I am hoping it is some sort of way of acceptance or way to bond with other members so they go along(?). I say I hope because I don’t want to think people would find excluding someone based on their skin color fun and talk about hanging them from trees in such a nonchalant manner.

In any case, I do feel for the parents and this kid and hope they are able to move past this.
Many politicians can learn a thing or two from this incident and these people’s response…

2 Likes

I am deeply sorry I did not know it was being recorded! I didn’t think I’d be caught!

7 Likes

And just like that we focus on the “heartfelt apologies” of the student and his family. A few days ago, the Selma commemoration had been hijacked by outrage over the cropping of George and Laura from a NYT photograph. That’s how it goes.

2 Likes

They are both only apologizing because this video has come to light. They all seem to be pretty happy singing this song. I can’t believe things like this is still happening in 2015, and with college aged students no less.

My father told my brothers and me that an apology has three parts: (1) I’m sorry. (2) It was my fault. (3) How do I make it right?

“Sorry” frat boy is not enough. You really have to change.

10 Likes

I’m sure they’ve both already received multiple job offers from this…probably even some from the City of Ferguson…

Translation: "I’m sorry that I preface meaningless and insincere statements with ‘I’m sorry!’ "