Discussion: Ohio GOP Revives Abortion 'Heartbeat Bill' After Ex-Gov. Kasich Vetoed It Twice

Sherrod Brown is from Ohio. I’m sure he agrees with the majority of the citizens there (and across the country), rather than the Republicans in the state legislature.

I’m not religious either. Though the following is from a testimony of a Catholic couple who chose to terminate due to their baby’s heart condition being incompatible with life, and it very much affected me.

Our priest told us that he believed we were not choosing our son’s death, only choosing the timing of his death in order to spare him a great deal of suffering. Something he said that brought us great comfort was “God knows what is in your hearts.” God knows our choice was based on mercy and compassion. Who would better understand our hearts than God, who made the choice for His own Son to die?

4 Likes

One need hardly add that there will indeed be a court fight over this unconstitutional measure, and it will be costly to Ohio, the public, and the plaintiffs.

4 Likes

Wasn’t there just a heartbeat act struck down somewhere else? They keep popping up like roaches.

2 Likes

They just can’t let it go, and until the Supreme Court rules otherwise, all of these measures are doomed to be overturned or stopped by the courts. Of course, given the present makeup of SCOTUS, Roe v. Wade may well be superseded or overruled. We’ll see.

3 Likes

Life begins at 40.

1 Like

These fanatical right-to-lifers need to face a reality. If abortion is outlawed, women faced with unwanted pregnancies will still seek abortions. Some with the means to do so will travel to places where they can get a safe abortion, even if it means travel to another state of abroad. Others will seek competent abortions by sympathetic physicians, both of whom will risk criminal prosecution and the ruination of their, and their families lives. Finally, the more desperate, and typically impoverished or victimized, will seek an abortion from a back-room charlatan and as a result face life-threatening injury or die. In the worst case, the woman will give birth to an unwanted child for which she in incapable of providing care and who will subsequently be passed on to foster care, and very possibly, due to lack of support, become indigent and/or criminal, or die. The empirical evidence of these alternatives goes back more that a century. In virtually all of these cases, the consequences for the mother, the unborn child, the unwanted child, and/or the medical professional will be catastrophic.

The only moral alternative to this is to make abortion less and less an alternative to unwanted pregnancies by making meaningful sex-education, contraceptive instruction and contraceptive products freely available, including “morning after” contraception, and by continuing to make legal, and safe abortion available based upon the discretion of the mother in consultation with her physician, her conscience, and as appropriate her family and spiritual advisor.

The bottom line is that the government and religious zealots, who have no “skin” in the immediate and specific issues and situation of the individual woman, need to stay the hell out of this entire, and extraordinarily personal decision.

2 Likes

All women in Ohio give birth THEN give Mr DeWine the baby to bring up .

He’s been my go-to candidate for POTUS. Now I’m waiting for him to say something out loud and for public consumption about this travesty going down in the state he represents. I’m afraid he won’t and so will no longer be my go-to candidate for POTUS.

Anyway, this is unconstitutional on its face. They think the Supremes, now stacked with wingers, will back their play. I hope it doesn’t shake out like that. Scary times!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available