Discussion: Official: Vegas Hotel Didn't Notify Police Of Gunfire Indoors Until After Massacre

The hotel “didn’t notify police” that something like 200 bullets tore out of a guest’s door and hit one of their staff. Time to retire that stupid “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” saying.

4 Likes

That is troubling since the hotel security guard who got shot in the leg, and / or the hotel engineer in the hallway clearly identified on their radio(s) that the shooter was on the 32nd floor, a number of minutes before the shooter opened up on the crowd…

I thought I had heard that one way that the LV police actually figured out what floor the shooter was on was from the smoke detector in his room going off?

Sounds like the hotel screwed up, but I’m sure it was pure chaos at the time…

1 Like

I’m surprised that after firing 200 bullets the only injury was a leg wound to the unarmed hotel security guard. I wonder which of his many fire arms Paddock used to shoot up the hallway?

The thing I’m wondering, too, is what was the security guard checking out? Something must have been reported as being suspicious.

It wouldn’t be hard to believe that there were complaints from the room below if the shooter was moving around a bunch of heavy equipment. Or people on the 32nd floor hearing drilling, or the windows being broken out, or someone thinking the wires from the food cart to the door was strange. Maybe even hotel staff - that cart must have been ordered up. And what was the hotel engineer doing there?

Pretty clear to me that the Mandalay was at serious fault, if 200 unsilenced, supersonic (incredibly loud) 0.223 rounds were fired into the hallway, and nobody took any action! And it is clear the LV authorities are totally incompetent by screwing up the timeline so egregiously–like for days!

1 Like

Who owns the Mandalay Bay Resort? Sheldon Adelson, Trump?

Tell us, Joel, what you would have done (if you were in charge there that night) during those six minutes to prevent all those people from being killed.

“But Ron Hosko, a former FBI assistant director who has worked on SWAT teams, said the six minutes wouldn’t have been enough time for officers to stop the attack.”

Maybe not stop it all together, but reduce the number of dead and injured. Of course they wouldn’t have been able to marshal the SWAT team, but LV is crawling with cops, so it is conceivable that a couple of guys on patrol could have been at the room in ten minutes or less and, unless LV is different, they ride with at least a shotgun and most with an AR-15 or the like.

1 Like

He was checking out an alarm in a totally different room on that floor. The alarm sounded because of an issue with the door to the room. It was unrelated to the shooting.

Couple questions, Jeffrey:

You’re the responding uniform officers: Exactly how are you going to get from the elevator to the shooter’s room, which is at the end of a very long, very straight hallway.

Remember: The shooter has already fired a couple hundred rounds down that hall.

1 Like

It’s owned by MGM Resorts International…a publicly traded corporation. It was founded by the late Kirk Kerkorian.

Thanks.

I may be going tinfoil hat, but it’s beginning to seem like Mandalay Bay is somehow dirty here. Like, maybe, they were conspiring with Paddock to launder a s***ton of money and therefore turned a blind eye to lots of weirdness on his part that turned out to be him building his war machine.

Allow me to be the first to say to Mandalay Bay… Bye Felicia!

It may take a few months, but this is the end of that hotel. The millions of dollars they’re going to have to pay out will never be recouped due to, I’m sure, the boycotts and the lawsuits.

And good riddance. If they’re so damn stupid to not notify the police they deserve everything they get including prison time for the person in charge.

Um, no.

Instead of shooting at the crowd, he’d have been focused on the hallway. MGM will be paying out big money on this one.

Au contraire, it just validates the meme !

I think he shot through a locked door into the halway, that is across and not along, if the layout matches my Hotel-experience. Following the wall containing the door, would be pretty safe, police must learn such stuff.

Armed with handguns and a semi-automatic rifle, they didn’t even need to see him, just distract him by firing into the room, assuming that they arrived after he started shooting. By then, had the hotel reported the shooting, they would have had confirmation from the LVPD that there was indeed someone firing on the crowd from the hotel.

I never said that the incident could have been prevented, just minimized.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available