Discussion: Officer In Nurse Arrest Was Previously Reprimanded For Sexual Harassment

Raise the bar for police officers:
Anyone who fears Blacks and/or women are unqualified.
Once a police offices reveals these fears, they should be fired. It would save millions of dollars in payouts for damages.

2 Likes

Charlie Pierce has a good piece about the usual suspects supporting state and local efforts to prevent public disclosure of information, including this gem:

Kansas lawmakers proposed a bill that would keep the state database of fired police officers secret after Wichita television station KWCH exposed how some cities were hiring officers with checkered pasts, including a chief facing a federal investigation after being fired three times.

9 Likes

Officer In Nurse Arrest Was Previously Reprimanded For Sexual Harassment

Big surprise. Bastard probably slaps his wife too. The only reason he hasn’t killed a black man is because there are very few of them in Utah.

2 Likes

I predicted at the time that there would be skeletons found in Payne’s closet. I assumed domestic violence against wives and/or girlfriends but sexual harassment of a female colleague fits the pattern as well. What I completely fail to grasp is the cost-benefit analysis that make police departments keep ticking time bombs like Payne on the payroll. Knowing perfectly well they’re liable to blow up at any moment and create costly messes for the taxpayers to shoulder.

3 Likes

Police Unions

4 Likes

She’s lucky she’s not black. It got these fascist pigs angry enough that she was a disobedient woman.

2 Likes

C’mon, people! It’s only part of his distinguished career.

4 Likes

I admit I haven’t paid close attention, but I don’t remember many cases where the Police brass or the prosecutors were battling against the police union.

My almost-informed impression is that most disagreements with the union are reserved for contract negotiations and cops who show up to work drunk or stoned.

1 Like

At some point suspended without pay should simply be fired, and that point should at least be broached when the officer has broken the law and/or ordered another to do so. If ignorance of the law is no defense for the public, it damn well shouldn’t be for those enforcing it.

2 Likes

Remember that most police departments are almost entirely managed by police officers who have come up through the ranks. And that being aggressive enough to have more arrests than everyone else on your shift is one of the ways to become visible for promotion. It’s like asking why so many successful finance guys are lousy at judging risk.

One important thing here is that there was a civilian review board. Many departments fight such boards tooth and nail, arguing that mere civilians shouldn’t be allowed to second-guess stalwart police officers’ decisions…

5 Likes

Salt Lake City police apologized for the arrest, changed their blood-draw
policies and placed Payne and Tracy on paid administrative leave

Abuse your powers, get a paid vacation!

I’m guessing that this sort of abuse and overreach is typical and that’s why he’s still employed there.

2 Likes

Balding, pudgy. authoritarian, middle age, white dude has a problem with strong women?

3 Likes

Not that surprising if you look at the behavior of banks and savings and loans. The banks were willing to make loans to a white man with a poor credit record over a black man with an excellent credit record. Make loans to a white man over a white woman under the same circumstances, and it goes down from there.

Banks and S&Ls, who should have been looking coldly at actual credit risk and making decisions on that, actually made poor decisions and INCREASED their risk by lending to dodgy white men. Hence the CRA and other acts intended to make financial institutions document their credit standards and decisions.

The police in the US are the same and much earlier extension of the same principle into law enforcement that results in over-policing of blacks and hispanics, and under-policing of whites. As a white guy, this INCREASES my risk - since predators tend to work the herd they are near - meaning I’m more likely to be attacked by white people than black. And, in fact, the only time I ever got attacked, it was white boys in good clothes along the Charles River in Cambridge. I’ve never been physically attacked by a black or hispanic (or japanese or chinese, or…) person in my life (66 years at this point). (Well, outside of my dojo training in judo in my youth - where this was very much par for the course.)

3 Likes

Stereotyping much? The fault is with Payne, not his appearance or age.

This episode still doesn’t add up. I still haven’t seen any reporting on whether the chase that started this whole thing followed Utah Highway Patrol guidelines (if not, the officers involved had reason to hope there might be drugs or alcohol in the truck driver’s blood, to shift the blame), who made the initial request for the sample, and why it was so important to get the sample that Payne’s superior told him beforehand to arrest the nurse if she didn’t allow it.

2 Likes

Oh it’s just when any high profile court case fails to deliver justice then there is always the head of the Police Union out there defending their guys and disparaging the vicitms. Happened with Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, and Eric Garner.

2 Likes

This is a momocult operation. Why is the media afraid to tell the truth about that cult?

Excellent point. With the ongoing militarization of law enforcement we need civilian oversight more than ever.

1 Like

“Weighing charges that could include firing?”

1 Like