Discussion: Obama Rails Against Trump: He's 'Not Going To Make Your Lives Better'

Very clever on the part of the President. Trump is as distractable as a two year old.

By having Trump fire his Twitter guns at Obama (and you know heā€™ll respond), it deflects his attention from Hillary.

8 Likes

Heā€™s beginning to ramp it up. I think heā€™s going to be very articulate and effective when he finally does commit to endorsing Hillary. Then Donald, not knowing who to punch back at, is gonna really be flailing wildly. It will be a thing of beauty to see the Donald lose his shit in a very public way.

12 Likes

I saw Trump threatening to go after Obama if he were attacked, and thinking about it Iā€™d say thatā€™s a very solid piece of the argument that heā€™s mentally ill. Obamaā€™s been the subject of a constant barrage of the vilest slander possible, and itā€™s just delusional to think he could possibly give a momentā€™s thought to what Donald Trump, a person heā€™s gone out of his way to mock and disparage multiple times in the past, might say about him. At this point Trump seems to engage in magical thinking about the power of his insults and has zero real-world understanding of what actually happened during the primaries. He thinks he talked his enemies into the cornfield with superhero mind power somehow. ā€œI talked about them, and they went down,ā€ heā€™s put it in nearly exactly those terms. Amazing.

21 Likes

Trump seems to engage in magical thinking about the power of his insults

He actually said this:

ā€œMy Twitter has become so powerful that I can actually make my enemies tell the truth.ā€

Heā€™s got the cognitive abilities of a not-very-precocious 10-year old.

11 Likes

Iā€™m pretty foggy on child development but I believe thereā€™ve been models that say until a certain ageā€”4 or 5, sayā€”a child doesnā€™t really understand thereā€™s a real world out there that follows its own rules. If you put something in a box, the child believes itā€™s disappeared, and so forth. Heā€™s got that infantile sociopathic thing going onā€”he really canā€™t grasp that thereā€™s a world outside the me-centered Trumpian universe, that there are other people in it with their own identity, thoughts, and feelings, that thereā€™s a universe independent of him and indifferent to him. I doubt he ever will.

7 Likes

D. Drumpf is anal expulsive, no doubt. Freud would have been delighted to study an individual as thoroughly deranged as Il Douche.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know that I wouldnā€™t have an exaggerated sense of self-importance if I were being treated with an exaggerated sense of importance by the media.

2 Likes

To a degree, yes. But not like him. Trump is pathological. His need for adulation is being fed but itā€™s a narcotic for him. The more he gets, the more he wants. In the meantime, he grows into a bigger monster than he already was. (Thatā€™s saying a lot)

5 Likes

ā€œrailsā€? This president doesnā€™t ā€œrailā€ against anything.

11 Likes

And the really sad thing is there are millions of Americans, including many accomplished citizens, that are blindly falling in line with him. This is very scary and when he loses they will also fall for the almost certain reaction of ā€œthe election was stolen.ā€ Our country will continue to be very divided.

3 Likes

Obama: Heā€™s ā€˜Not Going To Make Your Lives Betterā€™
Trump: Indeed, thatā€™s not my job. I want to make my life better and that is all that matters. I will become a real billionaire and have even younger wive(s).

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about this too. I expect his RNC acceptance will be his maximum high, and it will come down after that. It will be interesting to see what he does when he canā€™t get a big enough fix after that.

2 Likes

Well educated people can also fall prey to the demagogueā€™s hypnosis. Drumpf is a snake-oil salesman. If someone is ill (or thinks theyā€™re ill), they can be conned by the snake-oil salesman. The sucker turns off the skeptical part of their brain and they listen to the conmanā€™s spielā€¦because they want his lies to be true. An accomplished demagogue is an extremely dangerous individual.

1 Like

Iā€™m not so sure. I suspect (and I hope Iā€™m right) he is having his highest acceptance now. The GOPer convention is likely to be a Fourth Reich horror show that will fill ordinary folks with dread, fear, and loathing.

3 Likes

A descent from narcissism to galloping megalomania followed by a complete breakdown was always in the cards and the most likely outcome. Only question is whether itā€™s a breakdown induced by defeat and the loss of everything that stands between him and his own sense of worthlessness or a Caligula-style spiral into psychotic capricious tyranny is the only question.

2 Likes

Trump may have accomplished one thing for himself. Obama ā€œrailsā€ against (more like inveighs against) Trump, is an improvement over ā€œObama humiliates Trump at Washington Correspondentā€™s Dinnerā€. People, including the President, rightfully fear a Trump regime and the possible horrors associated with it. And I think, that for a dangerously addled individual like Trump, fear and loathing is almost as good as respect.

4 Likes

Every word brilliant.

That is not going to make your lives betterā€¦ I want to have an interventionā€¦ a bunch of okey dokeā€¦ He seems to do a good job of mentioning his own nameā€¦

7 Likes

Yes, there are many possibilities, all of them bad. Iā€™m not sure that he can make it five months before he goes badshit insane and runs amok. It will be very ugly and could potentially involve multiple homicides. No, thatā€™s not really over-the-top. It could happen.

1 Like

This is true. His speech is thoughtful and measured, even when he gets fired up about something. His quiet dignity will be sorely missed.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available