Discussion: Obama: GOPers From Immigrant Families Hypocritical For Rejecting Refugees

Discussion for article #242891

"when some of those folks themselves come from families who benefited from protection when they were fleeing political persecution, that’s shameful,”

Crush.

No f*cks left to give. I love this President.

32 Likes

Obama said. “That’s not American. That’s not who we are.”

Not American, but very Texan.

16 Likes

At times like this, you really appreciate having an adult in the room.

19 Likes

Cruz is going to get particularly violent in his rhetoric on this. I saw a comment from him over the weekend, sneering at the concept of targeted bombings, basically along the lines of “they indiscriminately kill innocent civilians, so we should too!!”

All of the republican nominees are acting like the Beirut bombings didn’t even occur. And the only refugee’s worth saving are the Christian ones. Trump is now suggesting we shut down all mosques in the States.

The screeching about “radical Islam” is very quickly going to be just “Islam” by the end of the week. Which is precisely what ISIS was aiming for.

17 Likes

Religious test is a great idea because we know that there has never been an act of violence committed by other religions. Wait, there have been? Well, those are OK because they were in the name of the good religion.

That’s the basic thinking on display here by Cruz et al.

4 Likes

A system of trading one American Evangelical for every Syrian refugee would be a good policy. Certainly exchanging the membership of the Westboro Baptist Church for an equal number of Syrians would elevate our society.

9 Likes

I guess Cruz was happy we sent al those fleeing European Jews back to Europe to be gathered up and gassed to death because they were not “Christians”, huh?

7 Likes

I thought it was a Jindal/Cruz twofer…

1 Like

ISIS: Perverting Islam for ideological ends. Ted Cruz: Perverting Christianity for ideological ends.

11 Likes

Unfortunately Mr.President, there is a faction of our society who are.

2 Likes

Not Just Cruz

2 Likes

Cruz is smart enough to understand the Constitution. But he’s craven enough to know which way the wind is blowing and, rather than show leadership, will play for cheap votes from his base.

5 Likes

Cheap suits, cheap talk, he’s Cubnadian…

1 Like

I thought that John Bush the Acronymn ¿Jeb? also wanted a religious test. This was not limited to Rafael Cruz.

Although the most virulent forms of terrorism in the post 9/11 era seemed to emanate from a Wahabbi sunni religious ideology background, I am sure that President Obama’s immigration team has good ways of risk assessment that do not involve religion but leverage individual behaviors and actions

“‘There is no meaningful risk of Christians committing acts of terror,’ Cruz said at a South Carolina campaign event on Sunday, according to the Washington Post.”

Oh. So if it’s not his church or child, the terror doesn’t count?

3 Likes

Ah, com’on - they know exactly how tricky they themselves are, so why would they deny that same quality in any membership of any identifiable ethnic or sectarian group that seeks entry into the U.S. under refugee status? They KNOW the danger first hand: they’re PART of it!

Also, why oh why did we never think to exclude Kenyan “student economist” former children of Muslim warlords from coming here and dropping anchor babies all willynilly in hopes of them seizing the White House? We really should have a no-immigrants policy in place 500 years ago and none of this would be a problem now.

2 Likes

A cooler head prevails.

1 Like

An immigrant calling for the testing of potential immigrants, Wow

2 Likes

This reminds me of my favorite quote from Jesus, “Suffer the little children to come unto me after they pass a stringent religious test, background screening, credit check and they get their vaccinations.”

7 Likes