Discussion: NYT Reports Trump Camp Signalling Pence Will Be VP, Citing Anon Sources

Trump-Pence. Sounds like a worthless coin made out of used condom wrappers.

11 Likes

So the guy running as a ā€œnot establishment outsiderā€ picks a total establishment insider. This will end well.

5 Likes

Has Christie been put on suicide watch yet?

http://f.tqn.com/y/politicalhumor/1/S/y/b/6/christie-what-have-i-done.jpg

6 Likes

I had the exact same thought. It occurred to me heā€™d do it without giving a hot damn how changing his mind would effect Pence and his family. It also occurred to me that Trump would have no qualms about lying to the Pences, leaking that itā€™s Pence, and then choosing a different candidate.

7 Likes

Trump is just fuckinā€™ with the MSM. And this is as good a time as any to give a counter-intuitive alternative to the ā€œHillary sucks as a campaigner/human being because sheā€™s not outpolling Trump by double digits.ā€ meme. Hillary has had some downers, lately and sheā€™s better one on one and in small groups than in staged rallies. But, Trump is where he is because heā€™s a skilled demagogue and yes, politician. Trump is an expert at manipulating the MSM, outfoxing the fact checkers, and reflecting ā€œthe folk wisdomā€, racial and ethnic animosities, and fear, back on millions of (mostly) existentially anxious white folks. Trump is where he is because the MSM is incompetent and in a certain sick kind of way, he has earned it.

13 Likes

How so? Bayh has a good chance to win the Senate seat and now the IN R party has to scramble to find someone to run for Gov last minute. Plus dump a bunch of money into that race where they need it elsewhere.
I admit I donā€™t know anything about the Dem candidate, but I googled a few polls last week when Pence first came up as possible VP choice and found that the Gov race was within the margin of error at 4%.
Looks ripe for the picking to me, but itā€™s Indiana so you may be right too.

2 Likes

I think the headline should read ā€œNYT Reports Trump Camp signaling Pence will be VP Nominee, Citing Anon Sources.ā€

4 Likes

From the ā€œDo No Harmā€ school of thought,Pence is the obvious choice among those who have publicly expressed receptiveness to the VP nod.

Pence hates all the right people as well as an entire gender. If youā€™re trying to lose, or simply trying to alienate as many people as possible, heā€™s a good call.

Heā€™s completely worthless if youā€™re trying to actually win, however. Iā€™m still not sure thatā€™s a Trump objective.

4 Likes

On Trumpā€™s relative silence, I really think thatā€™s a sign Trump was thoroughly warned not to fuck up in the days before the convention. But heā€™s like a spoiled, hyper, brat who has been on his very best behavior in the weeks before Christmas. Once the fat man slides down the chimney and little Johnny eyes his haul, all bets are off and heā€™ll be back to pulling his little sisterā€™s hair and harassing the cat. Once he knows they canā€™t take the nomination from him, Trump will be back to being Trump. Everything heā€™s doing now is just to reassure the party until theyā€™re officially stuck with him.

7 Likes

As another poster replied-- it could be harder cuz IN wants to get rid of Pence with a vengeance.
Vengeance being a good choice of a word-- as it would also entail enabling Trump.

And while I recall BHO winning IN in 2008?
TBH-- I was snarking about the purpling of Indiana. :grin:

jw1

2 Likes

The speaking list at the convention sounds pretty ā€¦ amazing.

I wonder if the networks other than Fox are going to insist on covering every minute. (and then cut away from the dem convention after 15 minutes)

1 Like

Wasnā€™t IN the first state to test the whole religious freedom/right to discriminate against gay people legislation? And didnā€™t he also try to defund PP? This is a ā€œdo no harmā€ with the GOP base pick that, IMO, plays into the exact narrative Democrats are using to describe life under a President Trump.

2 Likes

I agreeā€¦with the caveat thrown in that they are silencing Trump right as he was set to begin his manic/depressive cycle. I definitely agree that they wanted him muzzled ahead of the convention, but I do wonder if this will be a trend for the general campaignā€¦Trump going silent every 3 weeks or so?

Precisely right. This is an offering/signal to the GOP elites that Trump isnā€™t completely insane. This is an attempt to shore up support within his own partyā€¦similar to Palin in '08 and Ryan in '12. It has zero appeal outside of that circle.

Assuming he is the pick. This is actually starting to sound like a trial balloon to get the blessings from some of those GOP elitesā€¦and if they donā€™t get that, they name someone else tomorrow.

3 Likes

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? So this means no ā€œMoonbase Callistaā€ until at least 2020? Outrageous!

Newt was so shocked, he had to sit down. And then, somewhat a melancholy sight, he began to hum, ā€œThe Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia.ā€

The VP choice was definitely a cluster. The final three of Christie, Gingrich, and Pence isnā€™t exactly a dream team. If Pence gets the nom I think it is more by default, given what sleaze buckets Bridgeboy and Gingrich are.

The alternatives being Christie/Gingrich/Sessions make Pence the ā€œDo No Harmā€ choice by default. All known candidates who might be better ā€œDo No Harmā€ candidates have publicly said they are not interested.

1 Like

I donā€™t think so. I think this was a particularly unique and delicate time. Itā€™s literally the only time the establishment had the upper hand on Trump, where he needed something from them more than they need something from him. And then heā€™s had some improved polling which tends to settle him down. Plus, heā€™s got his big pageant next week where heā€™ll be crowned bestest Republican of them all. If there was a week or two to control Trump this is it. This opportunity wonā€™t come around again. I expect a complete unraveling and total meltdown during the Democratic convention.

1 Like

Donā€™t look a gift horse in the mouth.

Look at it from Trumpā€™s point of view. Pence is the least known of all of his choices. Gingrich is morally flawed. His nomination would simply show up Trumpā€™s moral failings. Sessions is a stone cold racist. I donā€™t know if you can get negative black votes but Sessions makes that a possibility. Christie is suspected to be a guy who shut down one of the busiest bridges on the planet as political payback. He has real baggage. Pence promises to deliver the evangelical vote that he hasnā€™t had much traction with up to now. Pence is the least bad of all of Trumpā€™s choices.

1 Like

Nice Hail Mary for Pence. His approval ratings in Indiana indicate he wonā€™t be re-elected. Now, excuse me, I have to put on some sunscreen to protect me from this blinding whiteness.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available