Discussion: NYT: Cohen 'Vehemently' Denies Trump Dossier Allegations About Himself

2 Likes

Shit! I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near that asshole when he gets vehement.

17 Likes

Parse his lawyer’s response carefully. He doesn’t vehemently deny the stuff in the dossier ever happened. He just says you can’t prove it.

27 Likes

"Mr. Cohen vehemently denies the claims made in the dossier about him,” Ryan wrote, according to the report. "We have not uncovered a single document that would in any way corroborate the dossier’s allegations regarding Mr. Cohen, nor do we believe that any such document exists.”

“Nor have we ever even looked for any corroborating document.”

21 Likes

When you’re vehemently denying, you’re vehemently losing.

34 Likes

Well, “are false and remain wholly unsubstantiated" is a pretty strong denial.

1 Like

I was thinking, when you use vehemently, there is usually something going on.

14 Likes

“False” doesn’t mean “never happened” in legalese. And “unsubstantiated” = “you can’t prove it, either.” That leaves the door open for discovering that “sure, he did meet with those Russian agents, and he did talk about the campaign and stuff, but it wasn’t what you think…”

11 Likes

“Cohen blamed Felix Sater, his friend and another longtime Trump associate, for pushing him to reach out.”

“I have no free will. I am incapable of choosing between good and evil. I have no autonomy or responsibility.”

So he’s pleading insanity?

23 Likes

If you can’t believe Cockholster’s lawyer’s lawyer who can you believe?

(Does anybody know if Cockholster’s lawyer’s lawyer has a lawyer yet?)

20 Likes

MAGAGAGAGA

8 Likes

"…remain wholly unsubstantiated.” = It’s true, hope you don’t have the evidence yet.

13 Likes

Cohen gives you that sense that he just realized he’s fucked.

In piecing together this story, I’m of the opinion that Trump used Cohen/Sater because they had strong, but not indispensable connects in Russia. He saw them like a booster rocket on space shuttle treason.

Using Sater, a mobster and likely Russian double agent, gave Putin a signal that Trump understood the criminal angle to Russian politics and was ok with it being used to help his election prospects. After all, Trump had been laundering Russian money for over a decade through real estate. I suspect Putin himself has held an indirect ownership interest of a Trump owned, leased or licensed property at some point in this long arc. The amounts laundered through Trump properties and the capitalizing impact of that cash infusion (Trump was able to leverage that $ to get more financing and to continue servicing existing debt) far exceeded Trump’s financial interest in any TT Moscow. TT Moscow was a front, a cover story to get access and keep negotiating a deal. As Trump’s trajectory in the GOP primary soared, the two changed the terms of their arrangement which resulted in the Mayflower Hotel speech. During this period, Trump seemed to jettison Cohen/Sater and used other intermediaries, probably ones recommend by or through Putin. In short, there is a gap between that January '16 email from Cohen to Peskov and the appointment of Manafort as campaign manager and the assembling of the very pro-Russian foreign policy team in late March 2016 that needs some filling. Steele Dossier points to the Rosneft sale as the key financial incentive. I suspect there is evidence about that somewhere to be found.

25 Likes

“My client maintains that the charges are totally without merit, and he will vigorously defend himself in court.”

The Preamble to many a Settlement or Plea Bargain.

15 Likes

7 Likes

Particularly with all the different alphabets and translators and stuff. Various people are being treated so unfairly for what could just be a misunderstanding. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

10 Likes

Or a nolo contendre

7 Likes

Oh, well, if he denied it “vehemently,” that changes everything. Everyone should just pack up their silly investigations and go home, then, I guess?

10 Likes

6 Likes

I keep thinking of Jeffy Sessions doing his whole affronted Southern dignity act during his Congressional testimony…

12 Likes