Discussion: NPR 'Clarifies' Cokie Roberts' Role After She Pens Anti-Trump Column

Discussion for article #247334

Often have disagreed with Cokie, but have never lost respect for her.

8 Likes

Roberts called on the “rational wing” of the Republican party to mobilize against Trump in a syndicated column published in late February.

Did someone tell Cokie that Reince’s previous answer to this current insanity was that it wasn’t what a candidate said about a topic that was important, but how they said it.

“If [Trump] is nominated by a major party — let alone elected — the reputation of the United States would suffer a devastating blow around the world,” she wrote. “Republicans of good will and good sense must try to stop him.”

Someone needs to ask her to name one…

37 Likes

Cokie Roberts has been a shill for corporate Republicanism for decades. I don’t give a sh&t what she says or thinks. Neither should anybody who cares about what NPR used to be.

35 Likes

Wow, go Cokie! I also have listened to her calm rationale over the years even though she leans right 99% of the time. Still, I find it odd that she may be one of the very few card-carrying Republicans who may hold some sway over voters even though she is not a legislator. Heck, they are mostly too chicken to come out against the Trump monster.

6 Likes

Time for Cokie Roberts and Garrison Keillor to be retired by NPR. I’m no longer asking. I’m begging.

7 Likes

Seriously. Because THAT is THE problem the GOP is faced with now.

13 Likes

My brother-in-law would do but he has no national, state or even local platform to be heard from. He’s a former career Army guy who is damned smart and thoughtful. One of those rarest of rare GOPers. Hence nobody would listen to him.

9 Likes

Which is weird, since both her parents were Democratic members of Congress. I don’t dispute what you’re saying is the truth. Just pointing out that she looks to have fallen far from that tree.

2 Likes

I think Garrison Keiller is “self-retiring” at the end of this year.

1 Like

Cokie Roberts isn’t all that bad. She’s not her mother, for sure; she’s not even up to her father. But she’s better than her lobbyist brother was.

Anyhow, if she’s a commentator for NPR, why can’t she commentate? Unless she’s a reporter, in which case some people need to sit down and discuss contracts.

3 Likes

Same thing has happened with NPR as a whole: they were beaten down by Fed under Bush 41 and Bush 43 sealed the deal. NPR (I should emphasize–the national service–not the often-heroic local affiliate) has been a Beltway shill ever since the '90s. Spoken as an ex-NPR producer and announce, I find this sad.

31 Likes

Agreed. The syndicated stuff that appears on NPR stations from the local affiliates is often excellent, though. Diane Reim is a national treasure.

3 Likes

Still?

1 Like

The people who count Roberts as a corporatist republican shill are in a sense lending weight to her argument. Even mammon-worshipping republicans who don’t care about most of the citizens of their country think Trump is going too far. It’s as if instead of losing Walter Cronkite on the Vietnam war, you’d lost John Wayne.

7 Likes

Keillor is tired, but still relevant and insightful. Roberts sold her soul a long, long time ago for corporate speaking fees. I am sad over Keillor retiring, but sad Roberts is still on anyone’s air.

13 Likes

That’s the emerging meme, however. See Rubio’s comments from yesterday.

They are shocked, I tell you, shocked, to find gambling going on at Rick’s.

Because their party simply isn’t made up of racists and ideologues who consider any and everything viable as long as they win. Its made up of good will and good sense. They simply don’t understand how Trump slipped in the back door.

16 Likes

Yeah, still. But his wife? (geesh!) She watches Fox 24/7 while he’s at work.
He’ is a stand up guy I can have a rational debate with because as I said he’s thoughtful, aware and is street smart in addition to being educated. Why he’s a republican is beyond my understanding. But, there it is. Could be his Army career. He still very much has military bearing.

edit

I see comments are still struggling to get posted. (sigh)…

1 Like

Keillor has never worked for NPR but for its various public broadcasting competitors.

How dare Cokie Roberts pen something that states the obvious, something which might actually state the emperor has no clothes!

13 Likes