Discussion: North Carolina Resident Hangs White Flag On Confederate Statue

1 Like

Better a white flag than a white sheet.

8 Likes

A soiled pair of tighty-whities - preferably of the Trump brand - would be a more appropriate tribute to our fallen sons of the gallant South.

3 Likes

Maybe we could negotiate with those who feel their “history” is being neglected … they can keep all of the statues, but all of the guys sitting on horses have to have a scarlet “L” emblazoned across their chests and foreheads … and they all have to be re-fitted with Trump wigs and each statue has to list how many Confederate deaths this “hero” caused … not even Union deaths … just Confederate. I do believe that would put things into a much more accurate historical perspective.

2 Likes

As Scots have suggested, placing traffic cones on the heads of Generic Mass-Produced Dixie Statues is one way to start de-sanctifying those idols to the cult of the Lost Cause.

13 Likes

10 Likes

Melting the statues down will create a lot of good manufacturing jobs. Then Trump would take credit for them and forget about what happened.

1 Like

A local neighbor has been taking the flag down when he sees it up and told the TV station that since there’s “a lot going on in our nation right now” the flag could cause things to “escalate in this area and we don’t need that to happen,” the neighbor, Chris Dobrusky, said.

Because, if there is anyone with ties to the antebellum South, it is someone named Dobrusky

8 Likes

They haven’t shot at or abused each other. I think this is actually a rather charming story.

I hope neither of them is targeted, and till proven otherwise, I take Dobrusky at his word.

Mr. Bopes, I salute your fantastic wit and dedication. This is so awesome! I’d love to see it catch on.

15 Likes

…on the wrong side of history.

Great way to phrase it.

Hey I wonder if folks would mind if we erected some Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito monuments? You know just to promote heritage and history no hate! Morons.

A local neighbor has been taking the flag down when he sees it up and told the TV station that since there’s “a lot going on in our nation right now” the flag could cause things to “escalate in this area and we don’t need that to happen,” the neighbor, Chris Dobrusky, said.

I can’t really blame him for that either.

Just met a woman and her daughter that was going back to school at UVA and the mother was a bit worried and I said I could understand. The daughter thought that is would have very little effect on the University since the statue wasn’t on campus and googling a bit this has been going on for most of the year with is recent demo only being the latest and probably only making national news due to the intentional killing.

2 Likes

And put it around his neck so he could carry it around to remind him of history…heritage you know, no hate what so every.

1 Like

Nice work, Mr. Bopes!

In other news, this is sad, but not surprising.

Matthew Dowd‏Verified account @matthewjdowd

Not a single member of Trump’s Evangelical Council has resigned. We have learned corporate America has a greater moral compass. So so sad.

Deplorable.

11 Likes

For context, this “memorial” was erected in 1924, six decades after the end of the war, by the “United Daughters of the Confederacy.”

The UDC, for further context, has been almost universally cited by historians as promoting both a white-washed version of the Old South and a thinly-veiled white supremacist agenda.

6 Likes

Alt Trump: Confederacy lost. I just don’t like losers. Racists should just go away to Russia where they belong. South just sucks.

2 Likes

“a participation trophy”

Sounds familiar.

2 Likes

“It’s a participation trophy for someone on the wrong side of history.”

Trump publicly stands with Nazis and the Klan – on the wrong side of history, decency, and humanity itself.

And the whole world is watching.

Make no mistake – an electoral hurricane is coming.

Ryan and McConnell face a choice.

Silence, collaboration, and political suicide in the bunker – or self preservation?

7 Likes

May you be a prescient as you often are witty.

3 Likes

The white flag is a nice touch, but I prefer the “Full Durham” treatment

4 Likes

" It’s a participation trophy for someone on the wrong side of history."

Love that! And those people who keep taking down the white flag must be such special snowflakes.

4 Likes