Discussion: New Zealand Citizens Open To Gun Reform After Massacre

1 Like

Ardern noted that attempts to reform had failed before under pressure from the gun lobby.

So does the NRA have an international branch? Do they have a go team that will jump into action at the sound of “gun reform” anywhere in the white world?

4 Likes

I don’t see this as a place where you need guns to live to feel safe,” Sharma said. “I can understand in the U.S. maybe, but here it’s a different story.

It actually isn’t different in the U.S. The notion that you’re in greater danger of being the target of a violent crime in the U.S. is a myth, with one notable exception: because the place is awash in firearms, your chances of being the victim of a gunshot are higher. But most of those tragedies are accidents, family disputes that get out of hand, and suicides. So, people think they need the guns to defend them from the guns - which isn’t true.

9 Likes

Hint: Russia!

6 Likes

In Australia, a virtual ban on private ownership of semi-automatic rifles and a government-funded gun buyback cut the size of the country’s civilian arsenal by almost a third.

The ban followed a 1996 massacre in which a lone gunman used assault rifles to kill 35 people in Tasmania state in 1996.

4 Likes

Surprisingly permissive laws. There may be an exception if you’re provably a resident who wants to hunt and has a permit, but for the most part non-citizens can’t buy guns here at all.

4 Likes

What a lovely place, where they identify a major problem one day and rectify it the next.

I just hope things don’t change too much when all the billionaires like Peter Thiel move down there when the world breaks. Billionaires make for bad neighbors.

8 Likes

Has no one told them it’s too soon to talk about gun reform? Disrespectful to those killed and their families and all.

6 Likes

Thoughts and Prayers seem to work much faster in the Southern Hemisphere, or so it seems. Maybe their end is tilted closer to heaven?

2 Likes

We support it too, but the NRA and R-Caucus won’t allow it.

6 Likes

11 Likes

Thanks, @misterneutron – you save me having to type this out.

It is a simple fact that the people most likely to be injured by firearms in your home are your family members.

3 Likes

And the rest of us would really appreciate it if the gun-owners would stick to just shooting themselves and other gun-nuts, then maybe the problem would solve itself through attrition.

5 Likes

That’s how I was raised.

Of course, my parents were devout Christians who practiced their faith, and my father offered his life in defense of the country, of me.

But when one of us kids used something improperly, it was taken away from all of us. A very powerful lesson, which, I’ve since learned, is also easy to implement and police. Lesson quickly learned.

Modern Republican conservatives are very permissive.

1 Like

Excerpt from NYT reporting on the day it happened. It’s about as easy as it is here.

As the law stands now, any person age 16 or older with an entry-level firearm license can keep any number of common rifles and shotguns without an official record of those guns being kept.

Most of the guns in circulation can be sold on the internet or through ads in newspapers, and the most popular types of firearms can lawfully change hands in private homes or even hotel parking lots with no requirement that a record of the transaction be kept.

Here is what the Japanese are required to do before obtaining a gun.

1. Take a firearm class and pass a written exam, which is held up to three times a year. 2) Get a doctor’s note saying you are mentally fit and do not have a history of drug abuse. 3) Apply for a permit to take firing training, which may take up to a month. 4) Describe in a police interview why you need a gun. 5) Pass a review of your criminal history, gun possession record, employment, involvement with organized crime groups, personal debt and relationships with friends, family and neighbors. 6) Apply for a gunpowder permit. 7) Take a one-day training class and pass a firing test. 8) Obtain a certificate from a gun dealer describing the gun you want. 9) If you want a gun for hunting, apply for a hunting license. 10) Buy a gun safe and an ammunition locker that meet safety regulations. 11) Allow the police to inspect your gun storage. 12) Pass an additional background review. 13) Buy a gun.

@castor_troy

4 Likes

About 99 percent of American gun owners could not fulfill this requirement.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I’ll bet a lot of people get shot in Japan, you know, since it’s so hard to get guns there.

Then, sometimes I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Starting in July 2019 CA will require background checks before buying ammo, a proposal from Gov. Newsom while he was still Lt. Gov. It’s considered progress but it sounds like what item six describes.

1 Like

These are terrible statistics. And for this country they’re somewhat in line with Yemen

1. Go to a gun market or find a seller online. 2) Buy a gun.

NZ doesn’t require most guns to be registered.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available